From Hull and back.

Planet

Visit site
I plan to sail from Near Hull on the East coast up the East coast, through the Caledonian canal and explore the West coast of Scotland. I then will sail over the top down the East coast back to Hull.

The thing is I plan to sail most of it on my own in a fifty year old boat on a budget. I have c65, 66, 67,68 and c23, 24 charts a great boat with good sails and engine and my trusty Avon Redcrest what more could i want. I use my Garmin GPS 72 (the best handheld gps made, in my opinion) to get me most places but maybe that's because I don't have anything else. I don't want to waste money on things which are unessasary and so would very much appreciate other people's thoughts on what is and is not essential for a trip such as this.

Many thanks

Dave100456

Visit site
Hi Planet
Welcome to the forum. I am sure someone will be along to give more advice later.
For 2 or 3 years, I wintered my boat in Hull and then sailed her up to Hartlepool for the summer as its a better start point for the cruising I wanted to do. have. I sailed it solo, sometimes in one go usually when returning South at the end of the season because I had built up stamina for longer passages and sometimes breaking the journey at Scarborough. You'll need to keep an eye on the weather as there aren't many places to shelter if it turns nasty.
Good luck.

VicS

Visit site
I plan to sail from Near Hull on the East coast up the East coast, through the Caledonian canal and explore the West coast of Scotland. I then will sail over the top down the East coast back to Hull.

............................................ would very much appreciate other people's thoughts on what is and is not essential for a trip such as this.

Many thanks

I think some pilotage info. Look a at some books such a s those published by the Clyde cruising club to see if any of those would be worth having.

Reeds, I think The notes therein used with your charts may make the pilotage books unnecessary

VHF radio becase mobile phone coverage might be patchy in parts of that area

Some form of emergency personal locator beacon

Camera, because we will all want to see loads of pictures

Last edited:

Planet

Visit site
Thanks for that, I maybe should have said I have handheld vhf fixed vhf, simrad tp32 tiller pilot. Take on board the pilot books but not sure which are best for north of fort william around the top and Northern east coast. Don't want to spend money on pilot books unless they are essential.

Blue Drifter

Visit site
I took my boat from Largs to Inverness via Caley and back a couple of years ago. Single handed out and with SWMBO for the return. Really took my time and had good weather. The Caley canal is hard work single handed although the canal staff were very helpful, so have crew if possible. Also a decent fender board and plenty of fenders. Once you're through its an incredible area with loads of places to visit. I am planning on Largs to Stornoway and back this summer, again mostly single handed and leisurely, there are a multiple options for routes without visiting anywhere twice. Scottish anchorages is useful:

http://www.scottishanchorages.co.uk

Caer Urfa

groups.yahoo.com

The thing is I plan to sail most of it on my own in a fifty year old boat on a budget. I have c65, 66, 67,68 and c23, 24 charts a great boat with good sails and engine and my trusty Avon Redcrest what more could i want. I use my Garmin GPS 72 (the best handheld gps made, in my opinion) to get me most places but maybe that's because I don't have anything else. I don't want to waste money on things which are unessasary and so would very much appreciate other people's thoughts on what is and is not essential for a trip such as this.

Many thanks

I can well recommend you get a copy of 'Sailing Directions' available from the RNYC https://rnyc.org.uk/information/sailing-directions/
Gives a load of information of all the ports/harbours/anchorages etc approaches and facilities from the Humber to Rattray Head
and I would make a list of 'bolt holes' all the way up the east coast as there are not as many as you may think if you need one in bad weather.

Mike

MM5AHO

Visit site
Here's my list...
Clyde Cruising club directions are really good for chartlets of boltholes with lots of anchoring, mooring, marina info. Secondhand keeps cost down. but here's the books http://www.clyde.org/publications/
Next, get a tidal atlas. Tides can make passages unworkable when against you, but exciting when working for you. Pentland Firth, Cape Wrath, east of Skye all areas with tides. New they're about £15, but eBay between £1 and £8 (and tidal atlas hardly goes out of date!) Tide tables available many places, but very necessary to work out tidal gates.
Next, get the free publications like "Welcome Anchorages" (http://www.welcome-anchorages.co.uk/ ) These give good ideas of anchorages and other places to stop listing facilities.
I was round that northern loop last summer and the mobile coverage is surprisingly good. 3G halfway between Cape Wrath and Stromness even. (ee network), but VHF essential, but you have that. You might go a long time between seeing any other yacht, and perhaps see more commercial vessels, cargo etc.
Have a good read up on this website. http://www.visitmyharbour.com/ and make notes before leaving of such things as harbour working channels, entry rules and directions etc. You can also get tide times from there to save buying printed tables, but you'll have to print from there or copy down relevant times for places. Tidal atlases mostly work from Dover times.
Have a good trip.

But be warned. You will like it enough to not want to go back to Hull!

2nd_apprentice

Visit site
I can well recommend you get a copy of 'Sailing Directions' available from the RNYC https://rnyc.org.uk/information/sailing-directions/
Gives a load of information of all the ports/harbours/anchorages etc approaches and facilities from the Humber to Rattray Head
and I would make a list of 'bolt holes' all the way up the east coast as there are not as many as you may think if you need one in bad weather.

Mike

You'll be pleased to hear that the Hull Central Library holds a copy, so no need to buy one if you feel you don't like it. No need to join the library either as it's on shelf in the public reading room. For aereas not covered I'd recommend the Clyde Cruising Club publications.

Binman

Visit site
Sailing around Britain by Kim Sturgess, done this in 2006 anti clockwise from Greenwich, visited 50 ports, took 90 days, treated each leg as a day sail, he didn't go around the top, used the canal and went across to Ireland, started in June, but that summer was one of the worse this century, he gives a day to day log report, tried to sail in the better weather, so would stay in port if to bad,but still got caught out with fog etc,still got caught out by bad weather,so was unable to visit some of the ports he had earmarked, I'm only up to day 34 but he has reached the canal, good read for any sailor, got it cheap on Amason, saving money with there used copies but mint in practise.

EdWingfield

Visit site
You are in no rush. Lock in to the Caledonian and wait for a large crewed boat, then 'borrow' a crew. But canal staff will be obliging and keep an eye on you. (they've all been to charm school)
If there are hire boats about - hang back until they are in the lock and all sorted out.
Carry extra fuel in cans.
Midge treatment'

MagicalArmchair

Visit site
I did this trip with my late Father a few years back. His Garmin 5012 was awesome, when bad weather was forecast it was cracking for looking for a port of refuge quickly (we ended up in Eyemouth, definitely worth a visit if only for the fried breakfasts alone, nom nom).