Coll Regs Advice

Rustyknight

Visit site
Not wishing to be mean and nasty, but from your Bio you've had your own boat for 5 years.

Seems a strange question to ask after so long. Can I ask why you asked it?

landaftaf

Visit site
out of order on this question ........ /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif and probably why some ppl dont want to post personal details - /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

machurley22

Visit site
Sounds just like the situation I describe here except that we (the goose-winged vessel) were on starboard rather than port but were still the give-way boat being also to windward.

stephenmartin

Visit site
sorry folks...stand on is stand on...weather power or sail it makes no difference...if you can see his port side/lights then you must give way.....power yielding to sail no longer good enough...just don't play chicken with any boats.....

Richard10002

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
out of order on this question ........ /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif and probably why some ppl dont want to post personal details - /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is it out of order? ... I would also be interested in why it was asked, (not because of the 5 years experience, but just out of interest).

Richard10002

Visit site
In fact, it is entirely possible that David was the stand on vessel, and the other vessel failed to give way, at the same time accusing David of being in the wrong.

If that happened to me, I would probably want to question my sanity, even with 30+ years experience, and a 2nd mates ticket.

Rustyknight

Visit site
Sorry to disagree, as it really is a straight forward situation in regards to the Col-regs., and anyone who takes command of a boat on waters subject to the IRCC should know the answer........ and know the appropriate action to take.

Now, one could suppose that the original poster doesn't take command of the boat he owns..... and from there further muse that he hasn't the knowledge (as yet) to do so....... which might lead to the question of why the question was asked being answered.

However.......

alex_rogers

Visit site
I'm not sure which version of the colregs you are using, but mine still says that a 'power driven vessel underway shall keep out of the way of a sailing vessel'.

graham

Visit site
One (not the only)exception to that is a sailing vessel will have to keep clear when overtaking a power driven vessel .Probably occuring more often these days with faster yachts and mobos slowing down to save expensive fuel.

Malcb

www.virgo-owners.org
In your example, without trying to add additional possibilities, the vessel on Starboard Tack is the stand on vessel. However, if the other vessel does not concede then it wouldl be up to the starboard tack vessel to concede to avoid a collision. Provided, of course that they have been keeping a good lookout.

graham

Visit site
personally I wouldnt ask a colregs question on here because how do you decide which answer is correct ?The best bet is to buy the seamans guide and look it up yourself.

Having said that I dont believe its right to jump down someones throat for asking a question. I dont know the colregs chapter and verse do you?

l'escargot

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
.....without trying to add additional possibilities.....

[/ QUOTE ]
Why did you have to ruin it by putting that in! It always ends up with a better argument when people put their own bits in and pay no attention at all to the circumstances in the original post.

No one could have got in power giving way to sail if they played by your rules! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

davidpbo

Boatless in Cheshire. Formerly 23ft Jeanneau Tonic
myweb.tiscali.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
Seems a strange question to ask after so long. Can I ask why you asked it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I asked the question for clarification because I had a problem.
Although I have been sailing for 5 years I still don't regard myself as that experienced a sailor and have never sailed on the sea but do do a lot of lake sailing in close proximity to others.

I did do a RYA keelboat course before I got the boat but have not taken any further courses other than for DSC/VHF.

The problem I had was with a boat which was part of a class fleet which was racing, strung out over 300m or so, sometimes 2 or 3 abreast.

Mine was the boat which on starboard tack and I was of the opinion that I was the stand on vessel. I consider it extremely unlikely that the people sailing the boat were inexperienced and unaware of the coll regs, neither is it likely that they did not see me.

Their boom nearly got caught in my backstay and I was towing a dinghy on a short painter. Afterwards it occured to me that maybe, as the other boat was on my starboard bow I should have given way

My usual policy is to respect people's right to enjoy racing and keep out of the way of racing fleets and indeed any other boat with a wider berth being given to those whom I think may be inexperienced, lacking in knowledge or not paying attention.

Hindsight says I probably should have tacked early to avoid the whole fleet and gone around the back of them as I usually do.

If I have got it wrong I want to offer an appology to the other boat.

David

alex_rogers

Visit site
I know, but I was responding to the point -

'...if you can see his port side/lights then you must give way.....power yielding to sail no longer good enough...'

Clearly this isn't refering to an overtaking boat. If you are sailing and you can see the port side/lights of a motor vessel, then you are the stand on vessel. In this situation 'power yielding to sail' is clearly still good enough.

BrendanS

Visit site
In which case. you have explained sufficiently. They were racing, so you have moral rights here to complain about the gits, and to complain to which ever body they were racing under.

Mike21

Visit site
Will agree "Power gives way to sail" unless you're motorsailing in the Solent/ Poole area then you ignore colregs and give way to no-one /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rustyknight

Visit site
If you read my original reply, you might find I didn't "jump down someones throat" as you put it.......... merely enquired as to what prompted the question.

Was it a real situation, did the boats actually bump (as the title of the thread might appear to suggest), was the poster involved, which boat was he on, what did he do, what did the other boat do... etc etc.

I'd be the first to admit I can't quote chapter and verse on the col-regs, but no doubt like most boaters, I assume (and take into account the fact that I could be wrong) that other "skippers" at least have a working knowledge of the ones that says who stands on, who gives way, and what to do if no action is taken.

No doubt it would be more fun if everyone made their own rules up as they went along, but.........