GGR 22

zoidberg

Visit site
Abhilash is going great guns this morning... and Kirsten has tucked up her skirts, too.

However, there's a windhole creeping up on both of them. Abhilash looks to get out of that sooner than Miss Kirsten.
There's a suspicion that Simon, nearby, is going sight-seeing.*

( * there's another Old Racers' Adage that few of 'em seem to heed - 'Always take the shortest route, unless you have a very good reason otherwise' - Adlard Cole )

Crowblack

Visit site
Well well, it appears Cap'n Gugg feels it inappropiate he turns back for several hours to serve a penalty cos he dipped into the Southern exclusion zone - when "others" were warned off doing so.

zoidberg

Visit site
Well, the carpers, quibblers and criticisms are in overdrive, on other blogs and forums, over Ian H-J's choice not to stream his JSD, in triggering a 'MayDay' Distress Message before he was rolled and dismasted, and abandoning a boat which hasn't sunk and is still wandering the Southern Ocean on its own.

e.g. the-loss-of-the-puffin and Morgans Cloud

Comment from vastly-experienced Susanne Huber-Curphey included the following -

"This self-steering was also the reason why Ian on ‘Puffin’ did not deploy his Jordan-Series-Drogue (JSD) one week ago, causing his boat to capsize in a severe storm…

…Ian clearly experienced the most severe weather in an otherwise rather quiet GGR, but I do wonder why he activated the Epirb on the then undamaged boat, rather than deploying his JSD after getting the imminent warning of over 90 knots of wind for several hours by the race organizers…

…In my experience the exposed rudder of any self-steering system must be easily removable and stowed below deck in the to be expected, somehow wild conditions of a force ten or above."

There's also strongly-worded comment, as may be expected, from Peter Foerthmann, the developer and champion of the Windpilot auxiliary rudder system.

I'm not tempted to criticism of others' decisions at sea, from the comfort of an armchair..... preferring to read the opinions of others, in the hope of gleaning some wisdom here and there.

Last edited:

zoidberg

Visit site
@zoidberg how are you tracking the GGR? I've tried the YB Race's app, but it doesn't seem to update consistently.
Mostly I peer at the GGR Tracker HERE on my home PC.

I also delve into Twitter and - last but not least - YouTube. I've also put the Live Tracker on my mobile phone, but have used that just twice. There's some commentary also on 'Morgans Cloud', 'Sailing Anarchy' and 'Cruisers&Sailing Forum' which can lead to interesting input.

I also have G°G°R PRESS ACCREDITATION and can do a ENTRANT SATPHONE MEDIA INTERVIEW REQUEST, but don't often bother.

It's a kind of nerd-geekery, doancha think?

:cool:

zoidberg

Visit site
There's just 50nm between Kirsten and Simon - and several expected patches of very light breeze, before the finish. And Abhilash could get a boost from behind....

MikeBz

Visit site
But, but, but Simon stopped somewhere along the way, so is in the Chichester class. As far as I'm concerned, it's between Kirsten and Abhilash, who is now (12:00 UTC) 101 NM behind Kirsten
But but but… Kirsten gets 23 hours of redress for the time she spent rescuing Tapio.

Simon’s position is remarkable considering how much time/distance he lost making repairs.

Last edited:

zoidberg

Visit site
Simon could be considered to be chasing 'First Past The Post' despite being 'demoted' to Chichester Class. His performance has been nothing short of remarkable.

However, Kirsten is now just 50nm behind him and may well pull back another chunk of that. When one factors in the Time Allowance she's been allocated for her part in Tapio's rescue, it may be she'll be seen to have eclipsed not only Abhilash but also Simon.

Much depends on how they negotiate the swirling calms ahead of them over the next two days.

zoidberg

Visit site
52847976510_18ec0557e4.jpg

So what's French for 'Your guess is as good as mine'......? ;)