Boat sales

billyfish

Visit site
Where do you sell a boat these days ? I'm Solent based and downsizing from my Degero28 but all the yacht agencies seem to want a big rake off 5-10% on a £60,000 boat that's a awful lot of beer tokens. Is there a private way to do it.

Jim@sea

Visit site
In 50 years I have sold 6 boats privately. Before the internet I put adverts in Yachting Monthly and more recently on Boats & outboards and Apollo Duck and advertised a house in France on ebay which found a buyer after 3 years with a French Estate Agent.

Tranona

Visit site
Of course. Apolloduck is probably first port of call. however there is no guarantee you will either get a buyer nor get the best price plus you have all the hassle of dealing with tyre kickers and getting your money securely. Brokers exist because for most they offer value for money in getting the best price with the minimal hassle. That is how they earn their living. However some brokers' charges are less than others and many offer a range of services depending on your needs.

davethedog

Visit site
We have used Apollo Duck to sell all 4 of our previous boats, ranging in price from £8K to £90K. Also bought the current boat privatley (at almost £200k).

A few points that I learnt through these transactions:
  • Prepare the boat for the photos well.
  • Can never have too many (either in the advert or ready to send extra).
  • Produce a very detailed spec list as this can save a lot of questions from prospective buyers.
  • You need to make sure the boat is clean and tidy when you show anybody, as first impressions count (only get one chance to make a first impression).
  • Priced accordingly (to spec, condition and make, model etc) boats sell.
  • Without a broker trust between the seller and buyer is very important as may not have access to an escrow account.
  • Without a broker you will encounter "tyre kickers", for example we advertised a boat that had in mast furling (mentioned in the advert, shown in all the pictures and mentioned again as had a new mainsail) and the person spent about an hour checking everything and was very happy but then said he could not have a boat with in mast furling.
  • It is worth a try selling it yourself first!
DTD

B27

Visit site
Years back, the brokers offered lower commission for 'used boat shows' coinciding with the Southampton show.
Does that still happen?

ashtead

Visit site
Try to use a broker if selling experienced in your particular make as they will have seen a few and advise on any things to help sell. We sold our Bavaria via broker and saved a lot of hassle after having previously dealt via another broker with a time waster.