Brightlingsea Harbour first class service.

Leighb

Visit site
We have come down to Brightlingsea for our first proper trip of the season. We decided to try the Marina this time for various reasons. Just want to say that the HarbourMaster team were, as on previous occasions, outstandingly helpful. They directed us into the berth, which they changed at the last minute so it would be easier for us to turn into and then moored us up without either of us having to get off the boat. Fantastic service which we have not received in many places, Tidemill being another where we have been mt and helped on arrival.

johnalison

Visit site
Perhaps they were bored and had nothing better to do? :) Anyway, I'm glad things are good there, but I've never gone 'in'. On the whole, I get nervous when harbour staff want to help since I have had experience of my lines being pulled in odd directions, but sometimes it is welcome.

pvb

Visit site
We have come down to Brightlingsea for our first proper trip of the season. We decided to try the Marina this time for various reasons. Just want to say that the HarbourMaster team were, as on previous occasions, outstandingly helpful. They directed us into the berth, which they changed at the last minute so it would be easier for us to turn into and then moored us up without either of us having to get off the boat. Fantastic service which we have not received in many places, Tidemill being another where we have been mt and helped on arrival.

How was the depth? Last time I looked, a few years ago, having visited by road, it was a sea of mud. And the surrounding "luxury flats" seemed to be mainly occupied by benefits claimants. It was a very grim place then.

Leighb

Visit site
The cill is at 1.0 above CD. The marina is dredged to 2.0 metres I am told. It all looks very clean and tidy, there are new showers and toilets, although we have not sampled them. There is an attractive bar/restaurant in the development.

johnalison

Visit site
A local notable lives there and I'm dead sure he doesn't claim benefits. Another friend calls the place 'Travelodge' because that's what it looks like inside. Actually, the flat's quite nice and has a fine view, but it's some years since I went in. The car park flooded on a high tide a few years ago and all but one car were removed, it being assumed to be there without authority.

Leighb

Visit site
A local notable lives there and I'm dead sure he doesn't claim benefits. Another friend calls the place 'Travelodge' because that's what it looks like inside. Actually, the flat's quite nice and has a fine view, but it's some years since I went in. The car park flooded on a high tide a few years ago and all but one car were removed, it being assumed to be there without authority.
I heard, but it may have been apocryphal, that it was a Ferrari!

Plum

Visit site
Agree, I have always had good service from the harbour whether using the marina, the pontoons in the creek or the watertaxi service. I have not used the new showers yet.

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Cantata

Visit site
We've used the marina several times now, makes financial sense if you want to go ashore more than a couple of times and don't want to use a dinghy. No problem with depth these days. If you end up far inside the marina you do feel a bit hemmed in but if you're near the outside edge it's OK.

Leighb

Visit site
The cill is at 1.0 above CD. The marina is dredged to 2.0 metres I am told. It all looks very clean and tidy, there are new showers and toilets, although we have not sampled them. There is an attractive bar/restaurant in the development.
It is just about LW now, I have just revived my Chartplotter - see thread on PBO - and it showed 0.0 or 0.1 under the keel. We draw 0.9, I have just measured the depth using a weighted string and that was 1.1 metres, we are on an outside berth. Our Halmatic would definitely have been aground. The cill still has a few cms of water over it so it can go lower.

Plum

Visit site
It is just about LW now, I have just revived my Chartplotter - see thread on PBO - and it showed 0.0 or 0.1 under the keel. We draw 0.9, I have just measured the depth using a weighted string and that was 1.1 metres, we are on an outside berth. Our Halmatic would definitely have been aground. The cill still has a few cms of water over it so it can go lower.
I measured the cill as 1.1m above CD

Edit: to be clear, I am referring to the marina cill.

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Last edited:

alandalus11

Visit site
I have just measured the depth using a weighted string and that was 1.1 metres, we are on an outside berth.
I was thinking about the marina but it sounds like the 2 meters they claim to dredge it to is not true if your saying it was 1.1 meters. May have to rethink this. We went to Tollesbury last year and were told there was plenty of water in the marina only to find out we were on the mud.

Leighb

Visit site
I was thinking about the marina but it sounds like the 2 meters they claim to dredge it to is not true if your saying it was 1.1 meters. May have to rethink this. We went to Tollesbury last year and were told there was plenty of water in the marina only to find out we were on the mud.
It may be that it is shallower at the edges, we are close to the outer marina wall further in may be deeper?

Tomahawk

Visit site
The harbour staff are very friendly and helpful..
I have seen them help someone by pushing them onto the berth with the launch.

Of course I am not biassed as I am not a berth holder...

Denek

Visit site
We were there three weeks back. First time and I have to say the harbor staff were fantastic, helpful and friendly.
we stayed on one of the river pontoons can’t wait to go back again.

tidclacy

Visit site
Visited Brightlingsea recently by car to take my outboard for a fix to Boat Park and Ride, could not have been more helpful.
Always found this town to be friendly and people go out of there way to assist you.