HELP - Which Hamble marina

Step1

Visit site
This is a bit eleventh hour but I cannot make a decision! Bringing my new (to me) Targa 38 back to the Hamble tomorrow and have an option to berth at either Port Hamble or Swanwick. Some background - this is our first proper boat, so I'm less experienced than a novice although have plans to rectify this, have two young kids and with no real boat experience want a decent boatyard on hand. It's definitely one of these two as like both, but my concerns about Port Hamble is the tide, it's very busy and more yachts than mobos than Swanwick. Concerns about Swanwick is whether it is too remote and whether there is less to do in and around the marina for the kids. At least at Hamble they can run along the front, throw stones in the river and easily get ice creams! Some opinions from people who have used either or both much appreciated. I need to make a decision first thing tomorrow, otherwise i'll be up the river without a berth!

Whitelighter

Visit site
No problem with tide at PH - it's always going one of two ways perpendicular to the berths and doesn't eddy. Makes ferry gliding into and out if the berth with little or no throttle a breeze.

A bit of own boat tuition (like a day) will have you berthing slow like a pro.

burgundyben

Visit site
No problem with tide at PH - it's always going one of two ways perpendicular to the berths and doesn't eddy. Makes ferry gliding into and out if the berth with little or no throttle a breeze.

A bit of own boat tuition (like a day) will have you berthing slow like a pro.

Parallel?

The spring tide on the Hamble does most of its ebb in 3 hours, so its very fast, its pretty evident in both marinas but I suspect easier to deal with in PH.

Lots more to do in and around Hamble than at Swanwick.

Beware, at rush hour is can be a 30 min grind off the M27 and down Hamble Lane, its still a problem getting to Swanwick, but not as bad as there is a rat run.

maby

Visit site
Port Hamble, of course! It's part of the MDL chain and you'll be buying space in dozens of marinas around the southern UK and northern France.

AllanG

Visit site
My preference is Swanwick, but maybe that's because it's where I've kept my various boats for the past 6 years. It's true that tide can be an issue for some berths, but you soon get to know when and when not to attempt berthing.

In my experience, it's easier to get to than PH, especially on busy weekends.

Premier also have free berthing at their other marinas, plus other bertholder benefits, including Refer a Friend discounts, (PM me if you'd be interested in this).

Plenty of lovely walks along the river Hamble, and ice creams can be bought from the Force 4 chandlery, so kids sorted!!

Also, if you have a dinghy, you can easily go up the River Hamble on a Spring tide to the Horse & Jockey pub, which is a great trip, which the kids will love.

Last edited:

lisilou

Visit site
We've been at Swanwick a few years now and love it. I find everyone there very friendly and the marina staff I find superb. Previously, we were at Hamble Point. A very different vibe but equally as good. Remember, if you choose Swanwick you'll have a long river run into the Solent. Personally, I like that but others might find it a time consuming drag. One factor which may swing things for you is that MDL have far more freedom berth options westward than Premier so if you're planning to journey that way and stay over, it's worth considering.
edit: At Swanwick, you've also got lovely walks along the river right down to Warsash.
L
:)

Last edited:

superheat6k

Visit site
I am surprised you discount Mercury, also MDL, and more laid back than PH. Or go under the bridges to The Cabin, Foulkes / Riverside, or Eastlands. Fees reduce by almost 50% and no problems for a sports cruiser under the bridges, even on top of springs.

Plenty for the kids to do anywhere around the Hamble River - we have two and they don't get bored living here. Cinemas at Southampton, Whiteley, Port Solent (by car) and Fareham. Play places for younger kids at Hedge End, Southampton, Portsmouth - Hilsea just off M27. Country Parks at Netley / Hamble, Upper Hamble, Itchen Valley, Holly Hill (Sarisbury Green). Swimming pools also at the towns nearby.

Playparks most places within 10-15 minutes walk.

PhillM

Visit site
I've been in both and mercury, now in ocean village. How old are the kids? OV has a lot more for teenage kids. Cinema, town, etc.

Swanwick has more for younger kids. Mannor farm, a short drive away. locals walks to Universial and down to warsash. Child and dog friendly pubs.

Depending on where you live, Swanwick is easier to get to than any other Hamble marina , except deacons and Universial.

KevB

Visit site
As a visitor to both, I'd say Swanwick. A couple of good chandlers, park across the road for the kids, less hectic, lovely dinghy ride up the river under the bridge. And it's Premier, giving you access to some of the best marina's on the south coast....

EugeneR

Visit site
We looked at Eastlands, but it is very near the motorway, and would surely suffer with the noise? Foulkes looks like a tip.

It depends where along the pontoon you are. We live on the furthest end and don't have any issues with noise there. Closer, yes we had.

Garold

Visit site
I've been in both and mercury, now in ocean village. How old are the kids? OV has a lot more for teenage kids. Cinema, town, etc.

Swanwick has more for younger kids. Mannor farm, a short drive away. locals walks to Universial and down to warsash. Child and dog friendly pubs.

Depending on where you live, Swanwick is easier to get to than any other Hamble marina , except deacons and Universial.

If you base yourself in Hamble Point, you can use Ocean Village as well with MDL Freedom Berthing.

The trip down the Hamble from/to Swanwick can feel tedious some days.

Equally, on windy days, when the SW winds set in, Swanwick can feel very protected and comfortable, compared to Hamble Point.

interesting to see what you decide.

Garold

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
We looked at Eastlands, but it is very near the motorway, and would surely suffer with the noise? Foulkes looks like a tip.
I'll show Anthoney Foulkes your comment, I can tell you I've been berthed in a few marinas in my time.
I'm berthed here because I was fed up with the major players running there marinas for the share holders and nothing more.
This yard is a family owned yard where nothing is too much trouble, it's safe and friendly, if you want something you just ask and it's done .
No phone calls on hold or unanswered emails sat in somebodies in box that has left the company but the directors forget to forward it to someone who actually works there. You speak to the man and get an answer straight away.
No contractors fees or parking charges , no red tape, no blame for something you might have put in there waste bin that you shouldn't have done, need I go on.

superheat6k

Visit site
I'll show Anthoney Foulkes your comment, I can tell you I've been berthed in a few marinas in my time.
I'm berthed here because I was fed up with the major players running there marinas for the share holders and nothing more.
This yard is a family owned yard where nothing is too much trouble, it's safe and friendly, if you want something you just ask and it's done .
No phone calls on hold or unanswered emails sat in somebodies in box that has left the company but the directors forget to forward it to someone who actually works there. You speak to the man and get an answer straight away.
No contractors fees or parking charges , no red tape, no blame for something you might have put in there waste bin that you shouldn't have done, need I go on.
+1 to VPs comments
Paul (Rafiki) Whereas I can understand your casual observation, it is one of very few real boat yards left, certainly on the Hamble. Anthony has worked very hard to bring the place up and has a full yard for his troubles and with a waiting list, indeed trying to park this afternoon meant I had to block in one of the parked boats, as the place is approaching capacity, yet the rates remain steady and fair, and there is still always somewhere to park (free).

Anthony is slowly working on the second barge to create a new venue on the Hamble.

Plus the berth holders party, which is due this year, is a night out not to be missed. You can come as our guests if you wish, then you can see for yourself what a real yard is about. Indeed you will las likely as not find Anthony on the tractor or inside someone's bilge. You will never see him in a suit, or with clean hands.

Step1

Visit site
Thanks all for your comments and feedback. My new boat is now safely nestled in her new berth in Port Hamble. The thing that swung it was the Freedom berthing element. Since this is our first season it will give us some flexibility to go and explore and if it gets too noisy then I'm sure we could move up to Mercury. So thanks for your insight once again. This forum has been invaluable to me over the past twelve months while I've been looking. Despite running in thick fog for most of the delivery trip today, which was a little nerve racking but good experience, I have a massive smile on my face this evening. Long may it continue!

paul salliss

Visit site
......and Brighton :D

You beat me to it, re Brighton

Premier is like a restaurant chain, it's all OK, not much of it is great, and it all costs more than it should, but wait, I can hear the tap tap on a key board from here as someone runs to defend their precious Marina