Handheld Digital Compass or Handheld GPS

pij27

Visit site
Wonder if anyone here has purchased a Digital compass, advertised in RNLI shop among others, and if they are any good to use as a back-up and one to use in the tender? Or would I be better off looking at a handheld GPS instead. Thoughts? Digital compass for £40 or GPS handheld from £100.

ashtead

Visit site
You might buy a watch with gps if planning to invest or a mobile app even? Handheld would seem simpler surely -I have 2 in chart table having been gifted one by a retiring sailor . I did rather like the ones though with a small handle below the compass made by sestrel.

Stemar

Visit site
If I needed one, personally, I'd go for the compass. I already have a GPS in my phone, which is almost always in my pocket when I'm away from the boat. However, with a compass in my binoculars, I don't see the need.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
It depends what you want it for (and also whether it would duplicate or supplement anything that you may have aboard another boat).

I'm a bit sceptical myself about digital compasses, as if it's for emergency/'life-saving' use you might find the battery's dead when you most need it. If it's just for finding your direction, I would have thought you could get a conventional compass for less than £40 (but I never cease to be surprised at how expensive things are these days).

Many (most?) phones have a GPS function, and will indicate which direction you are moving in. You can have non-marine Ordnance Survey mapping (sometimes more useful inshore/inland that marine charts) for the whole country via an phone (and computer) app costing about £25 a year, and get any UK OS map via mobile data, or download your area of interest in advance (e.g. in a read of no.

tillergirl

Visit site
I had one of those original digital compasses.... was it 30 years ago? Very easy but very difficult. :unsure: When you are in a seaways the boat is, of course, constantly moving. Dead easy to point and press the button. And brilliant to move instantly to another object and take a bearing instantly. But in a seaway have you pressed exactly the right moment to aim it. I found large cocked hats and I didn't really trust it. When I used a standard handheld compass you can see the card moving and it is easy to get to the motion and get a bearing that you trust. Of course it takes longer to go to a second object but my cocked hats became smaller. I've still got it somewhere but it no longer works. The handheld is older and bizarrely still works. :LOL:

lustyd

Visit site
+1 for a watch. The Fenix 5 and Forerunner 935 had a compass and were excellent, now going for less than £100 on Ebay. The Fenix 5 plus allows installation of charts too and is about £200 on Ebay. The newer Fenix 7 and Epix are truly amazing devices, but somewhat more expensive.
fenix 5 plus for sale | eBay

If you're a diver, the Garmin Descent does all that but with the addition of dive computer functionality.

lustyd

Visit site
I found large cocked hats and I didn't really trust it
But then in the 30 years since, drawing cocked hats has become somewhat pointless and just results in a triangle next to (statistically speaking...) the GPS fix location :ROFLMAO:

Billjratt

Visit site
The OP has stipulated two different tools for different jobs... As mentioned above, he probably already has multiple devices with GPS capability, So if he needs a handheld compass as well, he should go and buy one - it doesn't need to be digital, and I bet it doesn't get used as often as originally anticipated.

pij27

Visit site
Thanks for the responses. Generally just wanted to know if anyone had used the compass that's being sold by rnli shop. The option of using a handheld gps was that they have a compass function

alan_d

Visit site
Thanks for the responses. Generally just wanted to know if anyone had used the compass that's being sold by rnli shop. The option of using a handheld gps was that they have a compass function
Just remember that the "compass" derived from GPS data will not tell you which way you are pointing but rather which way you have been moving.

garymalmgren

Visit site
Simple question fellas.
What actually is a digital ( commercial unit or smartphone app) telling us?
Magnetic? True? Compensated reading?
In Stingo's post (11) there is a "Magnetic Accuracy" heading with "High" written above it.
What is "high" accuracy?

Gary

William_H

Visit site
I have had one of these for many years. Waterproof of course and has peep sights for alignment. Worn on wrist. Just hold it up to eye level. great for direction. Vintage SUUNTO CO Made In Finland DIVERS COMPASS WATCH | eBay a HH GPS can give you so much more if you are contemplating being lost in boat forrest or city. But then I am a ludite when it comes to phomnes with all that stuff on. ol'will

Refueler

Visit site
Just remember that the "compass" derived from GPS data will not tell you which way you are pointing but rather which way you have been moving.

Exactly .... GPS derived Compass / Direction is based on movement ..... if stationary - it has only positions and direction pointer is then any direction based on the jumping around of GPS position at that spot.

lustyd

Visit site
The vast majority of handhelds and watches these days have compass chips in. The main reason plotters don’t is they’re a fixed install and rarely align with boat direction. Every one I’ve seen allows selection of magnetic or true if it has the capability for true.
Stingo’s app probably has an accuracy rating because it’s an Android app so the device may or may not have a compass chip.
The device in the RNLI store would be poor as a hand bearing compass as there doesn’t seem to be anything to align or sight with so just as bad as a watch.