Diabetes

martingrout

Visit site
As a newly diagnosed type 1 diabetic I would like infomation and help as to the difficuties and problems encounterd . Does this mean that my planned trip to the med has to be canccled or does an
ybody know the availability and cost of insulin in this area
All help would be very welcom

poter

Still going south currently in Corsica for winter
www.fairhead.com
Martin,
No problems at all.

However you say that you are newly diagnosed, is it under control?

Your doc can issue you with drugs for up to 2 months, or if he is willing sometimes longer. You can get a repeat prescription form ( also get photocopies) which will allow you to get your insulin in EEC countries.
Take a form E111 obtainable from your local Postoffice (also get some photocopies)

And finally have a good trip.

poter.

david_bagshaw

Visit site
Firstly welcom to the forum,

Mum(72 yrs) has been an insulin injecting diabetic for 40 years. now 4 times a day

Dad has never had any trouble getting supplies for 3 months , which we use to store in tupperware containers in the bilge in our old wooden boat.

Always has been an advantage boating as there has never been a problem with meal times & absoloute control on sugar content.

Eating ashore can be a pboblem if food takes a long time to arrive after injection

go for it, just take many test strips as your normal type might not easily be available.

One last thought, & a bottle of under tounge sugar solution incase you get a hypo. Personaly have had to administer it twice, once when I was 18 while driving with Mum, & once last yr, but that was mainly due to complications following a stroke.

On a practical note consider where you throw away used needles, & never leave them out as an attractive theft item. Never had problems with customs etc. If you want any more details send me a pm

David
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.euroboating.net>http://www.euroboating.net</A>

petery

Visit site
I have diabetes controlled by insulin. I found that, in the early stages of taking the injections that strenuous exercise brought on a 'hypo' often quite unexpectedly even though I had been following instructions strictly and my blood sugar was well within limits.

My problems always seem to be too much insulin! There is nothing quite so un-nerving when you are at sea, feel a hypo coming on and have no glucose tablets to hand. . . .and families with diabetics frequently never take sugar with their tea or coffee - so no use looking in the lockers.

btw my consultant told me two weeks ago that of the top ten things for a diabetic to control, the first NINE are blood pressure - then comes blood sugar.

moral . . . a hypo is a great excuse for a diabetic to eat a Mars bar!