Fawley PS Chimney.

Iain C

Visit site
Many will miss it, but not me.

I'm with you. I will say that it's comforting coming through Hurst at night after a long eastbound passage and seeing the red lights telling you you're nearly home, but otherwise it's a gopping industrial eyesore and I'm really glad it's days are numbered.

Resolution

Visit site
Wonder why the journo refers to a "luxury" marina and if the developer called it that.

As all newspapers refer to yachts as "luxury yachts", it is only fair to expect them to be berthed in "luxury" marinas.:)

Actually Fawley would make a super location for a decent new marina and some (repeat some) associated housing. Reasonable deep water access, very quick to be in proper sailing water, good shelter from prevailing wind, not bad road access if they brushed up a couple of the roundabouts. Conversion of parts of the power station buildings into something for under cover yacht servicing is a tantalising prospect. It has long been top of my bucket list for new marina sites in the Solent, always assuming that we do have a need for more marina space.
Fair winds to Mr Drummond.
Peter

Bathdave

Visit site
I made my first ever approach into the Hamble last week, arriving 5am ish around the east end of IOW

Being completely unfamiliar with the area (I know it's the backyard to many on here) we were ultra cautious. It does make a good landmark but was relying mostly on the chart plotter

As we headed up the channel to the NE of the bramble bank, we were about half way along when I spotted on AIS a commercial vessel coming down towards us. It was a sodding big ship which me and the whole crew had failed to pick out against the backlights, ...the fact it was so big meant his nav lights were way higher than our normal vision line

We were slightly on the port side of the channel, he seemed to be coming down the middle, so we had a moment of concern as I decided whether to cross the channel in front of him and pass port to port, or hang as far left as I could.

I did the former and he passed 30 seconds later, frankly rather scary. If I had not spotted him on AIS I'm not sure when we would have recognised it as a large ship.

alant

Visit site
I made my first ever approach into the Hamble last week, arriving 5am ish around the east end of IOW

Being completely unfamiliar with the area (I know it's the backyard to many on here) we were ultra cautious. It does make a good landmark but was relying mostly on the chart plotter

As we headed up the channel to the NE of the bramble bank, we were about half way along when I spotted on AIS a commercial vessel coming down towards us. It was a sodding big ship which me and the whole crew had failed to pick out against the backlights, ...the fact it was so big meant his nav lights were way higher than our normal vision line

We were slightly on the port side of the channel, he seemed to be coming down the middle, so we had a moment of concern as I decided whether to cross the channel in front of him and pass port to port, or hang as far left as I could.

I did the former and he passed 30 seconds later, frankly rather scary. If I had not spotted him on AIS I'm not sure when we would have recognised it as a large ship.

If it was such "a sodding big ship", its the sudden absence of "backlights" that should be looked out for, its nav lights are insignificant in comparison.

prv

Visit site
If it was such "a sodding big ship", its the sudden absence of "backlights" that should be looked out for, its nav lights are insignificant in comparison.

Indeed - though it can't have been all that big since if he was NE of the Brambles then he was in the North Channel and the real bigguns go round the Thorn instead :p

Pete

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
I'm with you. I will say that it's comforting coming through Hurst at night after a long eastbound passage and seeing the red lights telling you you're nearly home, but otherwise it's a gopping industrial eyesore and I'm really glad it's days are numbered.

Agree - blow it up. We'll still have the TV masts on the Island.

Applespider

Visit site

+1. That's precisely what I remind my crew of when we're heading out at night around in the Solent. That and reminding them to take bearings for whichever channel markers they're looking for on the way back from Gilkicker - it's all too easy to lose them in the background noise of Calshot and Fawley.

It's easy to get used to the bigger vessels heading around the lamb-chop - so much so that I've seen a few do a double take when they've heard a smaller tanker sound twice to come along the North Channel.

I do hope they give us good warning of the chimney coming down; might be a fun to anchor off Bramble Bank and get a great view of it going 'down in smoke'

Seajet

Visit site
I don't really care about Fawley - apart from the probably urban myth that if it went up it would take out most of Southampton - as the Solent is full of good visual and indeed depth contour marks even without GPS.

Apart from the Bramble Bank which I find difficult to spot ( so just be careful around ) but plenty of others do pile up on the Brambles - don't blow up the Fawley chimney, use it as a new mark on the Brambles, win / win !

I did find the loss of the power station chimneys off Shorehams' bleak coast genuinely robbed us of a good daymark, but then if sailing near Shoreham one gets what one deserves anyway :)

prv

Visit site
Apart from the Bramble Bank which I find difficult to spot

As well as general situational awareness and the depth sounder, there are a couple of fair-sized chimneys in East Cowes which line up more or less over the drying part of the bank. If the two chimneys are well open of each other then you should be ok, if they're in line or getting that way then start considering your north/south position.

Pete

Seajet

Visit site
Pete

thank you so much for that lesson, I don't know how I've managed to to make it around either side of the Brambles from 1974, I'm very well aware of Situational Awareness and nav by sounder ta very much and did 24 Channel Crossings with nothing more than the comical RDF.

I just thought it would be a fun idea to plant the Fawley chimney on the Brambles as a mark, could even have an eternal flame on top, but I was forgetting YBW is increasingly humourless these days. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
I just thought it would be a fun idea to plant the Fawley chimney on the Brambles as a mark, could even have an eternal flame on top, but I was forgetting YBW is increasingly humourless these days. :rolleyes:
What - in the middle of the cricket pitch? Outrageous, whatever next...... retires mumbling to himself.

alan_d

Visit site
According to the RYA members' magazine which arrived today "The developer recognises the importance of the chimney to boaters and intends to include a 100m tower structure in its designs, which would be visible from the eastern and western Solent approaches."