GT 35

doug748

Visit site
Do you struggle to understand why someone would pay extra to have something made for them rather than an off-the-shelf solution?

People with lots of money like to get bespoke items made for them. Why? Because they can. It's what they want.

If you don't get it you're not likely to be a customer, so you don't have to get it :)

Why would anyone spend more for something better? Because generally in life, as with boats, you get what you pay for.

I think snooks has it.

Here is another one where the hoi polloi need not apply:

http://www.essenceyachts.com/en/essence-eng/essence-33-eng

33 foot day sailor. That will be.... £201,340, plus yer VAT govner

flawed_logic

Visit site
Was it? Hmmm. Seems fairly quick, stiff, stable and close-winded to me. It's the same Farr-designed hull as the previous Cruiser 36, which was generally praised for its sailing ability.

Yep it was, see sept edition. I've sailed on a few and they aren't great, they are average with a nice layout and good price .... Oddly the worse sailing boat for sailing I've been on was a southerly rs 350 ... Awful ....

pvb

Visit site
How long does a Bavaria sit in the mould? 1 day maybe 2, the moulding process for the Rustler takes 4-5 weeks.

But if you talk to marine surveyors, they'll tell you that Bavaria hulls are some of the best they've seen, with problems being very rare indeed. Time isn't necessarily a positive factor; material quality and accuracy are much more important.

flawed_logic

Visit site
Interesting. When I was thinking of ordering one in April, I could only find one in the West Country to look at, let alone sail on. You must have been luckier.

Well not lucky :) I meant the brand not that particular model. It's like anything in life you get what you pay for.

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
But if you talk to marine surveyors, they'll tell you that Bavaria hulls are some of the best they've seen, with problems being very rare indeed. Time isn't necessarily a positive factor; material quality and accuracy are much more important.

Well they aren't some of the best I have ever seen, and I've been around a few factories

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
I think snooks has it.

Here is another one where the hoi polloi need not apply:

http://www.essenceyachts.com/en/essence-eng/essence-33-eng

33 foot day sailor. That will be.... £201,340, plus yer VAT govner

And the rest...If you want the de Lux version with varnished bits and electric winches and cockpit cushions you're looking at €321,585 inc (£256,885) for a 33 ft day boat you can't stand up in, 4 berths and no table. She is beautiful though.

Exquisitely built, Carbon composite hull, leather floor, foam covered veneer woodwork, sumptuously smooth woodwork, few if any ropes on deck. They know their market and their boats are tailored to it. What you or I think makes no difference to them because we're not their customers.

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
OK, perhaps marine surveyors aren't the best judges.

I was just saying that *news flash* they that aren't the best hulls I've seen. Especially when you compare them to builders like Contest/Rustler/X-yachts. If you were to compare them with similar priced boats that may be the case, but that wasn't what you said ;)

If you want to see how well a boat is really built have a looksee on the inside, usually in the area above and around the steering quadrant. It's the bit where no one ever looks when buying a boat, and in some brands it shows.

pvb

Visit site
If you want to see how well a boat is really built have a looksee on the inside, usually in the area above and around the steering quadrant. It's the bit where no one ever looks when buying a boat, and in some brands it shows.

Yes, that's very good advice, and it was the first place I looked in the Bav. Rather confined access, but seriously well thought-out Jefa steering installation. All the nuts and bolts properly torqued and paint-marked. The GT35 uses Jefa steering too.

sailorman

Visit site
Yes, that's very good advice, and it was the first place I looked in the Bav. Rather confined access, but seriously well thought-out Jefa steering installation. All the nuts and bolts properly torqued and paint-marked. The GT35 uses Jefa steering too.

How would you know that from just looking :confused:

Jamesuk

Visit site
And arguably the Rotary is the better watch, as having a quartz movement will be a more accurate time keeper.

Yes and the service costs will be at least £500 every two years!!! The Rotary can be replaced but will last just as long without the expensive service.

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
Rather confined access, but seriously well thought-out Jefa steering installation. All the nuts and bolts properly torqued and paint-marked. The GT35 uses Jefa steering too.

I'm not sure what Jefa system you have on board, but Jefa often supply the steering pre-assembled in one unit and the mfg just slots the in unit and bolts the quadrant to the rudder post, secures it in place job done, no adjustment, that's it.

They are the bees knees in steering systems :)

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Snooksy :love_heart: GT Yachts, cos they've got his photies in their gallery. :)

Didn't you see their bizarre reply to his review, in which they were claiming that it's only waterline length that counts so their boat is actually shorter, or longer, or something, than he said?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Drifting slightly I struggle to why one would spend £125k on the new Bav cruiser when there are shedloads of nearly new, ie.less that 5 years old, robust boats out there for less.

And why would one spent £320k on a tough but very average looking white boat when there are plenty of second-hand Scandiwegian equivalents around for less?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
GT35-01 was for sale at £269,900 plus VAT, which is about £324K. See http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/2014/GT-Yachts-GT35-2753325/United-Kingdom

Ooh, she's a tubby looking wee thing in their main picture.

4787808_20140815055928692_1_XLARGE.jpg

JumbleDuck

Visit site
The GT isn't custom, but you have more say and choice than your run of the mill builders.

It was the same with Victoria; you could have any interior you wanted as long as they could make it in the standard number of hours. You can't buy a new Victoria any more.

So why did you by a Ferrari as opposed to something like a Toyota MR2 or a Caterham or a Mitsubishi EVO? Why does a Ferrari cost so much more than a Mazda MX5....

And why did the VW Golf GTi and the mass-production variant hot hatches which followed it from every manufacturer destroy the sports car market?

Then think of the time in man hours it takes to craft the boat together. Then think about expertise to craft that joinery none of it is cheap.

As has been said, just because small production runs of anything are expensive to make doesn't make them better. I had a ride in a Tesla Roadster recently. Fabulous performance, lovely handling ... but it's a flimsy thing, with nothing like the build quality of a Nissan Micra.

Last edited: