Better drowned than duffers if not duffers won't drown

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
it is amazing how an anorak will crackle long after the breeze has died
I have been a UK expatriate for most of my adult life and consequently out of touch with much current vernacular and occasionally have trouble deciphering some of the one-liners posted in these fora. But that comment I find as obscure as you did the quotation that initiated this thread.

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
I have been a UK expatriate for most of my adult life and consequently out of touch with much current vernacular and occasionally have trouble deciphering some of the one-liners posted in these fora. But that comment I find as obscure as you did the quotation that initiated this thread.

deepest apologies.... and it was meant to require some unbundling

the distant crackling of anoraks is something that can be heard at places where men meet to discuss obscure things - railway conventions, computer fairs, giant vegetable competitions. Places where detail is more important than the wider picture.

the breeze went out of this thread with the post from alahol

"It would be better if the children drowned than for them to be duffers; if the children are not duffers then they won't drown"

however, the AR enthusiasts seemed unwilling to let the thread die and started talking about where to place a semi-colon

and there is nothing wrong with that

I love to see enthusiasm

Dylan

YachtAllegro

Me - Inverness / Boat - Inner Sound, West Coast
Visit site
There's a short story (written post hoc and published posthumously) that tells how the children collectively wrote 'Peter Duck' themselves, while wintering alongside in a wherry commanded by Captain Flint.

The story is titled "Their Own Story", and I think from memory (but stand to be corrected) that it was discovered by Hugh Brogan -- along with the commencement of the 13th book in the canon, published posthumously as 'Coots in the North' -- when he was doing research for his biography of Ransome.

It is indeed published in "Coots in the North" by Hugh Brogan. Not sure if its still in print, but its well worth getting hold of if you're a Ransome fan. Its not actually a short story, its the first draft of the first couple of chapters of Peter Duck. Its very evocative of winter nights on a wherry moored on the Norfolk Broads, and is worth a read just for that. To while away the evenings, the children and Captain Flint make up the story of Peter Duck, rather in the same way that Ransome had the children start to make up a shipwreck story during the storm at the end of Swallows and Amazons. Its clear, both from this, and from the prior references to PD in Swallowdale, that this is how Arthur Ransome intended Peter Duck to be viewed. That the final novel lost its "story within a story" framing is perhaps a shame, although it does allow a clearer focus on the PD story without the distraction of what would have had to become a parallel "real" storyline set on the Broads - possibly foreshadowing Coot Club. Such chopping and changing between parallel storylines can be made to work, however - the French Lieutenant's Woman comes to mind as an example...

ianc1200

Visit site
? I thought "Coots in the North" was about the Norfolk boatbuilders sons from Coot Club and The Big Six, the Death & Glories, stowing away on a new boat which was taken to the Lakes and launched, only to meet Nancy swimming. Must re-read my copy!

Going back to the Duffers telegram, didn't the real Roger become a WW2 spitfire pilot and the inventor of the asthmatic inhaler?

Sandgrounder

Visit site
? I thought "Coots in the North" was about the Norfolk boatbuilders sons from Coot Club and The Big Six, the Death & Glories, stowing away on a new boat which was taken to the Lakes and launched, only to meet Nancy swimming. Must re-read my copy!

Going back to the Duffers telegram, didn't the real Roger become a WW2 spitfire pilot and the inventor of the asthmatic inhaler?

That is my understanding. I have read the other story, about the writing of Peter Duck, but cannot remember where.

With regard to Roger ( the younger Altounyan boy) I thought he became a vet; but so what?

Lakesailor

Visit site
On an anoraky note Roger worked for Fisons as Principal Research Associate and was responsible for the development of Intal and the inhaler.

(He flew a Hurricane)

prv

Visit site

I got sucked into the anoraks' wiki linked above for a little while last night :)

The actual story "Coots in the North" is as you describe - it was going to be a whole book but was never finished as Ransome couldn't work out a plausible plot for the rest of the story. It was published after his death along with some other writings, including the discarded initial Peter Duck chapters. That combined book took the Coots in the North title - so you're both right :)

Pete

laika

Visit site
I got sucked into the anoraks' wiki linked above for a little while last night :)

I spent at least 10 minutes checking out urban dictionary etc. trying to figure out what "mouse breeder" was a euphemism for before discovering that Ransome bred mice...

Visit site
Titty's name was not an abbreviation of "Laetitia' as some have thought, but was a nickname coming from a (rather unpleasant) children's story called 'Titty-Mouse and Tatty-Mouse' (http://www.authorama.com/english-fairy-tales-18.html).

The actual story "Coots in the North" is ... was going to be a whole book but was never finished as Ransome couldn't work out a plausible plot for the rest of the story.

I think it's fairer to say that the plot was worked out in his head but that he wasn't able to complete the story before his death. Many chapters that had not been written had names, and some had notes and/or completed drafts of part of the chapter. Apparently Ransome's practice was to rough out a story using chapter-headings first, then start writing. But he didn't necessarily write the chapters n sequence -- rather, he'd do a bit here and then another bit there as the mood took him, jumping around through the story.

After the first several chapters, when the D&Gs have got themselves to Rio, Hugh Brogan summarises the contents of Ransome's notes and quotes further writings until reaching the end of the story. Obviously there are plenty of blanks. But I personally am very grateful to Hugh for his editing and for arranging publication of the unfinished work, because, just as the characters of the Ds link the Lakes books with the Broads books, so does 'Coots in the North' bring together the main characters from the Lakes books with the three scruffy heroes of the Broads books.

Mike

Last edited: