GT 35

Sandy Bottom

Visit site
Have I misunderstood something here? Is it the case that the GT35 as described / photographed on the GT Yachts website has an asking price in excess of £300k?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Err, plus the VAT, sir, plus the VAT.

Actually, the asking price was £270K plus VAT, which equals £324K.

An absolute bargain, for this exquisite bit of interior design, which doesn't look at all like a 1998 motorhome, oh dear me no. Whatever happened to "curves"?

gt35v.jpg

Tranona

Visit site
An absolute bargain, for this exquisite bit of interior design, which doesn't look at all like a 1998 motorhome, oh dear me no. Whatever happened to "curves"?

gt35v.jpg

Look closely at the fiddle on the lower right of the picture for your curve.

However, you are seeing an excellent example of the current popular "style" - the antidote to past Tudorbethan style that dominated yacht interiors in the late 20th century just as it dominated suburbia from the 1930's to the 1960's - and even later in remote corners of our kingdom like just up the road from my house.

prv

Visit site
Which boat builders use MDF?

The cabin sole boards of our 1998 Maxi are some kind of waterproof MDF, with a plastic laminate on top. Apart from the non-skid texture having worn in places from 16 years' hard charter use, I actually quite like it around the engine bay as I have no worries about spilled oil or diesel soaking in.

Robbins sell the same laminate, so I plan to refinish the two worn boards this winter, after which they should be good as new.

Pete

prv

Visit site
However, you are seeing an excellent example of the current popular "style"

Fortunately I'm unlikely ever to be in the market for a new boat, as I think this style is bloody ugly whoever it's made by :)

Hopefully I will be able to skip over this decade in future as it moves down the second-hand market.

Pete

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Fortunately I'm unlikely ever to be in the market for a new boat, as I think this style is bloody ugly whoever it's made by :)

I'm quite impressed by the way that real wood veneer and hours of laborious craftsmanship produce something which looks - in the photos - like wood effect fablon.

doris

Visit site
That's a very nice toe rail on the Bavaria. Excellent.
Maybe next time I want some oysters and champagne I will pop into Macdonalds. I'm sure £3.99 will be fine.

You pay your money and take your choice, totally different boats, but the comparisons are soooooo far wide of the mark they cannot be relevant.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Maybe next time I want some oysters and champagne I will pop into Macdonalds. I'm sure £3.99 will be fine.

You pay your money and take your choice, totally different boats, but the comparisons are soooooo far wide of the mark they cannot be relevant.

What did you think of the Bavaria Cruiser 37 when you did 250 miles aboard one?

FullCircle

Visit site

Interesting, but a bit short on areas that can't be compared?

What, perzackerly, are you getting extra in engines, electronics, rigging, deck hardware?

I am not disagreeing with you completely, just that they take up the same space on the pontoon, both sail and motor, sleep a few people and provide jolly entertainment and fright in equal measure.
You do get the Top Trumps winning card with the GT though.

Moonshining

picnicsintheharbour.blogspot.com

I'm interested in why the comparison is wide of the mark. The materials are much the same, a lot of the equipment on the GT is sourced elsewhere - Lewmar winches, Beta engine etc. What, apart from low production volumes, makes it worth almost three times the cost of the Bavaria?

sailorman

Visit site
GT35, about £320K new....

gt35f_zps8ba71ffc.jpg

Bavaria Cruiser 37, about £125K new....

c37-2_zpseb6b04e8.jpg

the teak deck on that bav is awful the detailing - well there isnt much detailing at all in fact & the interior is from B & Q kitchen dept on a sale day. I was aboard one @ the East Coast show in Woolverstone, cant remember the length but around 42 > 45

pvb

Visit site

I wasn't particularly making comparisons, I understand that they are totally different boats, but a lot of us find it very difficult to see why the GT35 costs £200K more! They both have sturdy Selden rigs, half a dozen Lewmar winches, a meaty Sleipner bow thruster, Lewmar hatches, Jefa steering, Delta anchor, decent electronics (Raymarine on the GT35, Garmin on the Bavaria), etc. Even the interiors are similarly styled...

GT35 interior...

gt35interior_zps0f72bc8c.jpg

Bavaria Cruiser 37 interior...

c37-11_zps8fc2f905.jpg