Bought a Never splashed Colvic Countess 33 on eBay, Looking for infos

richardabeattie

Visit site
Re: SV Oddity, Interiors & Materials

I think this thread is getting silly. There's probably a lot of good stuff in it but I don't want to read through 142 pages to find it. It seems to have become a forum within the forum.

Sorry that my post has tripped over into page 143!

pvb

Visit site

I think this thread is getting silly. There's probably a lot of good stuff in it but I don't want to read through 142 pages to find it. It seems to have become a forum within the forum.

If you go into your Settings, and change the Thread Display to 100 posts per page, you'll find this is only page 15.

lpdsn

Visit site

If this was Sailing Anarchy there would be 14,000 posts by now and it'd have got even sillier.

GregOddity

Mermaid hunting in Antartica. No luck so far.
Visit site

If this was Sailing Anarchy there would be 14,000 posts by now and it'd have got even sillier.

Well it just went silly +er x100. Apparently our project went to Most Viral and Staff Pick of Imgur. Had to switch off all notifications of my phone. I did say we had a thread here and advertised the Practical Boat Owner and Forum. I did not expect the post to go viral. Posted a few pics for a few friends in a USA forum. Haaa well the more the merrier. :p

GregOddity

Visit site

Nothing to apologise for. Hard to control with so many differing points of view, I guess. I am nevertheless a firm believer in freedom of speech and find it hard to even moan when the thread gets trolled. It is perhaps a consequence of the times we live in, where so many are simply talking past each other. I do hope you find some of our good stuff enjoyable.

ghostlymoron

Visit site
Only another forty three pages and this thread will be longer than the Elizmor one:)
Yes, I can't believe it's still running. At the start I thought the idea was it would all be fitted out at negligible cost by September 2018 at the latest. To get any valuable input, I'd have thought it best to start anew with a more specific title. The current thread is just a blog.

GregOddity

Visit site

OK but if the good stuff was on a new thread with a title which indicated the subject matter it would be easier to find.

Not in here it would not. The same people would profess the same views and react in the same manner. It would just fill the forum with parasitical threads running 20 pages long drifting everywhere but the subject at hand. I did that already and that is pretty much how it went. There are some people that are adamant in staying in the past and somehow prove to everyone they are the “sacred cow” of Forum truth. We have a few other builds also following this thread and a few other forums as well. We have been asked by far too many people to keep it running so they can follow. Yes, it is sad that some seem intent on trashing it. But impossible to prevent. You just have to roll with the punches and duck the odd flying chair or empty beer bottle.
I’ve had a good number of people apologizing, for the behaviour of a few. In fact, almost every time we meet a fellow forumite it starts like that. Some comments on YouTube as well about the qualities of some of the so called “experts” for lack of a better word. Imgur where our project is still in the most viral category with over 100k views got us an avalanche of people complaining about some of the attitudes of a few here that seem to think they own the Forum.
But it is Free Speech and everyone has the right to speak their mind. We should treasure that. We must tolerate even the ones that fail at tolerance or are too full of themselves to hear anything but their own voice.
Your point is exactly why they do it. So that people like you find it difficult to find the good stuff buried under pages of drivel.

moomba

N/A
Visit site

Not in here it would not. The same people would profess the same views and react in the same manner. It would just fill the forum with parasitical threads running 20 pages long drifting everywhere but the subject at hand. I did that already and that is pretty much how it went. There are some people that are adamant in staying in the past and somehow prove to everyone they are the “sacred cow” of Forum truth. We have a few other builds also following this thread and a few other forums as well. We have been asked by far too many people to keep it running so they can follow. Yes, it is sad that some seem intent on trashing it. But impossible to prevent. You just have to roll with the punches and duck the odd flying chair or empty beer bottle.
I’ve had a good number of people apologizing, for the behaviour of a few. In fact, almost every time we meet a fellow forumite it starts like that. Some comments on YouTube as well about the qualities of some of the so called “experts” for lack of a better word. Imgur where our project is still in the most viral category with over 100k views got us an avalanche of people complaining about some of the attitudes of a few here that seem to think they own the Forum.
But it is Free Speech and everyone has the right to speak their mind. We should treasure that. We must tolerate even the ones that fail at tolerance or are too full of themselves to hear anything but their own voice.
Your point is exactly why they do it. So that people like you find it difficult to find the good stuff buried under pages of drivel.

Just adding t this thread , well said a very important point , freedom of Speech if you dont like reading , then dont , never understood people that have an opinion of everything and we all need to hear it
Anyways good luck and keep posting , you attitude will win hearts and minds:eek:

Spyro

Visit site

I think you are a lot to blame for that. You were adamant you were going to have this project finished in 6 months with new high tec materials on budget, etc etc. The people you seem to have a problem with are the ones who said you wouldn't do it and they seem to have been proved right. All this other stuff about getting another boat to learn on is just a smoke screen. You couldn't even replace a forestay without it failing what hope for the rest of the build? I've enjoyed following this thread and don't mind if it goes on and on, it must be a bit of a chore for some if they haven't followed from the start and have to start at post 1. I wished you luck with it sometime ago but I'm afraid I just don't see it happening.

GregOddity

Visit site

I think you are a lot to blame for that. You were adamant you were going to have this project finished in 6 months with new high tec materials on budget, etc etc. The people you seem to have a problem with are the ones who said you wouldn't do it and they seem to have been proved right. All this other stuff about getting another boat to learn on is just a smoke screen. You couldn't even replace a forestay without it failing what hope for the rest of the build? I've enjoyed following this thread and don't mind if it goes on and on, it must be a bit of a chore for some if they haven't followed from the start and have to start at post 1. I wished you luck with it sometime ago but I'm afraid I just don't see it happening.

I do call myself out on it. I should not have engaged with anything that was not directly related to what we are actually doing. But for instance, I just got a text from a fellow forumite to tell me about the “changing the forestay” in your post. It is written in the thread, and still there for all to see how that broke. Somehow in your opinion that was read in an alternative way. I broke the forestay out of stupidity on my part, furling the Genoa and letting the halyard wrap itself around the forestay. The previous owners changed the furler without care for how it met the halyard. But in your opinion, I am not capable of changing a forestay. How you arrive at that conclusion is something that defeats me. It’s an extremely derogatory comment to make as you imply, based on YOUR judgement of facts you wrongly read / interpreted and assumed.
Now you know that I have no problems with that. Could be simply a moment of weakness on your part while you were watching Eastenders and reading the thread. But on the other hand a good example how many don’t even read or care what is actually written by someone other them themselves. Detracts from what the subject is and creates unnecessary you said I said moments that lead nowhere.
There is a lot of forum members that come to us and tell us they barely post exactly because of “that”. They could simply not be bothered with too opinionated people. Make a poll, ask around.
As to our “smoke screens” we don’t even post here a tenth of what we do… exactly because of that.
Instead of benefiting others and allowing some to see things we do in our Professional activities we choose not to bother as Phil does not have the patience to post and fence for a week and we’re slowly too busy with other things to bother.
Another imprecision on what you said is that I never mentioned 6 months. It’s written on the thread. I said 4 ! But Context again. No one was interested in knowing how do I propose to do that. In that light not ONE ever asked exactly what the plan was. It was more important to show the “expertise” and prove it wrong no matter what. I did enjoy it and provided many a laugh on our side I must admit. I’m afraid I’m still right and you’re wrong. I still say 4 months! but at this stage I just don’t care to explain our reasoning and plans! But rest assured I WILL be making my point known when the time comes. ( hehe ) :cool:

We are good, but please no drift. It is about a Countess 33 and not what you guys think or had for breakfast. ( i had an Orange, i'm on a diet :nonchalance: )

I will keep posting updates.

GregOddity

Visit site

Considering this Python Drive P60-K to deal with vibration and resonance plus solving the alignment of the shaft /motor for good. Has anyone something like this fitted? I guess my alignment experiences come from wooden boats that kind of demanded periodic alignment. I’m guessing GRP boats to be much more reliable in that sense but no idea. We’re also trying to make her as silent as possible.

Any thoughts?

https://www.drinkwaard.com/en/python-drive/

USkAN2w.jpg

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
Oh good, back to sensible stuff.

GRP hulls in general are no less likely to suffer alignment variation than wood. Being thicker than average, yours isn't going to be as bad as some, although that will depend on how well you incorporate the cockpit floor into the box girder traditionally used.

That coupling is a very refined example of conventional marine thinking. Personally I'd be looking at taking one of the half shafts Tesla developed for the Model 3, and possibly replacing the steel rod with carbon. That would give greater articulation with less rotating mass.

Last edited:

earlybird

Visit site

Considering this Python Drive P60-K to deal with vibration and resonance plus solving the alignment of the shaft /motor for good. Has anyone something like this fitted? I guess my alignment experiences come from wooden boats that kind of demanded periodic alignment. I’m guessing GRP boats to be much more reliable in that sense but no idea. We’re also trying to make her as silent as possible.

Any thoughts?

USkAN2w.jpg

I fitted a similar Aquadrive to a previous boat, in conjunction with a 2 cylinder Yanmar. The reduction in noise and vibration transmitted to the hull was very considerable. With a later boat fitted with a 3 cylinder engine, I didn't see the need. So, from the vibration POV, it all depends.
It's still best to do a good job on the initial alighment however, but perhaps not quite so critical.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site

I fitted a similar Aquadrive to a previous boat, in conjunction with a 2 cylinder Yanmar. The reduction in noise and vibration transmitted to the hull was very considerable. With a later boat fitted with a 3 cylinder engine, I didn't see the need. So, from the vibration POV, it all depends.
It's still best to do a good job on the initial alighment however, but perhaps not quite so critical.

That's the one, Halyard Aquadrive, I was struggling to remember the name of it and couldn't be arsed to look it up but I fitted one when I re-engined my old Vancouver 34 with a Yanmar 3 cylinder it was fine reduced vibration and associated noise to a level that was imperceptible and made alignment less critical.:encouragement:

Steve_N

Visit site

Any thoughts?

USkAN2w.jpg

Fitted an Aquadrive CVB10.10 to our Countess 37 16 years ago now. It was a long job working below the base of a cupboard in the aft cabin, but worth it. Picture before the top plate was bolted into place.
It runs at the maximum allowed mis-alignment to correct for a poorly-aligned stern tube and has done so without complaint all these years. One of the best bits of kit on the boat.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 1

pvb

Visit site

Any thoughts?

What's going to be connected to your drive shaft? Will it just be the electric motor? Or will the engine also be connected to the drive shaft, with the electric motor in between? If it's just the electric motor, vibration may not be much of an issue.