GGR 22

zoidberg

Visit site
I haven't found a thread here on the '22 Golden Globe Race, so here's a link to the tracker: Live Tracker

For those who find it difficult changing pages, the leading three are 'Curwen, Lehtinen, Lawless'..... then a gap back to the next 8 or so, all struggling to clear around the NW corner of Spain.

zoidberg

Visit site
Interesting to see, this morning ( Sunday 11th ), that Lehtinen and Guggenberger have turned sharply left, now heading back towards the Spanish coast.

Why, I ask myself, and a peek at Windy as forecasted suggest that's likely due to the large depression heading their way. Given the considerable 'armchair' benefit of foresight, it seems a better choice might have been to 'hang a right' out into the Atlantic, to pass above and behind the system into more favourable wind angles earlier - but they won't have the benefit of e-forecasting on board.....

laika

Visit site
I was trying to work out what weather information competitors had beyond a barometer and what they could see but I note they mention radio comms (as obviously the original golden globe competitors were encouraged to take radios) so long as no form of weather routing is given by "media,friends, family and sponsors". I'm guessing being given a detailed forecast is not the same as "weather routing" for the purposes of the race? Presumably weatherfax is a no-no?

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Good to see the chap who's windvane steering broke had time to fix it and get going before the deadline. He's actually got much better winds at the moment to get across the first part of Biscay it seems.

Plus the guy who decided to retire had the courage to do so.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
The first yacht, Simon Curwen, is currently doing his live interview on youtube at first gate off Marina Rubicon.

Can't quite see him from my balcony.....mind you I suppose peering out at 2200 with binoculars might not be a great move. :)

Blueboatman

Visit site
Here’s something I thought of interest
( photo will be a GGR copywrite link thinghy )
https://goldengloberace.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/IMG_0372.jpg

The South African entrant looks to have rigged two part jibsheets made fast at the car.
I haven’t seen that for ever .

But I had it on my first wooden boat with ancient winches, and thought it an excellent idea , aside from the clew/weight flogging around in a tack.
With the standing part made off to an eye on the deck by the shrouds - it was not only much much easier to trim the sail but I am convinced the sail held a steadier aerofoil shape by way of the clew being pinned down at two points fore n aft ..in lighter airs
?
Or maybe it’s better to let the sail have a degree of free movement or ‘float’ , with its single part sheet, it’s the norm ..?

davidaprice

Visit site
I'm puzzled: the Notice of Race says "leaving an inshore Canary island mark to starboard", but Simon clearly sailed a loop around it leaving it to port:
- is that OK? He didn't gain any benefit apart from getting to tack instead of gybe. The commentator was asserting that you can round the mark any which way, but I see no evidence of that in the rules.

zoidberg

Visit site
Yes. He's safe ashore. North end of Fuertaventura....

"At 0410hrs local time Kersten Neuschafer called Race control by sat phone to report a MAYDAY VHF call from Guy who was on rocks and taking water. The local Coast Guard had also responded to the Mayday call. GUY was unsure of his position at that stage. Race control established contact with the Spanish Rescue Coordination center."

His boat eventually was washed/surged over rocks to a slightly less 'surf-pounded' position and the local Spanish rescue service got a boat out to him. More 'when the dust settles'.....

zoidberg

Visit site
A litle bit more.....

"At 0424hrs Guy rang race control and reported the boat listing 45 degrees and being bashed by heavy surf taking water and on the rocks. He had his life raft ready, had reported his GPS position to the coast guard and was in VHF contact with them and was concerned about abandoning ship in the dark and heavy surf as he said he would not last long.. He could not see the beach. With surf breaking over the boat we lost contact.
At 0510hrs the Spanish rescue coordination center advised that the local Police and fire brigade were on the beach and that he was 50 meters off the beach but refused to abandon ship at this time.
At 0536hrs Guy called Race control reporting that he was safe on the beach. Spirit had dragged across the rocks some distance and then the local rescue coast guard had come out through the surf to him and assisted him off the boat. He sounded in good spirits and that a local salvage company was already considering attempting to salvage the boat in daylight if possible. Guy said he will contact Race Control again with all the details as soon as things settle."