Bought a Never splashed Colvic Countess 33 on eBay, Looking for infos

GregOddity

Mermaid hunting in Antartica. No luck so far.
Visit site
Re: SV Oddity, Interiors & Materials

Oh good, back to sensible stuff.

GRP hulls in general are no less likely to suffer alignment variation than wood. Being thicker than average, yours isn't going to be as bad as some, although that will depend on how well you incorporate the cockpit floor into the box girder traditionally used.

That coupling is a very refined example of conventional marine thinking. Personally I'd be looking at taking one of the half shafts Tesla developed for the Model 3, and possibly replacing the steel rod with carbon. That would give greater articulation with less rotating mass.

I 'm expecting that the thickness of the hull is the saving grace on that. But like I said before it's my first GRP boat so still a lot to learn. The Tesla or Hybrid cars have beautiful salvage parts that I would very much like to get my hands on. Problem is finding one. It's virtually impossible, like gold dust. Same with most electric cars. Way too many goodies.

I fitted a similar Aquadrive to a previous boat, in conjunction with a 2 cylinder Yanmar. The reduction in noise and vibration transmitted to the hull was very considerable. With a later boat fitted with a 3 cylinder engine, I didn't see the need. So, from the vibration POV, it all depends.
It's still best to do a good job on the initial alighment however, but perhaps not quite so critical.

I was on a boat that had an Aquadrive and was reengined, then no Aquadrive. The noise and vibrations were quite noticeable and the owner was cursing most of the time that he decided to go along with not replacing the unit. His was not in the best condition from what I gathered and the new engine was of different dimensions. I was surprised at the difference in noise alone let alone with some resonance. He was told the new engine was yada yada “efficient and modern and no need for that”. That’s how he explained it to me.
I, of course, did not know any of this when I stepped on board the second time and unwittingly salted his wound, by asking if there was something wrong with the new engine, as soon as I put it in reverse and the boat vibrated and groaned.

That's the one, Halyard Aquadrive, I was struggling to remember the name of it and couldn't be arsed to look it up but I fitted one when I re-engined my old Vancouver 34 with a Yanmar 3 cylinder it was fine reduced vibration and associated noise to a level that was imperceptible and made alignment less critical.:encouragement:

I'm kind of partial on not having alignment at or near critical and reducing noise. There's always 1 mm that disappears somewhere and you always end up spending a nice amount of time getting the alignment right. Good on you. Thinking of going the same way exactly for that.

GregOddity

Visit site

Fitted an Aquadrive CVB10.10 to our Countess 37 16 years ago now. It was a long job working below the base of a cupboard in the aft cabin, but worth it. Picture before the top plate was bolted into place.
It runs at the maximum allowed mis-alignment to correct for a poorly-aligned stern tube and has done so without complaint all these years. One of the best bits of kit on the boat.

Looks pretty sorted from that pic. One of the arguments for it is that should you need to remove the engine for an overall outside the boat putting it back in is a non-issue as compared to not having one and probably ending up paying someone to realign the all thing as I have seen a few times. Or at least that’s what’s on my wish list. Pretty neat set up thought congrats. 16 years is a good time for it.

GregOddity

Visit site

What's going to be connected to your drive shaft? Will it just be the electric motor? Or will the engine also be connected to the drive shaft, with the electric motor in between? If it's just the electric motor, vibration may not be much of an issue.

Both the electric and diesel are connected to the shaft or you have the option of decoupling them on demand. It has a few advantages as a system but also a few draw backs and misalignment can be one resonance the other.

seaangler23

Visit site

I have a home made aqua drive, made from parts of a ford Granada 3l so I’m told by the previous owner, had a look over it and it’s fine, he changed the bearing (wheel bearing) once and it’s been perfect otherwise in 20yrs and 1500 engine hours

Spyro

Visit site

That one will be done in April, when we're planning to have them out and installing a new one on the stern. She's looking forward to doing it. But I'm going to install a larger hatch on the back as the one in there is too small to be used as an escape hatch. Access to the stern cabin is by a narrow corridor.
The windows should be ready soon at least/ :rolleyes:

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Not sure that would work.
Mads is about standards, quality and getting jobs done oh and glorious sanding. Ideas not so much.

You have to admire his work ethic and input as well as the quality but it has just gone to far, he will have effectively gutted the boat and in the process of doing so added a few hundred kilos of additional weight, thank god he isn't costing his hours. I am sure if he put those hours into productive IT freelancing he could buy a ready made better boat.
However as he says part of it is in the journey, he will never recoup a fraction of the cost he has ploughed into it though.

NormanB

Visit site
What extra weight has he added, please?

It is a good question or a good point.

He has added weight with his deck repairs, Hull osmosis treatment (additional fibreglass), new fuel tank and is about to do significant fibreglass reinforcement of stringers in the centre line portion of the hull.

I do not believe that adds up to ‘hundreds of kilos’ but it would be interesting to know?