Botnia Targa 27.2/30.1

CLB

Visit site
Good for you. With a single 440hp D6, approaching 100% in gear in a fairway will be way too fast in that boat.

And I still stand by my statement of 10% in the context of "3 beginners tips for starting out in marina mooring". Your cross tide berth is irrelevant in that context.

You seem to be getting shirty with me, but I am only trying to point out that rules of thumb like 10% will only work in certain situations. If it's windy, even moderately, or if there is a tide element, it may not be enough. Cross tide may not be irrelevant, as we don't know if the OP has a tidal flow in his berth or not.

Elessar

Visit site
You seem to be getting shirty with me, but I am only trying to point out that rules of thumb like 10% will only work in certain situations. If it's windy, even moderately, or if there is a tide element, it may not be enough. Cross tide may not be irrelevant, as we don't know if the OP has a tidal flow in his berth or not.
I'm sure the OP will take all of what we both said into account and hopefully resist the beginners temptation to be in gear too much - whatever "too much" is.

CLB

Visit site
I'm sure the OP will take all of what we both said into account and hopefully resist the beginners temptation to be in gear too much - whatever "too much" is.

I think it can be summed up as: use the minimal amount of 'in gear' time required to maintain control in the conditions you find yourself in.

Elessar

Visit site
I think it can be summed up as: use the minimal amount of 'in gear' time required to maintain control in the conditions you find yourself in.
Nope i really don't agree with that summary. It allows for extra speed to mask poor control, which is exactly contrary to what i was advising.

CLB

Visit site
Ok, agree to disagree then. But in doing so you seem to be saying that it is ok to use so little thrust that you lose conrol :unsure:

Star-Lord

Visit site
This was what I had before moving onto a yacht! This was the 31 and was a good size for extended stays with two people and shorter stays with three. It also had room for a Whisper generator. Guy at Wessex Marine will answer any questions you may have. There is a French dealer selling some Targas with single engines and no fly bridge so a lot cheaper. They hold their value very very well. I think two engines is safer than one! I also think the 31 (maybe 32 now) is the best size... smaller and you may as well stay in B&B's at your destination imo and the 35 or 37 does not really give you that much extra space. A 35 foot sailboat feels like it has about twice as much room a Botnia Targa 31 even though it may not be twice as small. I do like certain motor boats ? IMG_0150.jpg.
IMG_0122.jpgIMG_0131.jpg

Star-Lord

Visit site
Thanks to all for their replies/advice. Having trialled the 27.2 with a 440HP D6, finally signed the contract yesterday. Relieved at the engine warranty (3 years). A little concerned at using a single engine on a boat without motive back-up (at least my last boat had a mast and sails!) - feels like being back to flying single engined aircraft which always kept me alert for any change in engine sound....Anyway, decision made and a huge learning curve ahead, that I look forward to, with a new form of boating to learn. Trim tabs - blimey, what are they etc!

I am sure I will be back for more advice over next few months - thanks again everyone

Please excuse my comments regarding the size of your new boat! I just read the first post and the date it was posted so thought you would still be looking. The Botnia Targa is basically bullet proof and trips across the channel will be safer than any motorway or any other road for that matter. Like previously mentioned if you have clean fuel you are set to go. Double Racor filters should be included?

Bandit

Visit site
You say "Thanks to all for their replies/advice. Having trialled the 27.2 with a 440HP D6, finally signed the contract yesterday. Relieved at the engine warranty (3 years).

I assume you have the information on the Extended Volvo Penta Warranty?

The Volvo Penta "Basic Warranty" is 12 Months and when you have a full service by an appointed Volvo Penta dealer within 12 months , this becomes 24 months coverage.

At an additional cost you can purchase extended Volvo Penta Coverage within your first 3 months of ownership which takes it to a full 60 months coverage, if you decide to sell the boat before 60 months you can sign the warranty over to the new owner which is a good selling point.
See https://www.volvopenta.com/content/...verage/Extended_Coverage_MC_v.2.0_ENGLISH.pdf

I assume you will have the latest new D6 440hp with the new hydraulic outdrive, purchasing the extended coverage is reccommended.

From the point of view of manoeuvring does the boat not have a bow thruster?

stiknstring

Visit site
Just got back and read all replies. Thank you all so much. The discussion on power certainly gives much food for thought. I think the basics hold good whether for sail or power. Too many times I have seen the inexperienced pour on power in tricky situations. I am interested to see how this works out on a power boat. Steer before gear was drilled into me by David at Wessex Marine and I am sure will be the subject of further discussion as they hand over the boat in April. Reading in adVance what I can on use of trim tabs - entirely new concept to me.

thanks also the comment on engine warranty -will follow that up.

boat is Wessex marine’s demonstrator so just delivered and sitting on Wessex marine’s berth at Salterns. As a newbie to motoring, David and Guy’s advice is fantastic. They have demystified the whole process and could not have been more accommodating.

Looking forward to learning a new sport. Thanks again all for your comments.

stiknstring

Visit site
The Botnia Targas, Tarfish and Sargo's are all sterndrive boats (outdrives) and not IPS.

All have Volvo Penta Engines and Outdrives.

Look at the Sargo's also they are good boats.

Depending on what accomodation you want 27ft, 30ft to 35/36ft.

The 30 feels a lot bigger than a 27ft.

If you get a secondhand one get the engines and drives checked over by an independent of the boat owner Volvo Penta dealer.