Cutlas bearing

mad_boater

Visit site
Does my Sealine 360 Statesman have a cutlas type bearing inboard as well as the usual one next to the props?.We found a piece of cutlas bearing minus the brass backing wedged where the shaft enters the boat.If there is one it's a new one on me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 0

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Does my Sealine 360 Statesman have a cutlas type bearing inboard as well as the usual one next to the props?.We found a piece of cutlas bearing minus the brass backing wedged where the shaft enters the boat.If there is one it's a new one on me.

Oh , it looks like it's parted with the brass outer shell, looks like you have a job on, shaft out and inspect what left inside the shaft log.

Neil_Y

www.h4marine.com
I would have thought so as the shaft needs more support than just the P bracket and the engine coupling to stop it flexing.

The rubber in a rubber bearing can separate from the carrier as yours has, with rubber bearings the rubber is moulded inside a rigid tube which can be made of composite or metal. Composite bearings on the other hand come in one piece so they never separate.

Dill et Bound

Visit site
I would have thought so as the shaft needs more support than just the P bracket and the engine coupling to stop it flexing.

The cutlass bearing has completely delaminated, and as Neil says the shaft is probably flexing.

It could however be an alignment problem.

I encountered similar delamination on an A bracket that had been put out of line. Dropping the revs by 1500 rpm heating up the cutlass..

It had damaged the shaft also, but this was sorted by end for ending and swapping Port for Starboard, putting the damaged section in the engine room.

Check to make sure your engine feet are all ok !! See if one prop is easier to turn than the other. Look for damage by the props.

A good way to check inboard alignment is to slip the coupling back off the register. It should slip back on and mate perfectly if in line

As Paul says, When you do find out whats wrong, its a shaft out, and not altogether a straightforward fix.

Good luck with your problem.