Bought a Never splashed Colvic Countess 33 on eBay, Looking for infos

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
It is a good question or a good point.

He has added weight with his deck repairs, Hull osmosis treatment (additional fibreglass), new fuel tank and is about to do significant fibreglass reinforcement of stringers in the centre line portion of the hull.

I do not believe that adds up to ‘hundreds of kilos’ but it would be interesting to know?

Listen to his latest video where he calculates the cloth and resin for the stringer reinforcement, the go back to the hull glassing, he has added a considerable amount of additional glass and resin.

doug748

Visit site
You have to admire his work ethic and input as well as the quality but it has just gone to far,............

Yes, I used to watch his stuff but have stopped. The tipping point for me was when he had the whole steering linkage remade in stainless steel, the old stuff was fine.
He passed the point of doing a good job and seemed to be acting out some form of obsessive disorder.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
Listen to his latest video where he calculates the cloth and resin for the stringer reinforcement, the go back to the hull glassing, he has added a considerable amount of additional glass and resin.
I've seen snippets of the Saillife videos, but I don't really have time to delve into them - I hardly watch any TV or videos, but get my information and entertainment mostly by reading newspapers and forums. Reading seems to impart information faster - I get distracted by memes, but I don't have to sit through "welcome to my YouTube video, and this week we'll be…"

I concur with the other comments about him going too far - in fact that was probably my initial impression of him! What's the point in having a boat if you don't sail it?

That he might be beefing up the fibreglass was what I guessed. Thanks. I'm curious to know if anyone thinks that justified?

steveeasy

Visit site
Im getting lost now, Are we talking sail life ?. Ive watched a lot of them and they were great. the thing is though the films are really about creating money, ( I don't think they start of with that objective but successful youtubers who have something unique to offer can do very well) That aside hes doing a great job even though a lot of what he does seams to be over the top. but that's the point, thats what keeps people contributing. Sampson boat company is another prime example. I think its great and watch every one . I suspect the funding through youtube will be huge and it probally needs to be.

As for Greg, surprised hes not been on to update us. Your not second guess what will happen next and im not going to prejudge a good character, rather give him the benefit of doubt in this instance.

Steveeasy

NormanB

Visit site
Im getting lost now, Are we talking sail life ?. Ive watched a lot of them and they were great. the thing is though the films are really about creating money, ( I don't think they start of with that objective but successful youtubers who have something unique to offer can do very well) That aside hes doing a great job even though a lot of what he does seams to be over the top. but that's the point, thats what keeps people contributing. Sampson boat company is another prime example. I think its great and watch every one . I suspect the funding through youtube will be huge and it probally needs to be.

As for Greg, surprised hes not been on to update us. Your not second guess what will happen next and im not going to prejudge a good character, rather give him the benefit of doubt in this instance.

Steveeasy

Small channels make very little money from directly from You Tube/Google and the financial support comes directly from patrons either using Patreon or Paypal.

Large channels are generally about makeup, gaming and the like and have north of 10 million subscribers and they make very decent money ( but Google and You Tube do much better out of it).

Sailing and boat building are minority interests (mostly less than 100K subscribers) and even sailors and boatbuilders don’t watch them on You Tube. The income they receive directly from YT is not worth the bother, expense and labour of producing them. If they make one pound per hour of labour filming and editing they are doing well.

burgundyben

Visit site
Small channels make very little money from directly from You Tube/Google and the financial support comes directly from patrons either using Patreon or Paypal.

Large channels are generally about makeup, gaming and the like and have north of 10 million subscribers and they make very decent money ( but Google and You Tube do much better out of it).

Sailing and boat building are minority interests (mostly less than 100K subscribers) and even sailors and boatbuilders don’t watch them on You Tube. The income they receive directly from YT is not worth the bother, expense and labour of producing them. If they make one pound per hour of labour filming and editing they are doing well.

Most interesting post on this entire thread. Thanks.

Fantasie 19

Visit site

+1 .. only got to see how Dylan has fared to see the truth in that...

steveeasy

Visit site
I stand corrected, small youtubers receive hardly anything from youtube directly. However there are (a loose word) lots of youtubers who use the channel very successfully to gain Patreons that support them in their activities. Sail life is a very good example and very successful. Sampson boat company has gained massive financial support indirectly via youtube. There are many examples of how Youtube can be used in this way.

Without youtube it simply would not be possible to gain patreons, nor would it be worthwhile to subscribers without it.

Steveeasy

Lucky Duck

Visit site
No idea how the boat fit out is going but they were out in their Newbridge thingy plugging the tide just off Ryde yesterday afternoon.

FlyingGoose

Visit site
I stand corrected, small youtubers receive hardly anything from youtube directly. However there are (a loose word) lots of youtubers who use the channel very successfully to gain Patreons that support them in their activities. Sail life is a very good example and very successful. Sampson boat company has gained massive financial support indirectly via youtube. There are many examples of how Youtube can be used in this way.,

Without youtube it simply would not be possible to gain patreons, nor would it be worthwhile to subscribers without it.

Steveeasy

Unless they are telling us their figures from Patreon then you have no idea how much money they make. In context a Utuber sailing channel with around 50k watchers told their audience that they made around $1300 's from Patreon, they were young and cute ;) I gave up on Saillife 2 years ago , I can see an obsseive personallity and throwing away good stuff for me personaly is not an eco friendly way to go about ones trade.
He might be making some money for him to kep his show going but I expect it is not what people imagine , unless you are Vagabonde

steveeasy

Visit site
Unless they are telling us their figures from Patreon then you have no idea how much money they make. In context a Utuber sailing channel with around 50k watchers told their audience that they made around $1300 's from Patreon, they were young and cute ;) I gave up on Saillife 2 years ago , I can see an obsseive personallity and throwing away good stuff for me personaly is not an eco friendly way to go about ones trade.
He might be making some money for him to kep his show going but I expect it is not what people imagine , unless you are Vagabonde

Hi FlyingGoose,
I agree with your views on saillife, there will not be a boat left soon. If you access their Patreon pages, you can view information regarding numbers and average subscriptions. Not all provide information but sail life does. it might not be thousands a month but 1-2 thousand is quite a good return. I still watch saillife, his main market though is the US I believe.

Steveeasy

nathanglasgow

Visit site
Greg please post any progress. I'm one of many that are genuinely interested in the project. Even if it has stalled be good to know. I too have have set deadlines with myself on projects which have ended up taking years instead of months (mostly series land rover restorations). So chin up and report back soon:)

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Greg didn't take kindly to a lot of the harsher criticism and questioning of his ideas, which to be frank were way out of place on the boat he was trying to build / restore / complete So I doubt you are going to hear anything from him, he did post some You Tube stuff, I don't know if he still does.
Personally I think it was a case of silk purse out of a pigs ear but it was his boat, time and money.

It would be interesting to know just how far he hasn't got though.:D

pvb

Visit site
Greg didn't take kindly to a lot of the harsher criticism and questioning of his ideas, which to be frank were way out of place on the boat he was trying to build / restore / complete So I doubt you are going to hear anything from him, he did post some You Tube stuff, I don't know if he still does.
Personally I think it was a case of silk purse out of a pigs ear but it was his boat, time and money.

It would be interesting to know just how far he hasn't got though.:D

I imagine he hasn't got much further in the last 6/9 months. He bought another boat and has been repairing it and sailing it. His YouTube channel and Facebook page is effectively dead. Maybe the Colvic will appear on eBay again one day as an ideal project boat!

steveeasy

Visit site
All that thought apparently gone to waste. The forum should take no criticism at all, it was, in the main open minded and supportive of what was a pipe dream.

Steveeasy