Crewsaver goes Spinlock!

prv

Visit site
However, I would not buy Crewsaver for the simple reason that an annual service starts at about £18.

I've just done my annual service. Cost me an evening :)

I guess you're commercial so are required to pay someone to perform this simple task?

Pete

Talulah

Visit site
I've just done my annual service. Cost me an evening :)

I guess you're commercial so are required to pay someone to perform this simple task?

Pete

Correct and multiply by 8. Baltic on the other hand are very reasonable and I really like their lifejackets.

Last edited:

FishyInverness

www.gaelforcegroup.com
I'd always avoided crewsaver because, well I didn't like the original crewfit, felt uncomfortable, and the pricing used to be (and still is for some models) ridiculously high, simply because it's Crewsaver.

And yes, I agree that their service policy is grabby!

But the Crewfit 190 last year grew on me, and I like this style even more. If the price is sensible then I think it has a good chance of challenging Spinlock.

They could use a proof-reader for their adverts though....it has a pocket for an EPIRB! :eek: and apparently you can attach your EPIRB to the front using a velcro tab....:eek: don't fancy waddling around with an EPIRB in the pocket... :p

Last edited:

Norman_E

Visit site
They look good, but I would have to try one before buying. I bought lifejackets when I bought the boat, but quickly had to buy another with the gas cylinder on the left. Most makers put the cylinder on the right where it is downright painful to wear for anyone who has suffered a hiatus hernia.

Pleiades

Visit site
Crewsaver kit

I have found over the years that the quality of Crewsaver lifejackets justifies the high price - lifejackets is not an area where I would be overly concerned about buying cheap. Whippet here is modelling the 290 Crewfit which has an integral hood and Solas light attached. It is easy to put on and very well made.
Graduation378.jpg
The previous 275 jackets used press studs on the collar which quickly dissolve in salt water. I have always felt that they could do with an external pocket -for a miniflare - so the newest design looks interesting.

Robin
Pleiades of Birdham
MXWQ5

Monique

Visit site
But 150 N???? Guaranteed to drown if you go over with any amount of foul weather gear.

Unless someone can educate me.... (happened a few times before):D:D

FishyInverness

www.gaelforcegroup.com
I have found over the years that the quality of Crewsaver lifejackets justifies the high price - lifejackets is not an area where I would be overly concerned about buying cheap. Whippet here is modelling the 290 Crewfit which has an integral hood and Solas light attached. It is easy to put on and very well made. The previous 275 jackets used press studs on the collar which quickly dissolve in salt water. I have always felt that they could do with an external pocket -for a miniflare - so the newest design looks interesting.

Robin
Pleiades of Birdham
MXWQ5

I'd have to disagree, though the 290crewfit is a very well made jacket, i've tried it on, worn it for a while, fired it, repacked it, generally it's a lovely jacket. It has a lot of improvements over previous Crewsaver crewfit models. But the quality of crewsaver jackets is no better than a lot of their compeititors..I say that from retailing somewhere in the region of 10 different brands.

Eg, the Crewfit 290 (Rated 275n) has a retail price in the region of £250.00
On the other hand the ISP Pro 275n lifejacket retails around the £140.00 mark.

I have tried on both jackets, the difference between the two is neglible, the high quality is present on both, the features are the same (except for the interlocking bladders on the ISP which form a wave barrier, that's an ISP patented technology) - the extra you pay for Crewsaver is because it's Crewsaver, and as a consumer I would resent that. It's a bit more galling that Crewsaver also insist on the "back to base" servicing, preventing you from choosing a local authorised service station who could well be cheaper.

Incidentally : When you mentioned press-studs, are you referring to previous Crewsaver offerings? Or just other 275n lifejackets using press studs that melted away? I wouldn't choose a 275n jacket with press studs, zip only for preference and I know that crewsaver still market a welded bladder, press stud fixing 275n lifejacket at an eyewateringly high price for what it is.

I hear a lot of requests for pockets, to stow emergency equipment for if the lifejacket was used in anger. But it's a bit of a rock and a hard place, as there are few places that you can put a pocket on a lifejacket that wont be blown into a completely inaccessible area when the bladder inflated. The ones in mesh panelling at the side or rear seem the most effective.

But anyway - The Ergofit pricing does look as if it has a very reasonable target price, so perhaps Crewsaver have realised that they can do quality without adding that extra £50-£100 for putting their logo on it! ;)

Last edited:

davidwf

Visit site
Looking at the pictures it looks a lot bulkier than the spinlock deckvest. I have used a spinlock for several years now and am really pleased with it. I like the fit and really like the soft buckle and life line attachment. With my previous life jacket a crewsaver I managed to scratch the nav station really bad.

Plus on my crewsavers they both had to have replacement bladders at around 3 years old as the hammer would not seal, that was not a cheap repair.

Also when spinlock did a recall they were really efficient and helpful.

So for the time being sticking with spinlock.

Pleiades

Visit site
Crewsaver saving

Hi Mr FishyInverness, thanks for info - I have not seen an ISP lifejacket so can't comment on em - I would still say that Crewsaver quality control has stood the test of time for me over 40 years of buying their kit so that track record is a bit of a challenge for ISP - if it says Crewsaver that still counts for a reasonable assurance of continuous quality control. I will peruse the web site of a well known Scottish chandlery to find out more about ISP goodies.
The dissolving press studs are shown in the picture below on the red 275 jacket collar- they used to be metal which was water soluble, the more recent one are plastic and don't last long either, hence I prefer now to go for the burst zip of the 290 new style. I service my own so thats less of an issue.
Personalkit1-1.jpg

Cheers,
Robin
Pleiades of Birdham
MXWQ5

FishyInverness

www.gaelforcegroup.com
Hi Mr FishyInverness, thanks for info - I have not seen an ISP lifejacket so can't comment on em - I would still say that Crewsaver quality control has stood the test of time for me over 40 years of buying their kit so that track record is a bit of a challenge for ISP - if it says Crewsaver that still counts for a reasonable assurance of continuous quality control. I will peruse the web site of a well known Scottish chandlery to find out more about ISP goodies.
The dissolving press studs are shown in the picture below on the red 275 jacket collar- they used to be metal which was water soluble, the more recent one are plastic and don't last long either, hence I prefer now to go for the burst zip of the 290 new style. I service my own so thats less of an issue.
Cheers,
Robin
Pleiades of Birdham
MXWQ5

NP Robin, By the way, given that pic, I'm impressed with your approach to sea safety, nicely equipped jacket for a personal MOB situation...is that a Captain Currey's on the Lanyard? :)

I would agree that the newer offerings in the form of the Crewfit 190 and similar have a great quality feel - but it's exactly the jacket to the left in your picture that I have an issue with, I take it that's a Crewfit 150 or similar? With those retailing at over £100, and even Plastimo/Baltic models using Velcro seals and at least £40 less - it is hard to see what you're paying for! Surely if you've had problems with a popper fitting too, it does suggest that the quality of the bread and butter crewfits aren't that great..considering you're paying a premium price for it!

Variety is the spice of life though! :) Looking at it, I reckon the Ergofit, if the price comes in at target will likely be very well received....

Pleiades

Visit site
Saving Crewsaver

I was aware of the recall for the Crewsavers but thanks for the heads up - I think any lifejacket on its own is only so good - better one's chances with a knife (from the goodly Captain indeed), torch, lifejacket light, spray hood, legs staps and as shown the miniflare. I now also have a PLB which is a neat little gadget - wonders of modern technology, and on occasions pop a a hand held vhf in my jacket pocket - the decision threshold for carrying the handheld is if the breaking waves are above the height of the cross trees..... I reach for the vhf just after the change of strides :D

Robin
Pleiades of Birdham
MXWQ5