Dorset / Dolphins

Way

We've been sailing on the south coast for years now and are really keen (desperate) to see some Dolphins. We hear that between Durlston and Anvil Point is a great place. Any thoughts? and any better times to go by? I know some people in Jersey that regularly seem them and go out very early....5am ish

Any tips would be more than appreciated!

Tranona

Visit site
Yes, seen dolphins a number of times off Old Harry and even in the Swash Channel. However, unpredictable. You need to sail of the east South Island NZ (Kaikura) coast to be sure of seeing them, although have seen many in the Ionian Sea over the years.

Channel Sailor

Visit site
Juts based on my own experiences, +1 Old Harry and seaward end of the Swash channel/bar area, but that was many years ago. Never anywhere else near that area. But others may have had other sightings elsewhere. I have seen them out in the deep water mid channel towards the channel islands. I vaguely recall the time of year is important when looking for them in the English Channel.

RupertW

Visit site
I used to always see a big dolphin when entering the Solent from the East, and otherwise off Shoreham was a good place as apparently the power station warms the water and encourages fish. To my surprise I saw a tiny one near one of the windfarms off Brightlingsea this weekend.

I wonder whether you motor much as nearly all the times I've seen dolphins its been dead calm and they have appeared soon after we put the motor on.

cagey

Visit site
2 weeks ago on way back from CIs saw 5 seperate pods between Guernsey and Salcombe, largest containing at least 15 was about 10 miles S of Salcombe they played with the boat for about 10 mins ,best of luck in spotting some ,it is a privilige to see them.
K

lpdsn

Visit site
Yes, seen dolphins a number of times off Old Harry and even in the Swash Channel. However, unpredictable. You need to sail of the east South Island NZ (Kaikura) coast to be sure of seeing them, although have seen many in the Ionian Sea over the years.

There's a high probability of seeing them at some stage on passage between Land's End and Tuskar.

Visit site
Last edited:

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
SWMBO saw two on Monday evening about 5 miles south of St Albans head. I was off watch but she squealed so loud I had to dash up on deck .

SimonFa

Visit site
Been up and down between Weymouth and Studland/Solent numerous times and never seen one let alone anything like Phil's. Have seen them in Lyme Bay and on a Channel crossing north of Guernsey.

Was on Portland Bill on Saturday and spent some time watching a seal playing, not as exciting but still fun

Seajet

Visit site
The main places I've seen Dolphins were off Gorey, Jersey - and a few miles S of Salcombe - see pic.

Also saw plenty of Pilot Whales between Jersey & Guernsey, lots of Basking Sharks off Plymouth and once, Porpoises in the Solent; the last was a weird thundery day and the porpoises seemed to be moving in a fast & businesslike pod going E-W.

View attachment 58940

macd

Visit site
There's a high probability of seeing them at some stage on passage between Land's End and Tuskar.

Yes, the Celtic sea offers more sightings than anywhere I've sailed.
The Irish S coast is awash with them, both commons and bottlenose. So much so that I once recorded in the log (tongue in cheek), "more bloody dolphins".
Once had a solitary bottlenose for company for almost 10 hours from off the Small Isles to Land's End. We subsequently exchanged christmas cards.
Encountered a pod of commons off Padstow which stayed with us until half-a dozen peeled off to torment a nearby basking shark.
Had a pod for company crossing Mounts Bay just after I bought my last boat: took it as a good omen.
Scottish W coast has generally been relatively disappointing. You sometimes see harbour porpoises (?) in the distance, but they show no interest in yachts. A few sightings of commons & bottlenoses, but nothing like the Celtic Sea.

Off Kinsail: Common Dolphins.jpg

Last edited:

sniffyjenkins

www.amihumanyet.co.uk
Salcombe here too, some time this May bringing Marschallin home from Falmouth.

We noticed a really large pod just out of the harbour, and a small group peeled off to come check us out. They circled the boat, swam underneath. I took a couple of rubbish videos where you can't see anything much and all you can hear is me squealing!

It was damn magical.

dolphin.jpg

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
We had about eight with us for about twenty minutes roughly halfway across Lyme Bay about two weeks ago. That's the most I've ever seen together and I had my kids with me, so an unforgettable experience.