East uk public/privte slipway?

tonyart

Visit site
Hi, I live near Boston lincs. I'm unfamiliar with the east coast. This is a long shot but does anyone know where I can launch a trailer sailer 17ft keelboat, and also has a pontoon to rig up? So far I have been struggling to find anything, also tried emailing the main rya site but not much help there.

Thanks for any help

fredrussell

Visit site
I would imagine most of the marinas would have a suitable ramp and pontoon, no? Woolverstone marina on the Orwell definitely has one, give them a call.

jasperthedog

Visit site
Have you looked at wells next the sea, they have a slip way opposite the sailing club.
Plus sea wall or pontoon to rig on.
Just tides could be restrictive depending on keel configuration

Daverw

Visit site
Have you looked at wells next the sea, they have a slip way opposite the sailing club.
Plus sea wall or pontoon to rig on.
Just tides could be restrictive depending on keel configuration
i think wells would be a really challenge to rig up with the fast tide, just keeping our boat alongside with good spring lines it still moves about a lot and sea wall cannot be used as it’s for fishing boats.
have you looked at Brancaster Staithe?
other option is Humber Yawl Club, their Winteringham Haven has slip and pontoons but drys out and members only, GCYC at Grimsby have slip but the also members only and not sure you would be allowed to lock out of the big royal dock in a small boat, would be rather scary.

Concerto

Visit site
The biggest problem is from the Humber southward to Great Yarmouth, there is really only Wells as a harbour. This section of coast is very sparse and has virtually no harbours. The nearst places I know that might be able to help are these 2 clubs. The alternative would be to go to a marina and use a travel hoist for launch and recovery, but this will be expensive.

Royal Norfolk and Suffolk Yacht Club have a slipway and pontoons. Membership only.
Royal Norfolk & Suffolk Yacht Club - Royal Norfolk & Suffolk Yacht Club

At Aldeburgh Yacht Club they have a slipway and pontoon. Membership only.
Home

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Might recommend the book , Launching sites , I have found its contents really usefull

Guess that many previous 'Public launching' sites have been 'aquired' as one might say , so might not be available now

Best of luck in your seaching

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Hope you find what you are looking for.

Care may be needed when parking the car and trailer. Some places may require payment . Best to check first.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Hi, I live near Boston lincs. I'm unfamiliar with the east coast. This is a long shot but does anyone know where I can launch a trailer sailer 17ft keelboat, and also has a pontoon to rig up? So far I have been struggling to find anything, also tried emailing the main rya site but not much help there.

Thanks for any help

In that case, Wisbech is probably your best bet. They have a slip, yard and pontoons.

DanTribe

Visit site
In my neck of the woods, Thames estuary, we have lost much of our public rights of access to the sea. For a seafaring nation I find this very sad.
Is it happening in other parts of the country?

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
As others have suggested. The most 'convenient' sailing and facilities are down in Suffolk and Essex. Though the 'niche' sailing in less frequented and/or more challenging locations can have its own rewards (and possibly cost savings too!) .

Nearer to you a few ideas to perhaps check out below. The most 'convenient' and likely marked by asterixes.

All would require further research and/or a prior visit. Most in this area will be heavily tide constrained for launching recovery. I think you will be hard pushed to find a slipway and pontoon in the same location, and need to be a bit more flexible - crane launch and pontoon, or slipway and manage without a pontoon. There are plenty of places you could keep a boat, trailing home or elsewhere once or twice a year, but few convenient for day sailing off a trailer.

HUMBER - note very strong tides
(all the following on S bank of Humber)
*** Winteringham - Humber Yawl Club , I believe has a slipway (friendly bunch, also have a site at Brough on N bank of Humber).

South Ferriby - South Ferriby Marina I suspect only launches by crane (but check with them, but has pontoons or other moorings and is upstream of a lock to the Humber, so not tide dependent for launching. Also there's what like a slipway from the car park of the Hope and Anchor nearby, on the Humber side of the aforementioned lock.

Barrow Haven - Looks to be a slipway adjacent to Old Ferry Wharf.

Humberston - slipway onto sandy? beach at Humber Mouth Yacht Club

THE WASH
Gibraltar Point - Gibraltar Point Sailing Club has a slipway. Very tidally restricted, and will need local knowledge advice about timing and navigating in and out.

Fosdyke Marina - Crane launch only? Pontoons. Said to be a long trek to and from the sea.

Sutton Bridge - Pontoon berths, but no obvious launching/recovery facilities in immediate vicinity.

King's Lynn - Slipway in car park at rear of Corn Exchange Theatre. Contact KL Harbourmaster for info (n.b. not leisure boat oriented). No pontoon adjacent (visitor pontoon further upstream, but should be possible to manage in vicinity of the slip if you get the tide right. Ouse Amateur Sailing Club (building premises close by) nearby may be able to offer advice on locality (although I was told it was mainly a drinking & club).

Snettisham - Snettisham Beach Sailing Club - slipway onto sandy beach.

Heacham - Public slipway onto sandy beach at roundabout at end of Jubilee Way.

Hunstanton South Beach - Slipway onto beach.

Old Hunstanton - May be able to launch onto beach at Sea Lane?

Thornham Old Harbour - May be able to do muddy launch off Staithe Lane?

Brancaster - Looks a candidate. I don't know details.

*** Burnham Overy State - Looks a good candidate.

*** Wells-Next-The-Sea - Looks a good candidate. Get info from harbourmaster (said to be helpful)

*** Morston - Looks a good candidate.

*** Blakeney - Looks a good candidate.

tillergirl

Visit site
If I were young :LOL: I would love to go to Wells, Burnham and Blakeney. A 17 footer would be great exploring along there - I remember the 'Turning Left' video there in particular. Mind you the Suffolk and Essex rivers are well worth areas to explore.

WoodyP

Visit site
There's a slipway owned by the Environment Agency just upstream of the bridge near Fosdyke marina. I'm sure if you ring David Parkinson at the marina he will let you have a look see.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
All would require further research and/or a prior visit. Most in this area will be heavily tide constrained for launching recovery. I think you will be hard pushed to find a slipway and pontoon in the same location, and need to be a bit more flexible - crane launch and pontoon, or slipway and manage without a pontoon. There are plenty of places you could keep a boat, trailing home or elsewhere once or twice a year, but few convenient for day sailing off a trailer.

Your long list of places in The Wash does not include Wisbech, which has a slip 50 yds from the pontoons.

Sutton Bridge
- Pontoon berths, but no obvious launching/recovery facilities in immediate vicinity.

There is no slip at Sutton Bridge

Snettisham - Snettisham Beach Sailing Club - slipway onto sandy beach.

Heacham - Public slipway onto sandy beach at roundabout at end of Jubilee Way.

Hunstanton South Beach - Slipway onto beach.

Old Hunstanton - May be able to launch onto beach at Sea Lane?

None of these has a pontoon and are very, very tidally constrained. It would be a very brave man to launch a keel boat from any of these beaches, unless he drove there on a tractor.

WoodyP

Visit site
There was a slipway in Boston down from the port entrance that the sailing club used but I don't know if it's still accessible since the tidal barrage was installed.