Corvette 32 - Bought & Home now

superheat6k

Visit site
I have now acquired my own longed for Corvette 32. Coolavin 2 arrived at Foulkes Yard on Saturday after a 10 hour jaunt from St Helier.

Saw some Dolphins off the north east corner of Jersey, and we had a cracking ride home in her. The Cummins Engines didn't miss a beat. She is faster than I expected, and despite being a bit neglected due to the prior owners age, the defect list isn't too long. She will need some TLC, which she will definitely get.

Had a near autocation with the Condor in heavy mist leaving St Helier, but he saw me long before I saw him - got to know how to use the radar in short order after that. Then had a close thing with a tw@t in a freighter mid channel who simply refused to budge from his course up channel with me on his stbd bow and very clearly the stand on vessel, and by then 2-3 mile visibility conditions. Sensibility exceeded valour when I decided on a swift port turn to tuck under his stern. I know a port turn is not ideal, but my manoeuvre was far to swift to risk him suddenly making a stbd turn to meet me - should I have called him up to explain the Colregs applied to him too ? I was sorely tempted.

She will shortly be re-named 'Boadicea' - a 19th Century Sailing Corvette of the Royal Navy, and a Sigma 36 yacht I extensively sailed in a previous life. Wasn't allowed to include Boadicea in either of our Girl's names, so the boat will bear it.

She will need some tlc to bring her back to the condition I desire, which I intend will see her emulate the newer Corvette 320 models within 2 - 3 winters.

I could run a Vas style thread on this if any interest in this exists.

Finally thanks to this who have helped and advised me during my purchase, and especially to Roy - Spottydog5 for his very kind offer to provide offshore support on Saturday, which thankfully was not needed.

Now just got to settle the VAT. Now I know how the actual procedure to pay this works I will issue a separate thread explaining to others how this is done, and the omissions from Customs Notice 8.

superheat6k

Visit site
I have tried to load photo bucket, but it won't work on my Mac. Is there another way I can get photos from iPhotos onto the forum threads (simple please ) ?

rafiki_

Visit site
Great news Trevor, and looking forward to your new thread. I use Photobucket, works fine for my iPad, so I can't think why it wouldn't for your Mac?

Momac

Visit site
Congratulations on the new boat and getting it home safely.

On the subject of your encounter with a ship . I don't expect ships to alter their course for a little 30 odd foot boat like mine. But I do keep well out of their way.
If you make a very positive course change at a sensible distance, as you did, it makes no odds whether you turn to port or starboard.

[2068]

Visit site
Great news, Trevor!
I too would be interested in upgrade pix.

As for expecting a freighter to change course for you ... starting point for the freighter would be to have someone actually awake and on their bridge who is not reading a book or on their ipad. One day you might find one, but until then I'll just assume everyone is asleep and the autopilot is "on". It's much easier that way :)

Andy Bav

Visit site
Congratulations on the acquisition. Quite a daunting first trip in an unknown boat. Did you catch the Condors wake we did and submarined for a few metres!

Always interested in seeing upgrade / refit posts.

jfm

Visit site
Many congratulations superheat. I wiush you many seasons of fun in the new machine, and yes please post pictures as well as a refit/tlc thread

Your Colregs comment shows yet again the shortcomings in that awful set of rules. Sure, you have rule 10a that says normal rules apply in TSS lanes including rule 15 (crossing vessels), but then you also have rule 10a which obliges you (as a <20m boat) not to impede the freighter. I've spent a significant chunk of my life and career reading law and other heavy documents and I just cannot reconcile the contradiction between 10a/15 on the one hand and 10j on the other hand. Under 10a/15 you were right; under the 10j the freighter was right. These Colregs need a proper re-write.

Anyway, colreggery aside, C32 is a classic of a boat and best wishes with her.

benjenbav

Visit site
Many congratulations superheat. I wiush you many seasons of fun in the new machine, and yes please post pictures as well as a refit/tlc thread

Your Colregs comment shows yet again the shortcomings in that awful set of rules. Sure, you have rule 10a that says normal rules apply in TSS lanes including rule 15 (crossing vessels), but then you also have rule 10a which obliges you (as a <20m boat) not to impede the freighter. I've spent a significant chunk of my life and career reading law and other heavy documents and I just cannot reconcile the contradiction between 10a/15 on the one hand and 10j on the other hand. Under 10a/15 you were right; under the 10j the freighter was right. These Colregs need a proper re-write.

Anyway, colreggery aside, C32 is a classic of a boat and best wishes with her.

Without really wanting to swap colregs warstories when I could be looking at pix of a beautiful Corvette 32, and I absolutely agree regarding 10a vs 10j, but I think the OP mite have gone east of the TSS off Casquets (St Helier to Solent) owing to 10c unless, of course, taking the scenic route. :D

jfm

Visit site
Ah yes indeed, maybe superheat didn't even cross the TSS at all, in which case the 10a/j conflict doesn't matter (though it still exists).

I'm interested to see that you as a lawyer cannot see a way to resolve the a/j conflict. Is it possible that you can be required to "not impede" yet still be the stand-on guy, so the other guy has to give way to you? Colregs is a properly crummy document in my view

benjenbav

Visit site
Ah yes indeed, maybe superheat didn't even cross the TSS at all, in which case the 10a/j conflict doesn't matter (though it still exists).

I'm interested to see that you as a lawyer cannot see a way to resolve the a/j conflict. Is it possible that you can be required to "not impede" yet still be the stand-on guy, so the other guy has to give way to you? Colregs is a properly crummy document in my view
Sad to say I re-read it this afternoon in the hope of finding a relevant interpretation provision: even along the lines of: "...in the event of a conflict the higher-numbered clause prevails" ...:D

jfm

Visit site
The draftsman knew how to create hierarchy - see 13a and the first line of 18 - he just forgot to apply that knowledge often enough.

The drafting clumsiness is evident in many places though. See 13b - he writes a deeming providion when what he should have written is a definition. I cannot think of any case where not coming from the 22.5degree sector is overtaking or generally understood by seaman to be, so this should not have been a deeming provision. The deeming would only be appropriate where there is another definition of overtaking elsewhere in the Colregs, which there isn't

And don't you love 13c? The "not sure" guy is compelled to assume something that might not actually be happening. What about everyone else? If they have better nav equipment so that they are in no doubt about what is actually happening, they are neither compelled nor permitted to make the same assumption, and they cannot know that the other guy is compelled to assume. So now we have two potential colliders potentially operating on different premises as to what is going on. Bloomin marvellous! The whole thing is riddled with poor thinking