Dipping an eye?

Frank Holden

Visit site
Steel hawsers used for towing have the same properties I understand.

Have seen them used as dock lines on submarines too. The synthetic ones used now are far more popular with the casing party.
Yes , ships always used to have an 'insurance wire' on a drum at the break of the focsle, maybe they still do.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Pretty sure this was taught on my day skipper a million years ago. It's normal practice if sharing a cleat as far as Im aware. I suppose if you're one of the new wave learn everything from YouTube and assume you're an instant expert types it might be a surprise.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Isn't it illustrated in the RYA Competent Crew booklet?

I have a vague recollection (all my recollections are vague these days 🙄) of a sketch by Dick Everitt showing it.

The Dick Everitt Boat owners Skitch books 5 of the published by PDO are a valued source of useful information

Don't know if dipping the eye is included

Stemar

Visit site
Dipping is certainly what I was taught on my DS, though I don't think it was called that.

We had an excellent example of what not to do yesterday. Our spliced eye was over the cleat and a mobo came into the space in front of us. Used the same cleat with a cat's cradle of locking turns that were so tight Madame couldn't get them undone when we wanted to leave.

It's Madame's job to deal with the lines because she wants me at the helm in case the boat escapes ;)