Electric !!!!!

steveeasy

Visit site
To keep things simple and under control. I don’t use electric. I don’t use battery chargers. Dehumidifiers or heaters. I have a diesel heater.

A couple of months ago I asked if I could use a socket and was told to use the one that was mine. Apparantly when my boat was repaired the contractor used power for big electric heaters to dry the keel out. Ouch. Id like to have known at the time but hey shit happens.

Now I came up again. And wanted to use a jig saw. When I went to plug in some boat owner had plugged in to my supply(not that I use it). And been running his dehumidifier on my electric I have to pay for.

Please advise how much power these things use 24 hrs a day.

Steveeasy

fredrussell

Visit site
My Meaco uses 600w on high, 300w on low. They have a humidistat so how much they run/consume depends on how damp their environment is.
If one ran on full power for 24 hours (unlikely) that would use 14,400 watts, so 14.4 units of leccy.

benjenbav

Visit site
To keep things simple and under control. I don’t use electric. I don’t use battery chargers. Dehumidifiers or heaters. I have a diesel heater.

A couple of months ago I asked if I could use a socket and was told to use the one that was mine. Apparantly when my boat was repaired the contractor used power for big electric heaters to dry the keel out. Ouch. Id like to have known at the time but hey shit happens.

Now I came up again. And wanted to use a jig saw. When I went to plug in some boat owner had plugged in to my supply(not that I use it). And been running his dehumidifier on my electric I have to pay for.

Please advise how much power these things use 24 hrs a day.

Steveeasy
Do you get billed for units used or a fixed charge per month irrespective?

steveeasy

Visit site
I got told if you stay for a year you can just use a socket.

Then when my boat was being repaired I noticed the contractor was useing big electric heaters to dry it. I thought to myself that’s costing a lot glad I’m not paying for it.

In jan I asked to use socket for tools just for 3 days. No heating. And got told use box whatever. The one you used during repair. I realised then I was going to pay!!!
Now in March I come up and other boat is on it with his Di humidifier running.

No I’m not charged any standing charge or I’ve not been told I am.

bet I get a huge bill and I’ve never used it other than power tools 3 days.

Steveeasy

steveeasy

Visit site
Can anyone just plug into anyone elses socket and use the leccy? If so I dont see how the marina can charge you or anyone else for metered electricity. Maybe ask the marina what the score is.
Yes that’s exactly what’s happening.
If people had any morals about them they would not do it especially when your running something 24/7. Do they think it’s free.
The manager not bothered as long as someone foots the bill and if it’s my socket looks like it’s on me.
I only turn up once every 4 weeks.
Steveeasy

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
Where I'm based the yard makes use plugs like this. There is a corresponding ring on the socket and you can padlock or cable tie your plug in place.
download.jpeg

Daverw

Visit site
We have power to each boat, power paid online per usage of each socket. To stop someone unplugging you and plugging themselves in as soon as you unplug the socket switches off and can only be turned on by logging into to your account and switching it back on. Simple but I suspect not cheap to initially install.

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
We have power to each boat, power paid online per usage of each socket. To stop someone unplugging you and plugging themselves in as soon as you unplug the socket switches off and can only be turned on by logging into to your account and switching it back on. Simple but I suspect not cheap to initially install.
In combination with DJE's lockable plug to prevent nuisance unplugging that would be a Good Solution!

Thistle

Visit site
My marina hands out in-line meters (for a returnable deposit) and trusts us to use them when we use electricity. Meters are self-read and reported on request. I guess the rest of us pay higher prices per unit to make up for the occasional freeloader.

steveeasy

Visit site
Where I'm based the yard makes use plugs like this. There is a corresponding ring on the socket and you can padlock or cable tie your plug in place.
View attachment 174396
Good idea, but I don’t use it other than a random day in a month.
I’ve a feeling the boat owner may have been told to use my nominated plug. No one would do it intentionally, just had a contractor here he’s been using it too. Id be better off keeping it connected but I don’t need too. I’m sure it will rear its ugly head soon.

Steveeasy

oldbloke

Visit site
Steve easy, last year you started a thread full of dudgeon about " unauthorised expenditure " while having your boat repaired. As you found out after actually asking the relevant people this proved to be a non event. Have you actually asked the marina what the facts are, or are you just jumping straight to a conclusion again?

steveeasy

Visit site
Steve easy, last year you started a thread full of dudgeon about " unauthorised expenditure " while having your boat repaired. As you found out after actually asking the relevant people this proved to be a non event. Have you actually asked the marina what the facts are, or are you just jumping straight to a conclusion again?
Did I, Actually I started a thread about my boat being lifted without knowing anything about it. Yes I was concerned that the cost would be passed on to me.

in relation to electric boat owners are charged for electric. Unless you can think of a reason it should be free. I’ve been assigned an electrical socket to use and only that one. I don’t often use it. ( a boat close to me has been using it for 4-6 weeks for his dehumidifier.

So how can anyone work who is responsible for what.

yes I’m jumping to a conclusion, I’m not sure why anyone would come to any other outcome.

I like things black and white. No fuss, no confussion. Seams sensible policy to me.
Steveeasy

steveeasy

Visit site
My marina hands out in-line meters (for a returnable deposit) and trusts us to use them when we use electricity. Meters are self-read and reported on request. I guess the rest of us pay higher prices per unit to make up for the occasional freeloader.
Actually not sure he is a freeloader. I wonder if he was told to use the socket. But how then can one proportion costs.

We will see
Tomorrow morning 9am, phone the marina office and discuss.
Solved

I have discussed it.

Thanks
Steveeasy

steveeasy

Visit site
I reckon you need to discuss it some more Steve, get to the bottom of things.
Think your right. It’s no big deal just don’t like grey areas.

I’ve discussed it with the big honcho and explained I don’t want to pay for someone else’s needs and equally neither does the big Honcho.

It’s unorganised mess quite frankly. How do you tell them that. Without offending them.

Steveeasy