Electric !!!!!

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
I haven’t heard of a marina with fixed metering and periodic billing built into their infrastructure for every individual electrical connection. I have found it much more commonplace for the boat owner to supply or rent their individual plug in meter.

AIUI UK marinas are not allowed to resell electricity at a profit, but can set their own standing charge to cover their admin costs, as well as charging for electricity used at the actual price to them. For short term visiting boats they can have a set fee per period (day or week etc) irrespective of the amount used but for long term berth holders with ongoing connections they must provide usage data and charges. It could be possible to provide bollards with prepayment for set periods or quantity of usage.
If they (or you) aren’t measuring your usage from a continuously available connection, how do they accurately show and bill what you have used for your boat?

Last edited:

Mister E

Visit site
At Pwhelli marina it is a fixed charge for electricity, if you don't want it you don't pay but the bollard is likely to be sealed.

Stemar

Visit site
I rather think we could be in for an interesting time at our club. There have been four 16A power points available for the use of people on the scrubbing grids for years, but boats along the pontoon have been running leads to get mains power, and the club's got fed up with giving free leccy, so they've installed a card system. We used to share leads, as there were never enough when things got busy, so I look forward with interest to what's going to happen when all the power points are taken. I never had a problem with people sharing my lead before, but I'm not generous enough to give them the leccy I paid for.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
I haven’t heard of a marina with fixed metering and periodic billing built into their infrastructure for every individual electrical connection. I have found it much more commonplace for the boat owner to supply or rent their individual plug in meter.

AIUI UK marinas are not allowed to resell electricity at a profit, but can set their own standing charge to cover their admin costs, as well as charging for electricity used at the actual price to them. For short term visiting boats they can have a set fee per period (day or week etc) irrespective of the amount used but for long term berth holders with ongoing connections they must provide usage data and charges. It could be possible to provide bollards with prepayment for set periods or quantity of usage.
If they (or you) aren’t measuring your usage from a continuously available connection, how do they accurately show and bill what you have used for your boat?
My boatyard certainly charges me for electric hookup. I think it adds about £4 per month. Much better when staying 'aboard' on club nights every 2 to 4 weeks. Straight to our lovely fan heater and no fiddling with the ebispacher and realising aux battery has gone flat so heater wont start

steveeasy

Visit site
It’s been said before I get myself in to things like this. I’ve reflected on the matter and think it’s not self inflicted.

When I appointed a contractor to repair my boat he did not ask for it to be lifted or ask for leccy. If he had asked me I’d have arranged it via the management. I could have added it to my insurance claim.

In jan I asked for power to use my grinder. I then found out I was responsible for a supply that had been used by the contractor big heaters outside.

I then went to use it last week only to find other contractors have used it and another boat owner had been instructed to use it as his own supply was faulty.

It’s a mess and one I’ll have to sort out. I am reluctantly happy to pay for the amount used by my contractor although he should have asked me. I’m not happy to pay for every Tom dick and Harry’s use. How does one calculate that!!!.

I’m sure all will be right but not without me digging deep!!!
Steveeasy