Colregs, big mobo/small sailboat, on Hamble and similar

Never Grumble

Visit site
I thought I’d made it absolutely clear in my original post it wasn’t a ferry, but a smallish bulk carrier, heading east, not a ferry heading cross Solent. The ferries in the west do 8-9kn, are considerate to yachts, and we try in return to keep clear of their critical points, like docking at Yarmouth.
I must admit to never having had an issue with the ferries either. I generally try to maintain my course so as not to cause any confusion or cut in front when they are coming down through routes like the Swashway.

winch2

Visit site
I was only reacting to someone going on about ferries, anyway. So, the bulk carrier which incidentally is never the give way craft.
Ships do not "steam thru crowds of yachts" They have a set course determined by the tide state and traffic flow. and as Ive said already it is up to we yacht types to know/judge all this and stay outta their way, However thats easy for me to say as Ive been sailing the Solent for ever and yes you get a feel for it, but a feel for it one must have.

As for ferries being "considerate to yachts".? That is never a risk I have any interest in taking.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
I was only reacting to someone going on about ferries, anyway. So, the bulk carrier which incidentally is never the give way craft.
Ships do not "steam thru crowds of yachts" They have a set course determined by the tide state and traffic flow. and as Ive said already it is up to we yacht types to know/judge all this and stay outta their way, ….
Rubbish.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
A 200ft ship in a channel a mile wide and 20m of water, where that channel has upwards of 100 unpowered craft in it, has no business doing 15knots and expecting everyone to keep clear. They are not the stand on vessel by any means, but are usually given the consideration due to commercial traffic. It’s give and take though, they need to give us all the time to keep clear. It’s unusual to see them in the western solent, not something you’d anticipate like you should in the deep water channel to Southampton.

Linksfahrer

Visit site
Thankfully I sail out of Plymouth where FLAG / KHM and the Police launches control movement of all , >20mtr , sail races , diving and Princess yacht testing requests, Navy crew transfer, Tugs withs Subs all these movements are approved , even the chain ferry is controlled the Navy have priority. Our biggest fly in ointment is the cross channel ferry as they have a habit of arriving at 20knts and don’t like being told to wait for other shipping. But that’s a French problem not a language barrier.
Reading half of the Colreg discussion above I can’t help thinking that a great many people seem to be drilling down deeper than the opening post needed an answer. If you can remember port out and starboard home and always turn to starboard if a vessel ahead is endangering then the worst will always be avoided. To the clubs racing I would suggest that all races courses are planned and races conducted with appropriate safety boats / VHF and that if /when youngsters are given some guidance before they are let loose then threats are reduced. That’s how it is done on the Tamar . The rest of sailing community should be able to slacken sheets, round up or otherwise start an engine and move round the river in an orderly manner with good cheer and good seamanship.

Ralph ( Wolke HR352 )

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
A 200ft ship in a channel a mile wide and 20m of water, where that channel has upwards of 100 unpowered craft in it, has no business doing 15knots and expecting everyone to keep clear. They are not the stand on vessel by any means, but are usually given the consideration due to commercial traffic. It’s give and take though, they need to give us all the time to keep clear. It’s unusual to see them in the western solent, not something you’d anticipate like you should in the deep water channel to Southampton.
Exactly.

So are you categorically saying that a big ship has to steer around a tiddly little yacht?
Yes when they’re the give way vessel and a risk of collision exists. That’s the whole point.

winch2

Visit site
Exactly.

Yes when they’re the give way vessel and a risk of collision exists. That’s the whole point
Two points and I'll make them quick cause frankly I cannot beleive what Im reading. Be interesting to hear a pilot chime in actually, anyway.
a, 15 knts is likely to be his minimum manouvering speed without tugs, any slower and he will loose steerage/way and become a floating, out of control blundering deadweight with someones name on it.
b, How come you didnt make the right judgement when he was but a spec on the horizon? And this is what Ive been twittering on about above. When I'm out there Im constantly scanning the middle to far distance for things that are bigger than me and if a biggun comes into view I wind up the grey matter. Anyway thats how Ive always done it, clearly the current way is not do it like that and to some degree let nature take its course. Extraordinary.

finestgreen

Visit site
b, How come you didnt make the right judgement when he was but a spec on the horizon? And this is what Ive been twittering on about above. When I'm out there Im constantly scanning the middle to far distance for things that are bigger than me and if a biggun comes into view I wind up the grey matter. Anyway thats how Ive always done it, clearly the current way is not do it like that and to some degree let nature take its course. Extraordinary.
Makes you wonder why they wasted so much time writing the colregs when everyone could just simply not get into a situation where there's a risk of collision.