Help and advice

pcv

Visit site
Help and advice

I’m hopefully going to buy my first powered boat (rag and stick man up to now) and would like some advice.

The boat is a Rinker190, with a 4.3L mercruiser and having no idea of inboard engines I would ask your advice.

The yard has offered to take me out next week and will service the engine if I go ahead with the purchase.

Any advice on the engine and what to look for would be of help.

Thanks Pete

alan006

Visit site
I had a Searay with the same engine. In my opinion the Mercruiser is a good engine to go for, parts are a lot cheaper than Volvo (you can get them direct from the USA if you want). I don't know how old your package is but what can cause problems is corrosion and failure of the exhaust manifolds. Most of these engines are raw water cooled and the waterways in the exhaust manifold can corrode and block up. Its hard to form a view as to what condition the manifolds are in without taking them off and having a look.
Best of luck with it.

ArthurWood

Visit site
I agree with alan0006. Take a look at the exhaust elbow/risers joints where they meet the exhaust manifolds. If there are rusty signs of leakage, the elbows/risers will have to be removed and the gaskets replaced (not a big job). At the same time the manifolds can be inspected for blockage/excessive corrosion. Here they last about five years before needing replacement (big job!). The elbows/risers themselves may be stainless steel so will be OK apart from possible blockages in the water channels.
Also check for signs of water leakage at the circulating pump on the front of the engine. If this leaks, salt water is flung everywhere.

Check colour of engine oil and if there is water in it; check colour of transmission fluid - should be red/pink, not dark brown.

Engine max RPM should be around 4500 under load. Cruise at 3200-3500.

damon

Visit site
I have a Rinker 190, it's a great boat. Great seakeeping hull, very versatile boat with a more traditional look than a more modern boat (doesn't resemble the inside of a refrigerator)
It will handle a bit of a chop, I've had water crashing over the screen on occasion, and it'll do 30kts flat out on a flat sea with a clean bum.

On the downside it is getting on a bit now so maintainance costs will be higher. The 4.3 is a carburetor engine, I've had the carb filling with crud from the aged tank, choke crudding up, coil corroding, hydraulic pipes on the drive leaking, trim sensor packing up. This in three years, so to be expected, you just need to keep ontop of maintainance issues. On purchase I had new gimble bearing and bellows etc.

Expect to pay anywhere from 4 to 9 grand for one, mine was 8, it came on a few year old SBS bunked braked UK trailer and was generally in good order and tidy, had bimini, tonneau and full cover.

I can launch and retrieve singlehanded, you have to power it on and off the trailer. You'll need a hefty 4x4 to tow it, it's a pretty heavy boat.

pcv

Visit site
Thanks for the reply's I’ve read about the elbows/risers and manifolds. Sound’s scary!
I have a little engine know-how, having owned a VW camper I could change the engine in two hours and I use to have a BMC 1.5 in a old fishing boat, that I rebuilt due to neglect by the previous owner.

The engine has a fuel injection system fitted and I’ve been told the engine has been serviced by a previous yard.

If I need spares (cheap) who could you recommend?

Thanks

Pete

BartW

www.amptec.be
check if you have the 4.3MPI, this is the one with electronic fuel injection, 4.3L and 4.3LH have standard carb.
I have good experience with both, but MPI is really better, alway's smooth start, very low idle RPM, acceptable fuel consumption. they have never let me down !
check risers and waterpump as mentioned above, also check the 2 hoses in the bell housing (part between engine and drive) these hoses need replacing every 3 to 5 years.
and check all other stuff on the drive, drive oil, lubrication, anodes, impeccable propellor, ...
but nevertheless very maintenance friendly, easy acces.. lots of info on the web. The 4.3 + AlphaI drive is probably the most sold inboard engine in the world, so parts are available almost everywhere.
Rinker 190 + 4.3, nice combination, you will have a lot of fun with it !