Buying a boat in Lanzarote

Booyakajon

Visit site
Morning All,

I’m a noob to this forum but have found it very informative so far!

As the thread title says, I’m looking to buy a 10m mobo in Lanzarote. It is Spanish registered at the moment and I gather there would be a 4% tax to change the registration to a new owner. I am UK resident and wouldn’t be spending more than 180 days in Lanzarote a year (sadly!)

From what I have gleaned from the forums, it looks as though the best course of action would be SSR part 3 registration. I understand that the current owner would need to de-list the boat from the Spanish register and I would need the ownership documents and an insurance certificate to register with the SSR.

I’ve a few questions about this process if you don’t mind:
First of all is this correct?
Does the insurance company need to be UK based?
Would there be any downside to registering with the SSR in this situation as opposed to changing the Spanish registration and just paying the tax?
Can you change the name of the boat when re-registering?

Thanks in advance

Jon

Tranona

Visit site
Welcome

You are correct. The SSR is a simple low cost way of registering a private yacht as a British ship. It is supposed to be for UK residents who keep their boat in the UK but may wish to take it outside UK waters, but there is no requirement to declare where the boat is located so if you meet the residence requirement you are OK. You can choose whatever name you want for the boat. no downsides compared with Spanish registration but many "upsides" as Spanish registration would require you to obtain Spanish qualifications and comply with their regulations on how and where you use the boat plus a regular survey to renew. It would be wise however to obtain a certificate of competence (ICC) which is issued by the RYA,

You can insure the boat with a UK insurer, but you may not find it easy if you are a new boat owner.

V1701

Visit site
To add I don't think you need any particular documentation to register your boat with the SSR. When I had a boat in Greece it was easier to use a local insurer but they did come recommended to me by somebody already there rather than me randomly trying to find a Greek insurer. You'll meet plenty of people in Lanzarote, I'd imagine somebody would be able to recommend you a local insurer if you need or want one...

Gibeltarik

Visit site
Welcome

You are correct. The SSR is a simple low cost way of registering a private yacht as a British ship. It is supposed to be for UK residents who keep their boat in the UK but may wish to take it outside UK waters, but there is no requirement to declare where the boat is located so if you meet the residence requirement you are OK. You can choose whatever name you want for the boat. no downsides compared with Spanish registration but many "upsides" as Spanish registration would require you to obtain Spanish qualifications and comply with their regulations on how and where you use the boat plus a regular survey to renew. It would be wise however to obtain a certificate of competence (ICC) which is issued by the RYA,

You can insure the boat with a UK insurer, but you may not find it easy if you are a new boat owner.
Just to add to Tranona's excellent reply the MCA website has recently been updated
HERE

Bill of Sale required but not insurance.