Boat sinks in Jersey

rich

www.portofjersey.je
To night the fire service rescue boat saves two from a 65 boat that sank in St Aubins bay at six o’clock,

A 62ft Pershing !

Last edited:

Powersalt

Visit site
Pershing 62 sinks

Sad to see that a pershing 62 on route I believe from Guernsey to Jersey on Friday evening hit a unlite buoy and sank within a few minutes. Crew made it to life raft just before it sand and were picked up by helicopter. £1.5m went to the bottom, but no one hurt. The rauderie buoy, was only recently named in mariners notices that it had been hit previous and the light was not working. Oh dear.

rich

www.portofjersey.je
Re: Pershing 62 sinks

Even if it wasn’t lit, it’s been there for a bloody long time! And there was no helo, and no RNLI. The boat must of had a gps plotter, apparently it was doing 46knots.

Newbroom

Visit site

Even if it wasn’t lit, it’s been there for a bloody long time! And there was no helo, and no RNLI. The boat must of had a gps plotter, apparently it was doing 46knots.

46 Knots in the dark, madness, mind you no one has said it was dark just that it hit an unlit bouy.

MapisM

Visit site

Sad story, but good to hear that nobody was hurt.
Just one comment on 46 kts being madness in the dark: I agree in principle, but only as long as 20 is considered madness as well.
The only way to limit the risks involved with hitting something not visible is by going VERY slow - well below any 2 digits speed.

jrudge

Visit site

Yes, see post #1 :).

Ok. Sorry so it was damaged and they could be arsed to write a note but not be arsed to repair it! So somehow it is ok to knowingly leave a bouy unlit in the middle of the sea as long as you publish a notice that likely no one will read. Puttting a temporary light on it would hardly seem beyond the wit of man.

Robin

Visit site

Ok. Sorry so it was damaged and they could be arsed to write a note but not be arsed to repair it! So somehow it is ok to knowingly leave a bouy unlit in the middle of the sea as long as you publish a notice that likely no one will read. Puttting a temporary light on it would hardly seem beyond the wit of man.

Nor would keeping a proper lookout, even of track on the plotter or looking at the radar.

I speak as one who holed his then boat on a (well) lit buoy off Poole at 3am whilst taking sails down under autopilot in a strong cross tide and distracted by needing to free a jammed sheet. Stupid me but at least at under 6kts the damage didn't sink us just ruined my street cred and no claims record severely as witnessed by the teltale green paint marks left down the hull:disgust:

colhel

Visit site

If they hit the buoy and not the hazard the buoy was warning of, it may be they had they the hazard on gps and picked out the wrong light assuming this was the buoy. I don't know the area but Robins post above reminds me of a near miss I had in Poole due to me confusing the many land lights with navigation lights at that time in the evening.

scottie

Visit site

Has this not happened before with uk boat and the delivery crew ended up bankrupt do to no insurance?

BruceK

Visit site

Sad story, but good to hear that nobody was hurt.
Just one comment on 46 kts being madness in the dark: I agree in principle, but only as long as 20 is considered madness as well.
The only way to limit the risks involved with hitting something not visible is by going VERY slow - well below any 2 digits speed.

Even then there is no guarantee. During my summer cruise this year 3 sailboats passed me at silly o'clock in the morning on the flood to cross Caernarfon bar. One struck a channel buoy at 3knts and promptly holed himself. It was an eye opener for me for sure.

Robin

Visit site

If they hit the buoy and not the hazard the buoy was warning of, it may be they had they the hazard on gps and picked out the wrong light assuming this was the buoy. I don't know the area but Robins post above reminds me of a near miss I had in Poole due to me confusing the many land lights with navigation lights at that time in the evening.

In my case the boat was pointingthe right way to between the next two lit buoys, but we were there with a strong ( biggest tides of the year) current running eastso I missed that our track was completely different we hit number 3 buoy on the stbd bow, it bounced away and came back in full attacl mode, putting a football sized hole into the anchor locker, fortunately just far enough above the water not to sink us immediately. The subsequent repair involved cutting out a 3ft x 2ft section and glassing in a new bit, after which it was invisible. I kept the cut out bit as a souvenir for some time. total stupidity at the end of a 6 week cruise to Southern Brittany where we had rock dodged and anchored in some 'severe' locations off the beaten track. we returned via north Brittany and had just arrived direct from St Peter Port, tired and careless, but in crystal clear visibility, no wind and no other boats about. the mainsheet was an easymatic double one and the continuous lines twisted and jammed in a block what I was doing, freeing it, when we hit the buoy, so I could free the main ready to drop it ironically to allow better view ahead whilst we entered our home harbour, which also had unlit buoys in places but not the girt great green flasher that we hit which was very bright as it went down the side after the initial bang.

ningcompoop

Visit site

The buoy?
23758057_10154818320341540_1572348789_n-e1511177754741.jpg

More info here:
http://www.channel103.com/uk-tug-arrive-sunken-yacht-salvage-talks/
and
https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2017/11/21/wrecked-luxury-yacht-may-be-left-on-seabed/

Last edited:

Portofino

Visit site

Post #14 ^^ is pretty factual .
They did not see it simple as that .
It’s was lit ,the bouy
There were two persons it was dark .Not necessarily both were looking ahead , maybe no 2 was doing something else and the helm phaffing with various screens - head down !

I was out the other day in. F 6 daylight on the nose strong wind we had the covers on and the whole front end screen n all constantly blasted with water ( spray ) , Big waves say 3 M or more boat pitching a lot .
Vis wise due to the pitching , spray and the general darkness ( even in the day ) black clouds etc i slowed right down to 20 knots and instructed a mate to watch ,so two pairs of eyes fwd .
Prob is pots littered all over the place , and due to the poor Vis i needed as much lead time to spot them ,them turn away etc .
Reduced speed was a Vis issue or lack of it knowing there stuff to bump into .

However having said that many years ago in the 80,s on a joint excerise with the marines I was skippering a high speed skiff with 21 persons on board at night and stuffed it in appalling weather, on the Tamar just downstream of the bridge .
We ( or I ) hit a bouy and holed the bow .At least this bouy was unlit thought .

Boat sank we all entered the water fully kitted up with life jackets and all were eventually rescued .It was Easter so a bit chilly in the water :)
I was in the Parachute Regiment and we occasionally did these mini joint exercisers ,so s to kinda swap roles for a bit - just in case you never know sort of thing .
They gave me 1 days daylight training ,then that night comand of a raiding boat —- Ah well hitting a bouy at night easily done .
In those days elf n safety was not really heard of in the military, we were always loosing or knackering MOD expensive kit .