Finger pontoons& stern too?

Visit site
We’re currently on a finger berth, what I’d call a 3/4 finger as it don’t go the complete length of the boat

The majority go in bow first as we do, there is a tiny triangle against the main pontoon but our stern would fit in there without catching the triangle

There are a few odd ones which berth stern to here too, but were thinking maybe we could stern to long term too.

Why? Well it’s just easier to get on/off the boat no other reason ( mainly for our parents when they visit)

But why don’t everyone do it? Am I missing something? As long as I set my strops up it will be just as secure as bow in, is it just an etiquette thing? I’m not bothered about privacy etc as I normal take the boat out somewhere rather that sit at home on it

Am I missing something, is bow in more secure or something?

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I suspect it’s down to the fact that it’s easier to berth the boat bows first than it is to reverse the boat into the berth.

Exactly. In the Mediterranean it is always the Northern Europeans who berth bows-to and try to justify it with talk of improved privacy. Those who have been brought up to stern-to always use this method. Learning to go stern-to takes some practice and is not easy with older boats but well worthwhile. The benefits of stern-to, with a modified boat if necessary, are immense.

pvb

Visit site
It really isn't significantly more difficult reversing into a pontoon berth than it is reversing out of it, so just preference.

wombat88

Visit site
Stern to with transom hung rudder can get a bit iffy. Also, bows to with a nice big old fender to stop you is a lazy way of doing it.

Iliade

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.
www.airworks.co.uk
Stern to:
Plus:
Can stop more adroitly when entering,.
Don't decapitate people with the anchor.
Perhaps more sociable.
Boarding ladder may work as a passerelle. If not make one.
Don't have to walk full length of wobbly pontoon to get aboard.
Sunset?
Easier to leave.
Better angles on bow lines
Less chance of stepping into the gap left by bow in-between pontoons.
Wash pontoon and passers by with soot and oily water when starting engine or pumping out bilges. Careful timing may be required ;0)

Negatives:
Have to reverse in, but the engine is warm and a run up may be possible.
Maybe less sociable?
Sunset?
Cockpit less visible to ne'er do wells, but equally they can hide while creating mischief.
Rudder may ground while coming in.
Transom hung rudder or boarding ladder may require big fenders at stern. (But ship it to keep it clear of fouling and for a less cluttered cockpit.)

And so on...

Stemar

Visit site
Stern-to could get exciting on a boat like mine that needs to be doing 3 kt+ to have any semblance of control in astern, especially if the wind's in the wrong direction. Coming out astern, there's usually a bit more room for boaty tantrums

prv

Visit site
I’ve seen the suggestion of alternating, so that both sides of the sprayhood and other canvaswork fade in the sun / go green in the shadow at the same rate :)

Pete

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Direction might depend on where the sun sets - always seems better to h ave the sunset into the cockpit in our northern waters .

That's a good point. We moved our cat to a finger berth on the other side of the main pontoon a couple of years ago which means that the setting sun is now on the bows and sitting out in the cockpit in the evening is a lot more pleasant out of the burning sun. Sun worshippers can still take their glass of vino and go for a lie down on the trampoline if they are sufficiently motivated. :)

Richard

johnalison

Visit site
Berthing stern-to is sometimes taught at sailing schools and can lead inexperienced sailors to do this. I have seen too much mayhem to feel comfortable about being nearby while these beginners learn their trade. Virtually all the boats in my marina are bows-to and I feel safer when things are this way. The modern trend to twin rudders tends to compound the difficulty.

As well as requiring more skill when entering, leaving forwards is actually harder in many cases. The helm in my boat only turns about 45 degrees, so that my turning circle when going ahead is quite large, and with a saildrive I cannot turn towards the wind in anything like a tight space. If I exit astern, I can initiate the turn earlier (10m) and by the time I am in the corridor I can give a short burst ahead and virtually turn the boat in its own length, using the angular momentum I have developed. In a moderate cross wind I still have a chance of turning into the wind and exiting that way, something that I can't do in the lightest winds when going ahead.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
We always go stern too , easier to get off , better to get visitors on plus it does open up the socially bit , which is a part of cruising for us . Other then the odd long keel boat most people we see bow first seen to be our follow brits , it maybe something to do with the way they berth back home .who knows .

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Perhaps the biggest drawback to bows-to is that the kedge with a rope rode is used by all those without the benefit of a stern windlass and chain. When the inevitable happens in Greece and someone drops their anchor and chain over yours the difficulty of escaping is greatly magnified.

Spyro

Visit site
We always go stern too , easier to get off , better to get visitors on plus it does open up the socially bit , which is a part of cruising for us . Other then the odd long keel boat most people we see bow first seen to be our follow brits , it maybe something to do with the way they berth back home .who knows .
+1 Always do it when I can I think once you've sailed in places where everyone does it you start to think why doesn't everyone do it where conditions and boat allows

Last edited:

Daverw

Visit site
Just done this for the first time this mornings normally bow in but thought I would give it a go, very little wind and in a Marina, went well, too well so probably loads of luck. As we have sugar scoop getting off loads easier is finger pontoons are very narrow, less than 400mm

RupertW

Visit site
+1 Always do it when I can I think once you've sailed in places where everyone does it you start to think why doesn't everyone do it where conditions and boat allows

Exactly my thoughts. Boats with sugar scoops or drop down sterns are designed for stern to so going bows-to (or having davits) is fighting the design and making things harder for yourself.