Female Yacht Owners

Wansworth

Visit site
On a more serious note my late mother although having no maritime heritage supported myfather in his yachting endevours abandoning her garden and charities to navigate for him as he got sea sick below,cooked and put up with his shouting,but her most anying trait was always commenting that we ought to be somewhere else ,especially where another yacht was,due to fathersmiss judgement?

doug748

Visit site
Ever met one ?

Interesting question. Not many, as you might expect.

Four I knew fairly/very well:

Mother and daughter with a wooden Folkboat
Female with cc Moody
Another with GK29
One with a Sadler, saw her this year with a newer boat

Apart from that, a similar number I did not know personally but encountered cruising about.

steveeasy

Visit site
Well I wonder if we should really even be distinguishing between the sexes!. That said no, not really, However I work in a recreational business where 99% of participants are females. just how it is.
Steveeasy

phanakapan

Visit site
Um, me….. our boats in my name, and I’m the skipper- although we started sailing at the same time, I’ve been generally keener and have a couple of thousand more miles logged in various different boats than my husband. (Hi and thanks for great sails with many a forumite that I’ve sailed with ?) Plus I worked as a berthing master in a large marina.

Skylark

Visit site
Fond memories of Peggy, well known member of Holyhead Sailing Club. RIP.

One day as I was walking along the pontoon, she summoned me to climb aboard to give her a hand with an issue. I happened to be the next passing berth holder when she needed help. She was by then in her late 80s / early 90s. It was about 10h00 and when I’d finished helping her she said “would you like a drink”. I immediately thought coffee but no, out came the Whisky.

My wife and I would sometimes take her for an evening meal at a local eatery. She was a much travelled Fleet Street news reporter. Lovely lady.