Gennaker mast head U bolt size

Travelling Westerly

Visit site
I was re fitting my gennaker halyard mast head pully today and experienced a slight challenge whist up there.

The 2 holes drilled in the mast head sheave box plate cover were spaced apart by 24mm. The only U bolt I could find at 24mm spacing was a 6mm arrangement which has a WLL of 656kg. I'm not sure if this has enough strength to take the power of the gennaker when in use.

The old arrangement was an 8mm affair but it got lost when it was removed a few seasons ago.

The gennaker is for a 12m, 12t (ish) cruiser and has a 17m luff. Im not sure how to work out its size though.

I'm worried that the 6mm thick U bolt won't be strong enough up there..

Does anybody have any thoughts if it's suitable or not?

Thanks

Frogmogman

Visit site
The formulae I have for sheet and halyard loads (for a Genoa, not a gennaker) are

Genoa sheet load in lbs = SA * V² * 0.00431.

Halyard load in lbs = (SA * .00256 * V²) + Sheet load

SA = Sail area in sqft
V = Wind speed in knots

Last edited:

justanothersailboat

Visit site
Selden, or before that Kemp, masts sometimes (often?) have a U-bolt that is not a standard U-bolt size - it's narrow for its thread diameter, like you describe. So you're kind of stuck with the expensive Selden one I fear. At least that's what happened to me!

Travelling Westerly

Visit site
Ah fantastic help, thanks team, much appreciated.

I do indeed have a Selden/Kemp mast. I had no idea it could be a Selden U bolt.

I wondered about the strange size and why it was slightly bent when I removed it!

I wish I hadn't put it in such a secure place so as I cant find it again.

Thanks again

Martin_J

Visit site
I'm not on board at the moment to check my spare... but I really seem to think that it's the larger one of those Selden ones used at the masthead on my S38 .

Double check... Allspars or other Selden agent will know for sure.