Bought a Never splashed Colvic Countess 33 on eBay, Looking for infos

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Respectfully, the use of the word troll is bloody offensive in this case. I shudder each time the word is used. Does it really matter what Greg and Phil plan to do, how they spend their money and time, and how many boats they have. They are at least having some fun and good for them.

Steveeasy

That's fine but he posts on the pretence of asking for advice or comments then gets a little offended when people with a LOT of experience make unflattering comments and indicate the futility of what he proposes.

GregOddity

Mermaid hunting in Antartica. No luck so far.
Visit site
That's fine but he posts on the pretence of asking for advice or comments then gets a little offended when people with a LOT of experience make unflattering comments and indicate the futility of what he proposes.

we did come here looking for info’s pertinent to what WE want to achieve and are prepared to listen to anyone that has a nugget we can use, however small. That IS the point of the forum.
I respect your experience, I call your attention to the fact I never questioned you. You may even do a lot of things I am not able to, and even so I never questioned you.
The fact that we want to do different things should perhaps be better answered with “sorry I can’t help you there” or “ the only thing I know about that is”
For no matter what experience, you may have, our goals remain ours.
Everyone bites more then he can chew at times, I don’t know, I don’t think we did. Not yet anyway as we are still on course to achieve what we started.
I do not mind sharing my little experience of some things that may or may not be relevant to you. But I thought this forum was about all things boating. Where people (fellow Sailors) helped one another. I did not realize it was a precondition to be judged.
Besides, we’re the ones to decide what we want inside our boat. It is our boat. I never questioned what you have in yours.

stevepick

Visit site
Re: Oddity project status.

Diesel tank to be manufactured in Stainless plate (3mm)

Propeller. no Idea. (yet) Probably not folding as we want power generation. Which we happily trade for a knot.

The Oddity Crew of Lunatics.

Just a few points Greg. 3mm plate for tanks is way over spec, the baffles should give strength. 1.5mm seems industry standard.

Why are you going to take a slow, old, boat and make her even slower with a fixed prop, that you are somehow going to drive generation with? You can make a fast boat go slow, but you cant make a slow boat go fast. There will be plenty days when you will want that knot ( or more ) back. It could be easily 20% (or even 50% on a slow wind day) of your speed, and suddenly ocean passages just became epics.

GregOddity

Visit site

Just a few points Greg. 3mm plate for tanks is way over spec, the baffles should give strength. 1.5mm seems industry standard.

Why are you going to take a slow, old, boat and make her even slower with a fixed prop, that you are somehow going to drive generation with? You can make a fast boat go slow, but you cant make a slow boat go fast. There will be plenty days when you will want that knot ( or more ) back. It could be easily 20% (or even 50% on a slow wind day) of your speed, and suddenly ocean passages just became epics.

I admit that’s a tough one. 1 Knot per hour over time can make a passage into an EPIC sail like you say. We are thinking of regeneration. But one of the possibilities is a smaller prop you can lower In or out instead of a fixed prop.
On the tank. It’s not as much weight a 60kg 1.5 mm becomes 120 kg at 3mm and has some minor advantages over thinner plate. The movement of fuel inside the thinner plate even when well built with stabilizing plates inside, plus vibration on the boat itself tends to cause some cracks on the welds that would not happen at 3mm. Not sure if it’s worth the trouble just for that. It may end up saving 60kg or more and go with the 1.5mm. But I have repaired quite a few.
I do concede the point of the Knot. We’ve been asking quite a few people and everyone seems more inclined on the knot.
I must admit I am also more inclined on the little 1 knot and more solar (better panel perhaps)

We’re a bit at the trade off point right now. Considering one option against another. Appreciate the input.

Last edited:

lpdsn

Visit site

I admit that’s a tough one. 1 Knot per hour over time can make a passage into an EPIC sail like you say. We are thinking of regeneration. But one of the possibilities is a smaller prop you can lower In or out instead of a fixed prop.

To be honest, with prices these days the trade off of complexity, cost & capacity makes solar the favoured way to generate electricity for the domestic systems. Just add more panels (and if necessary controllers) until you get what you want. The days of a couple of very expensive panels that had to be mounted in the optimum position are gone. You could buy a fair few more for the cost of engineering a complex solution such as you have in mind.

And you don't have to sacrifice the One Knot - on a boat like that in light airs it might be the only one you have.

GregOddity

Visit site

It’s very true. I really rather not sacrifice anything on speed on a heavy displacement boat. But I must admit that we're only now trying to merge and see what options we have available and how best to pursue and combine them. I had not sailed in 30 years. A lot has indeed changed. I’m slowly catching up and sometimes feeling like a dinosaur. Efficiency of panels has improved exponentially but I’m only catching up in increments as I go through the options and what is worth the trouble and what is not.
I have a mountain of books around my bed on technical stuff that I seem to know nothing off or need to catch up. There was no GPS when I last sailed. I’m that old lol
I would not even consider thrusters 30 years ago and now you see them everywhere.
It’s not so much that I don’t know the components and how they work, its more like making them fit together for what we want. We’ll get there in the end.. or sink ! (there’s a button and an app for that this days :D )

Kinda frustrating at times. We know what we want but creating it is like trying to cook a fancy meal with the recipe in Cantonese.

lpdsn

Visit site

It’s very true. I really rather not sacrifice anything on speed on a heavy displacement boat. But I must admit that we're only now trying to merge and see what options we have available and how best to pursue and combine them. I had not sailed in 30 years. A lot has indeed changed. I’m slowly catching up and sometimes feeling like a dinosaur. Efficiency of panels has improved exponentially but I’m only catching up in increments as I go through the options and what is worth the trouble and what is not.
I have a mountain of books around my bed on technical stuff that I seem to know nothing off or need to catch up. There was no GPS when I last sailed. I’m that old lol
I would not even consider thrusters 30 years ago and now you see them everywhere.
It’s not so much that I don’t know the components and how they work, its more like making them fit together for what we want. We’ll get there in the end.. or sink ! (there’s a button and an app for that this days :D )

Kinda frustrating at times. We know what we want but creating it is like trying to cook a fancy meal with the recipe in Cantonese.

If it were me I'd sell the hull of the Colvic and sail the second boat you've got, but I know that's not the advice you want.

Meanwhile keep plugging away at the Colvic. I'd say keep it simple. A basic engine with nothing fancy like electronic injection or leading-edge transmission (OK, diesel electric drive has been around for not far short of a century but it's never been that efficient). You may be able to make small improvements with a lot of effort but what you really want from a boat's engine is solid reliability. Something that will run in non-optimum circumstances.

Yes other things have changed in yachting but it's mainly electronics and materials. You can always retrofit the electronics after you've made progress with the build, especially if you design in conduits that are conveniently accessed. In terms of materials the new stuff is mainly in sails, running rigging etc. and you need nothing flash for a cruising boat.

GregOddity

Visit site

If it were me I'd sell the hull of the Colvic and sail the second boat you've got, but I know that's not the advice you want.

Meanwhile keep plugging away at the Colvic. I'd say keep it simple. A basic engine with nothing fancy like electronic injection or leading-edge transmission (OK, diesel electric drive has been around for not far short of a century but it's never been that efficient). You may be able to make small improvements with a lot of effort but what you really want from a boat's engine is solid reliability. Something that will run in non-optimum circumstances.

Yes other things have changed in yachting but it's mainly electronics and materials. You can always retrofit the electronics after you've made progress with the build, especially if you design in conduits that are conveniently accessed. In terms of materials the new stuff is mainly in sails, running rigging etc. and you need nothing flash for a cruising boat.

That’s where we’re heading. We don’t want to progress past the point of comfort with were we are on the build. Plan is, Door, Stringers Bulkheads, Insulation, Technical pipping and conduits for everything, water and fuel tanks & holding tank. Then cabins, heads and Galley. Then we worry.
Kinda feel stupid we did not drop the rudder as we lifted to move. Lesson learned. Now I’m going to have to dig a hole to drop it. Luckily the ground is as hard as reinforced concrete for a bomb proof nuclear bunker. So easy job!
On the Colvic, we may end up selling Selkie but not Oddity. We all like the fact we have a rather thick hull and a weather proof cabin.
We are however sailing little Selkie. Can’t wait to have her back in the water. I hear Cornwall is nice this time of the year.
Yeah with the engine we don’t really want anything fancy. No turbocharged monster. Simple is good. KISS principle. Never goes wrong.

Spyro

Visit site

You'd better ask the yard owner before you start digging holes. It may not be as simple as you think.

GregOddity

Visit site

You'd better ask the yard owner before you start digging holes. It may not be as simple as you think.

There is that... Not sure I will even be allowed to dig. But not a thing I would do without asking neither. They are pretty understanding and I like to keep it that way, It kinda looks like a lift out... and paying off course.

lpdsn

Visit site

Kinda feel stupid we did not drop the rudder as we lifted to move. Lesson learned. Now I’m going to have to dig a hole to drop it. Luckily the ground is as hard as reinforced concrete for a bomb proof nuclear bunker. So easy job!

Do you have to drop the rudder now? Can you not store that job up until you have cause to lift the boat for another reason.

One yard did allow me to dig a hole on the condition that I put all the spoil back afterwards. They even loaned me a pickaxe.

GregOddity

Visit site

Do you have to drop the rudder now? Can you not store that job up until you have cause to lift the boat for another reason.

One yard did allow me to dig a hole on the condition that I put all the spoil back afterwards. They even loaned me a pickaxe.

I tried with my hammer and that ground is rock hard and full of stones and I don’t mean shingle. They may allow me but I'm considering waiting until I have to move it for some reason. I will have to cut a bit into it on the bottom as there is a bit that needs a proper inspection inside. Not a too much trouble kinda of thing but very boring on account of having to come off. silly me. There was someone there that called my attention to it… as the boat was already on the stands.
Just one of those things that slips by and makes “sailing” so much fun
Haa forgot, I also have to repair a factory repair on the half skeg, void area. Drilled into it on Survey.

Dutch01527

Visit site

This thread started out as being entertaining but given the bizarre budget, timescales and technical statements I am now convinced that further responses to posts are counter productive and could be damaging.

Sorry Greg, you seem like a nice guy and I admire a eccentric but this is way beyond any reasonable thinking if it is not a wind up.

GregOddity

Visit site

This thread started out as being entertaining but given the bizarre budget, timescales and technical statements I am now convinced that further responses to posts are counter productive and could be damaging.

Sorry Greg, you seem like a nice guy and I admire a eccentric but this is way beyond any reasonable thinking if it is not a wind up.

Well I hope you at least enjoyed it so far, Fair winds and followying seas. No worries.

GregOddity

Visit site

This is the area that needs the repair so it would be interesting to have it off. You can see the corner close to the rudder. That was a mould defect that was badly corrected, then the drilled area a place they missed altogether.

Lg5hakq.jpg

Iain C

Visit site
Guys, a quick Word.
Although as things go. I have mentioned this before. I “coach” a small group of Teens with Asperger Syndrome. I use this thread a LOT to show them and illustrate how society reacts to any type of behaviour outside what is considered normal. You guys are doing an EXCELENT job at illustrating just that. For that I thank you.

Greg, what you are doing there with the teens is laudable, well done sir. I hope that the thread is useful, and perhaps you may even be able to involve them in a constructive way with Oddity. A friend of mine works for a charity where disadvantaged kids get involved in boatbuilding, racing and teamwork and it makes a real difference to them.

However I have long wondered about the point of the thread, and whilst I am always wondering "if there's a cheaper way" to do stuff, and happy to embrace change and new ideas, I have often wondered why you always seem unwilling to take the advice of people more experienced than either you or me, and why solutions that you pursue are often contradictory to the problems that you were looking to solve. For example, KISS is not hybrid drives and automatic collision avoidance, reliability is not home made water makers and winches and in a blue water boat.

However your explanation above makes the thread, or experiment, make perfect sense now, and I wish you all the best with both the boat project and the teens coaching. I'll probably tune out now, as TBH if I'm going to take the time to contribute to a thread I'll usually do it on the basis that someone is looking for advice on boats rather than being part of a social experiment. People get vocal on here as they were trying to help you do what you set out to achieve, splash the boat this year for £20k and people don't like to see a fellow yachtie fail, waste money, or lose heart because they'd set themselves an unrealistic goal.

Anyway, best of luck, offer of the mooring ropes still stands when you get her moving in the water but you'll obviously need to PM me from now on...100 pages in seems like a good time to stop actively following.

Take care and best of luck!

Last edited:
Visit site

On the tank. It’s not as much weight a 60kg 1.5 mm becomes 120 kg at 3mm and has some minor advantages over thinner plate. The movement of fuel inside the thinner plate even when well built with stabilizing plates inside, plus vibration on the boat itself tends to cause some cracks on the welds that would not happen at 3mm. Not sure if it’s worth the trouble just for that. It may end up saving 60kg or more and go with the 1.5mm. But I have repaired quite a few.
I do concede the point of the Knot. We’ve been asking quite a few people and everyone seems more inclined on the knot.
I must admit I am also more inclined on the little 1 knot and more solar (better panel perhaps)

We’re a bit at the trade off point right now. Considering one option against another. Appreciate the input.

I was with you as a fellow nutter, and and convention defying experimentalist ( always willing to fail) but this bit about fuel tanks is just beyond the pale. It is a 33ft boat, not a destroyer. As I sit here now while Ii write, I am camped at a deep water mooring on the itchen ready to leave early morning in our old tub to tackle as much of the isle of wight as the wind will give us. Sail more in a small boat, like us,,and realise how much easier it would be in a slightly bigger one, even without the hybrid drive etc etc etc. Every heartbeat is nearer to the last one. Get out there now..

GregOddity

Visit site
Greg, what you are doing there with the teens is laudable, well done sir. I hope that the thread is useful, and perhaps you may even be able to involve them in a constructive way with Oddity. A friend of mine works for a charity where disadvantaged kids get involved in boatbuilding, racing and teamwork and it makes a real difference to them.

However I have long wondered about the point of the thread, and whilst I am always wondering "if there's a cheaper way" to do stuff, and happy to embrace change and new ideas, I have often wondered why you always seem unwilling to take the advice of people more experienced than either you or me, and why solutions that you pursue are often contradictory to the problems that you were looking to solve. For example, KISS is not hybrid drives and automatic collision avoidance, reliability is not home made water makers and winches and in a blue water boat.

However your explanation above makes the thread, or experiment, make perfect sense now, and I wish you all the best with both the boat project and the teens coaching. I'll probably tune out now, as TBH if I'm going to take the time to contribute to a thread I'll usually do it on the basis that someone is looking for advice on boats rather than being part of a social experiment. People get vocal on here as they were trying to help you do what you set out to achieve, splash the boat this year for £20k and people don't like to see a fellow yachtie fail, waste money, or lose heart because they'd set themselves an unrealistic goal.

Anyway, best of luck, offer of the mooring ropes still stands when you get her moving in the water but you'll obviously need to PM me from now on...100 pages in seems like a good time to stop actively following.

Take care and best of luck!

Hey Iain,
Thank you, it was a pleasure having you aboard and I’m sure you will take a peek now and then.
The kids are a bit involved in a few side projects and as kids they love it and try to come up with the most outrageous things possible. I may very well end up with some form of warp drive.
I am however just doing the boat and building it to sail it. Not as a social experiment. The kids are something I have been doing for a number of years and I can’t seem to want to stop. It does take time away but worth it.
The point of the thread from now on will simply be a to report our progress and document where we are. There are a few people that are also looking to see some of the techniques I’m going to use on Oddity and I don’t mind showing.
No goodbyes for you as I’m sure we’ll see you around and I may go there to get the damn ropes.
I will however keep asking for advice and help on things I do not know and hope this time less of what we don't need is shown in response.

Take care as well and the best of luck.
Greg & Phil & Claudia

GregOddity

Visit site

I was with you as a fellow nutter, and and convention defying experimentalist ( always willing to fail) but this bit about fuel tanks is just beyond the pale. It is a 33ft boat, not a destroyer. As I sit here now while Ii write, I am camped at a deep water mooring on the itchen ready to leave early morning in our old tub to tackle as much of the isle of wight as the wind will give us. Sail more in a small boat, like us,,and realise how much easier it would be in a slightly bigger one, even without the hybrid drive etc etc etc. Every heartbeat is nearer to the last one. Get out there now..

Friday.. Can't wait. Going around the solent for a week with the wife.