Corvette 32 - Bought & Home now

benjenbav

Visit site
The draftsman knew how to create hierarchy - see 13a and the first line of 18 - he just forgot to apply that knowledge often enough.

The drafting clumsiness is evident in many places though. See 13b - he writes a deeming providion when what he should have written is a definition. I cannot think of any case where not coming from the 22.5degree sector is overtaking or generally understood by seaman to be, so this should not have been a deeming provision. The deeming would only be appropriate where there is another definition of overtaking elsewhere in the Colregs, which there isn't

And don't you love 13c? The "not sure" guy is compelled to assume something that might not actually be happening. What about everyone else? If they have better nav equipment so that they are in no doubt about what is actually happening, they are neither compelled nor permitted to make the same assumption, and they cannot know that the other guy is compelled to assume. So now we have two potential colliders potentially operating on different premises as to what is going on. Bloomin marvellous! The whole thing is riddled with poor thinking

I think the manner of the drafting of Colregs can be contrasted with that of the best legislation where propositions are challenged and wrangled over to the nth degree.

However, on a lighter note, it's worth sharing a comment which has often cheered me up when the way forward has seemed to be obscured by the mists of uncertainty. This was the closing remark of a con with a current Justice of the UK Supreme Court back in the day when his thoughts were available to the paying punter. Closing the discussion, he said - unless I misheard - something like: "Fear not, I'll back myself to find some contradictions in any document of this age and weight."

Last edited:

paul salliss

Visit site
If I was to go back to the beginning and start all over again there is a good chance I would have been an owner of a Corvette.

Cracking boat one of my favourite's

Ian h

Visit site
Well Done Trevor in getting the boat at the right price, Looking forward to see some pictures as work progresses

superheat6k

Visit site
I took the French inshore route - through the Violet channel to the east of Jersey then straight up through the Alderney race, so I was well east of the TSS. Great to use the Raymarine C120 MARPA function for the first time. I had all the targets acquired well out of view in the low to moderate visibility, and it is weird how the head up display has them all homing in on you at the centre of the screen.

superheat6k

Visit site
Beaching legs - so cheap mid season prop cleaning for me now. They bolt to the sides of the hull just level with the aft cabin, where there is a 20mm hole for the stud to pass into, this is secured from within with the large nut, plus there are lines to stabilise the legs.

The original invoice shows She was built with a reinforced keel shoe, so should be good for this.

As the tide drops the boat is held nice and upright on the keel, but it needs to find a nice firm and level spot. I fancy trying the beach on the left as you enter Bembridge, but any hard can be used.

Not sure what to do with them when I am not likely to need them as they are a bit unsightly left on the deck - however, these were one of the nice surprises last week.

JerseyDiver

Visit site
Congrats on your new toy. I saw her by the lifeboat last Friday but no one was aboard.
Table and chairs set out on aft deck enjoying a better day of this summer.

benjenbav

Visit site
Beaching legs - so cheap mid season prop cleaning for me now. They bolt to the sides of the hull just level with the aft cabin, where there is a 20mm hole for the stud to pass into, this is secured from within with the large nut, plus there are lines to stabilise the legs.

The original invoice shows She was built with a reinforced keel shoe, so should be good for this.

As the tide drops the boat is held nice and upright on the keel, but it needs to find a nice firm and level spot. I fancy trying the beach on the left as you enter Bembridge, but any hard can be used.

Not sure what to do with them when I am not likely to need them as they are a bit unsightly left on the deck - however, these were one of the nice surprises last week.

I've often thought that a really nice day out from the Hamble would be to pop over to Ryde, park on the nice flat beach there, nice cup of tea whilst the water level drops, scrub the boat's bum and dangly bits, hop back on board, watch the world go by as the water rises and then home for another nice cup of tea.

The beaching legs ought to make this a regular event.

All with the added bonus of having done it all on purpose, rather than by a navigational error...:D

benjenbav

Visit site
And...it doesn't take a professor of man-maths to see that the beaching legs have just saved you £50k against the cost of a gyro to get that total "steady as a rock" feel when stationary at anchor/on the beach. :D

rwoofer

Visit site
I'm always beaching our boat, so I'm very surprised how few mobos seem designed to do it. It will be one of the most important criteria when we change up, which is why an outboard powered MF855 is in sight. For shaft or out drives there seems to be very little choice.

superheat6k

Visit site
And...it doesn't take a professor of man-maths to see that the beaching legs have just saved you £50k against the cost of a gyro to get that total "steady as a rock" feel when stationary at anchor/on the beach. :D

I fancy the idea of Ryde, but not sure beaching legs quite equate to a gyro, nor £50k. Perhaps I should create a City hedge fund - beachinglegs.com as at that level of saving it must be a good investment.

Hot Property

Visit site
Yo Trev,

So you are the owner of the corvette with a red stripe down the port side now.....

I wondered whose it was.

Bit of an ebb tide thing going on this afternoon at the pontoon!

:)