Wood cockpit windows frame re-seal to deck

Jonti

Visit site
I’ve just spent four days removing old silicone seal between all my wooden window frames and the white GRP of the top area of the deck. I’ve got to re-seal this, I don’t want to use Sika or any strong adhesive. I was going to use black Arbo 1000, i’ve made some tests with this and although it takes a fair while to cure it’s a nice finish and can if need be, can be trimmed with a knife. But then I had a thought ….. perhaps WHITE Arbo 1000 might be better (looks wise) for this than BLACK / seal (about 6mm depth) see pic…between the wood windows and white deck. I just wondered if anyone had any experience with this? My main concern is if the Arbo white will get really dirty given it’s not a smooth gloss cure, more of a rubbery matt finish? R. Jon.

Attachments

• IMG_1604.jpeg
    IMG_1604.jpeg
    530.8 KB · Views: 7

Tranona

Visit site
It is recommended for perimeter sealing of window frames, although I have never used it for that. Give it a go as not the end of the world to remove it if it does look grotty after a while.

tillergirl

Visit site
I have a similar issue. The timber (utlle) strake on the GRP hull did not have a perfect profile on the back: i.e. the back of the wood was flat while there is a small curvature on the hull. The mastic along the top of the joint had failed and water was getting behind. I was able to rake out a lot of the failed mastic. I then applied masking tape top and bottom of the joint leaving the gap free. I then applied Arbo 1000 (grey actually - black unavailable and back order had no information) along the joint pushing as much mastic down the back. At the right time I removed the masking tape and I am happy with the result. Is it reliable? Well time will tell.

I might be able to get a photo tomorrow afternoon.

Jonti

Visit site
Sounds similar to what I’ve got planned- because i’ve never used Arbo 1000 before it has a slightly more runny consistency/ ideal for getting deeper into joins (i think), but finishing/ when to remove masking tape etc (given the mess it can make) will be interesting. I plan to do a test first to check this. Usually with silicon i finish it before it skins and then remove masking tape immediately (otherwise it tends to tear) this stuff i’m not sure about- i guess a few tests to learn this especially as it’s going to be such a visible area will probably be worth it.

tillergirl

Visit site
I found removing immediately with Arbo didn't work. I removed it when I could see a skin, a thin skin, started. Getting the width and angle of nozzle was important so the actually 'fillet' did not need any tooling.