GGR 22

zoidberg

Visit site
The good Ian H-J is clear east of the tail-end of South America, and now has 'The Narrow Road To The Deep North' ahead of him.

I imagine he's heaving a sigh of relief...

skua164

Visit site
I really hope Simon gets line honours, it's the very least he deserves. He has proved smarter and faster from the beginning when he exited Biscay in the lead.

jlavery

Visit site
I really hope Simon gets line honours, it's the very least he deserves. He has proved smarter and faster from the beginning when he exited Biscay in the lead.
As I've said before, he's a very good sailor who knows how to keep the boat going and generally in the right direction.

(Although when he came mountain biking with our Emsworth group he had more punctures in one evening than the rest of us all year! 🤔)

zoidberg

Visit site
Ian's certainly 'in the thick of it' at present, with Windy.ty suggesting >66kts.
I do hope he's got a Series Drogue out, for that wind is due to back >90 degrees, which won't help the sea state one bit.

"....and hours to go before I sleep...."

dunedin

Visit site
Ian's certainly 'in the thick of it' at present, with Windy.ty suggesting >66kts.
I do hope he's got a Series Drogue out, for that wind is due to back >90 degrees, which won't help the sea state one bit.

"....and hours to go before I sleep...."
Wasn’t the learnings from the last GGR that the boats that kept moving fared better and safer than the boats which tried to slow down, which often got rolled. Hence a drogue might be a bad thing to deploy.

zoidberg

Visit site
Wasn’t the learnings from the last GGR that the boats that kept moving fared better and safer than the boats which tried to slow down, which often got rolled. Hence a drogue might be a bad thing to deploy.
No. Only those who are strongly prejudiced against the 'faff' of carrying and using a Series Drogue wheel out that tired and discredited old argument. Much the same people who say "I won't get myself into weather/sea conditions bad enough to warrant that sort of stuff", ignoring the lessons from the Fastnet 79 Report - a sea area close to home - and from multiple other 'events' mentioned in Heavy Weather Sailing that Don Jordan's 'Series Drogue was developed specifically to address.

Deeply-experienced ocean travellers such as Susanne Huber-Curphey and Jeanne Socrates carry theirs - and use them. Roger Taylor, on his 24' 'Ming-Ming', 'Wouldn't go to sea without one'.

'Getting rolled' is a function of breaking seas and getting beam-on to them. In extremely confused and high seas running from two markedly different directions due to a large windshift in an extremely-vigorous disturbance, it becomes impossible to hand-steer effectively and continuously so as to take each one at the optimum angle. A suitable Series Drogue holds the stern into/towards the 'violent push' of breaking seas, resisting the tendency to accelerate and roll by applying progressive restraint.

It allows the exhausted skipper/crew to go below, batten the hatches, and roll out the prayer mat.....

:cool:

zoidberg

Visit site
Anyway, whatever Ian has or hasn't done, his tracker - about an hour ago around 1630hrs - showed him making 3.4kts to the NE, and the worst of the wind had passed. The wind and the seas should decline over the next few hours - but many accounts suggest this is the worst time, when conflicting wave-trains create 'washing machine' conditions before one of them subsides enough.

dunedin

Visit site
No. Only those who are strongly prejudiced against the 'faff' of carrying and using a Series Drogue wheel out that tired and discredited old argument. Much the same people who say "I won't get myself into weather/sea conditions bad enough to warrant that sort of stuff", ignoring the lessons from the Fastnet 79 Report - a sea area close to home - and from multiple other 'events' mentioned in Heavy Weather Sailing that Don Jordan's 'Series Drogue was developed specifically to address.

Deeply-experienced ocean travellers such as Susanne Huber-Curphey and Jeanne Socrates carry theirs - and use them. Roger Taylor, on his 24' 'Ming-Ming', 'Wouldn't go to sea without one'.

'Getting rolled' is a function of breaking seas and getting beam-on to them. In extremely confused and high seas running from two markedly different directions due to a large windshift in an extremely-vigorous disturbance, it becomes impossible to hand-steer effectively and continuously so as to take each one at the optimum angle. A suitable Series Drogue holds the stern into/towards the 'violent push' of breaking seas, resisting the tendency to accelerate and roll by applying progressive restraint.

It allows the exhausted skipper/crew to go below, batten the hatches, and roll out the prayer mat.....

:cool:
There were a number of in depth articles at the time, with interviews of many skippers - the ones who won / made it round and the ones who didn’t. Can’t remember all the sources but pretty sure Yachting World was one.
There was quite strong consensus that keeping sailing was best - and one who lost her boat regretted trying to slow down, if I recall correctly.
Might be worth reading these reports from experienced previous GGR skippers.

DFL1010

Visit site
"
ENTRANT UPDATE: GGR CODE RED Position @ 1630 UTC 46° 55.29S, 037° 14.7 W Vessel GPS SOG 3.4 & Heading: @ 36.85Weather: SW 50 knots, gusting 70 knots 6.5M SEA
SITUATION : PUFFIN has activated his EPIRB....GGR TRACKING now set at 15 minutes. At 1540UTC Ian Herbert Jones SKIPPER PUFFIN rang GGR on Iridium phone to advise that he was in extreme weather with no sail up trying to hand steer downwind , the yacht was laid over often ...There was a small amount of water down below. It was a bad connection and I lost contact.
At 1550UTC IAN called again...he had activated his EPIRB , could not launch his drogue as the cockpit hatch was underwater, was under bare poles, had been washed out of the cockpit twice and was struggling to keep the boat sailing down wind. He explained he activated the EPIRB as he could not initially make Iridium phone contact and wanted someone to know his situation. I advised him he must launch his drogue if possible to assist down wind control...and that the extreme weather will last at least another five hours. He is trying to do that. There is only 8 inches of water over the cabin sole. He thinks this is leakage through the cockpit...the manual bilge pump is working so he is not sinking. The mast is secure. All safety equipment onboard is secure. His electrical system is low in power.
I asked him to call again in one hour. Approx 1700UTC. He is using the iridium phone in the cockpit. MRCC may have trouble trying to ring him because of the noise and he may switch off the phone between contacts. I advised him to leave the EPIRB on. The activated EPIRB is listed as coming from his abandoned ship GRAB bag...this is unusual and I believe a mistake. He is on the boat and it would be the EPIRB from in the Yachts cabin....he has NOT abandoned the ship. I made Ian aware that he needs to manage this extreme weather best possible until it starts to drop in five hours.
SITUATION : ALERT BUTTON ON YB3 Manually Pressed. ACTIVATED! At 1725UTC Message received at GGR from PUFFIN YELLOW-BRICK YB3 satellite tracking and texting unit advising " Button ALERT.... 46., 57.250S 037, 12.382W " This means that Ian has manually gone to the YB3 unit and manually lifted a safety cover and pressed the distress alert button of the YB3 Satellite texting unit. This is recognised by GGR as a distress protocol for all GGR entrants. This would suggest he is definitely in a distress situation. He had not called GGR at the requested 1 hour update time. He was 25 Minutes overdue from that requested Phone Update. At the time of the ALERT BUTTON activation the Windy forecast weather was SW40Kt Gusting 88Kt and 7.7mtr SEA.
MRCC Argentina is now managing the Rescue operation. Further updates as they come available.
"

ridgy

Visit site
My thoughts are with him. Hope for a happier message in the morning. For sure if he comes through then he will definitely have had his trip of a lifetime.

sailoppopotamus

Visit site
Position @ 1842 UTC 46° 54.24S, 037° 12.604W Vessel GPS SOG 3.4 & Heading: @ 36.85
Weather: SW 50 knots, gusting 70 knots 6.5M SEA
SITUATION : PUFFIN ROLLED DISMASTED Skipper injured.
1842 UTC PUFFIN YB3 TEXT message received - Rolled Dismasted , injured Back, hard to move, 2ft water in boat.
1844 UTC PUFFIN YB3 TEXT Message received - Situation getting worse..need weather break to cut rig from PUFFIN.
MRCC Argentina are co-ordinating the RESCUE efforts. There is a ship close by they are attempting to contact. at 2125UTC he rang to advise he has stopped the water ingress into the boat. He is part way through cutting the rig away in extreme conditions as it is impacting the hull. He had also gashed his head and his back is getting stiff. A full report will be released in the next hour or so. We thank all those currently assisting with Ian's recovery. #GGR2022

This is a terrible update on the GGR's Facebook page. At least he's stopped the water ingress. Not sure how long this is forecast to last, with him apparently injured and the abysmal weather I suspect that any rescue will be very difficult. As somebody who doesn't venture out to sea if it's forecast to be gusting over 30kts, I can't even imagine what he's going through.

zoidberg

Visit site
"4 hours ago, The Lilibet, UK flagged 50m fisheries Patrol vessel approx 300 miles South of Puffin is heading towards Ian's position ETA 29 hrs. Just received info the fishing vessel ZI DA WANG 90 NM off PUFFIN will attempt rescue,eta 11th at 1900 UTC depend on weather."

It'll be a long day....