Fairline Squadron 58

jfm

Visit site
How does the schedule for adjusting valve clearances compare: D12 vs C12?
Dunno M. It might not be a scheduling issue though. On D12 you have to lift a tall rocker cover off some long studs, and need lots of spare height above the engine to do that. In sq58, there isn't the headroom clearance. c12 could have a whole different design of rocker cover that needs less headroom clearance for all I know - I'm not familiar with detail on C12.

Remember with a carpeted boat this is a total non issue. you just unpeel the carpet, remove a few screws in the sofa base, and two massive panels lift out of the saloon floor revealing the engine tops. Obviously you swear plenty but it's a straightforward job and you do NOT have to remove the saloon sofa as some Sq58 servicers wrongly conclude.

I remember Gludy posting pics years ago of a Sq58 where the servicers had dismantled the whole saloon and he wrongly concluded that the boat was badly designed, when the actual problem was stupidity of the service team. I wish Fairline had put a sticker on the floor under the carpet explaining how to do it right. VolvoPaul and I did it the correct/simple way ourselves and it was no drama for anyone sensible with an electric screwdriver

jfm

Visit site
Seems we all had the same experiences in Antibes, have been there 1991 to 2013.:):)
Ah, must have missed you! what boat location were you? I'm on mole sud, far end left hand side. Several of us here are generally around there. Are you coming back or are you installed in Varazze now?

rustybarge

Visit site
. The 2 toilets are awful base spec Jabsco things. You should have them replaced with Tecma silence plus. Tecmas will fit, and the control panels will fit in the space where the Jabsco switch is, so hiding all evidence that the Jabscos were ever fitted

i have the aforementioned loo, and it's blocked and the plunger has failed! (Don't gloat) :ambivalence:

I never knew that Tecma were the same company as Porta potti; I'm very impressed with their camping loos.
have you ever had any problems or blockages with the the Techma?
would you recommend them as the best of the electric ?

jfm

Visit site
i have the aforementioned loo, and it's blocked and the plunger has failed! (Don't gloat) :ambivalence:

I never knew that Tecma were the same company as Porta potti; I'm very impressed with their camping loos.
have you ever had any problems or blockages with the the Techma?
would you recommend them as the best of the electric ?
The jabsocs in this sq58 are electric not plunger type, but thats by the by - they are basically junk and should be chucked out

When you say "same company" that's only half correct. Thetford acquired Tecma after Tecma but Tecma's brilliant loo had already been designed in Italy by Tecma's team and was on the market. It was designed to be the best rather than the cheapest, and they got it right (I was going to say they did a great job). There is zero overlap between the design of Porta Potti (a thetford product) and Tecma.

I've never had any problem with Tecmas and I've owned 12 of the beasts. They are fitted to loads of top brand yachts in the <30m segment. In that segment they are the very best product by a country mile. Jabso is complete junk in comparison, imho. Tecma is about £700 a pop of course, but you get a ceramic WC for that not plastic, and a pumping system that works (powered by a nearly 1/2 hp motor, unlike the ickle motor in a Jabsco)

tamarind

Visit site
I think the Squ 58 is an excellent sea boat. I delivered one to Portugal and were caught in some really nasty seas, she coped extremely well at nearly 25 knots in all conditions, travelling 15 hrs a day apart from the obligatory fuelling up. After skippering many boats in this class, she is def one of the best, if I had the money I would buy one without any question.

rustybarge

Visit site
The jabsocs in this sq58 are electric not plunger type, but thats by the by - they are basically junk and should be chucked out

When you say "same company" that's only half correct. Thetford acquired Tecma after Tecma but Tecma's brilliant loo had already been designed in Italy by Tecma's team and was on the market. It was designed to be the best rather than the cheapest, and they got it right (I was going to say they did a great job). There is zero overlap between the design of Porta Potti (a thetford product) and Tecma.

I've never had any problem with Tecmas and I've owned 12 of the beasts. They are fitted to loads of top brand yachts in the <30m segment. In that segment they are the very best product by a country mile. Jabso is complete junk in comparison, imho. Tecma is about £700 a pop of course, but you get a ceramic WC for that not plastic, and a pumping system that works (powered by a nearly 1/2 hp motor, unlike the ickle motor in a Jabsco)

Thanks for the recommendation.
1/2 hp should do the business! :D