Best way to sell a boat....Fairline Targa 47

Omegaelite

Visit site
Looking to sell our Fairline Targa 47 and looking for the best way to sell a boat.

Ive spoken to some people who say put it with a broker, but most are useless. They write crap details, awful pictures and really don't sell the boat well for what they are paid. They last two boats Id tried to buy through brokers, they hadn't even seen and both at survey failed miserably, despite a "glowing" pitiful sales article. Also having spent £100k on it this year, and will be taking a £50k+ hit , I'm loath to then let a broker take another £10-20k on top of that......

So, I written an Add. Very detailed. Taken video & pictures from the jetski, and via drone. But were do I advertise it?

As a private seller are you able to advertise on the main 3? yachtworld, the yacht market and boatshop24? I could find out on them how to even advertise, so is this a broker exclusive club?

Ebay maybe? Has anybody tried this?

Are there any other places to sell a boat that work?

If I can find a way think I want to private sale it over the summer and if this fails then Ill have to put it with a broker......

maybh1

Visit site
Just sold our Trader 44 through Essex Boatyards or Boats.co.uk as they are now

We paid a lump of commission to them but were more than happy with the deal we received

Can't praise them highly enough

May
xx

tetleys

Visit site
I have had success with classified advert on ebay, and also boatshop24. The boat will certainly get the exposure but would suggest a good percentage of buyers will want the comfort of buying a boat of your value through a broker, my sales where between £30k and £70k

I would suggest testing the waters on the above sites but also have a chat with a couple of brokers , who may just have the right buyer and will do a deal on fees.

I bought my T47 earlier this year through JD Yachts in Weymouth, i cannot praise them enough for level of service etc and they would be my first port of call
should i look to sell. I would also be chatting with Boats given their good reputation on the forum and their long standing experience with Fairline and the
high probability that they can put a deal together on a T50

Good luck

Cheers
Tetleys

Portofino

Visit site
Another thread suggest you're after trading up to one of these ?
part ex?
Obviously it's the cost to change -difference.But the dealer will want a margin @ both ends , -but a hassle free way to go
http://www.boats.co.uk/search.php?searchKeywords=targa+50&start=20

Reading between the lines having spent £100k recently I suspect you feel your boat is worth more than the rest or you deserve more ?? -thing is its v difficult to buck the market .
You can all buy try .I sold my last boat in 3 weeks from a Sunseeker Broker ,I pitched it at the bottom more or less out or about 8 .Some had been for sale over 2 y .
I wanted cash to move on .

Omegaelite

Visit site
Another thread suggest you're after trading up to one of these ?
part ex?
Obviously it's the cost to change -difference.But the dealer will want a margin @ both ends , -but a hassle free way to go
http://www.boats.co.uk/search.php?searchKeywords=targa+50&start=20

Reading between the lines having spent £100k recently I suspect you feel your boat is worth more than the rest or you deserve more ?? -thing is its v difficult to buck the market .
You can all buy try .I sold my last boat in 3 weeks from a Sunseeker Broker ,I pitched it at the bottom more or less out or about 8 .Some had been for sale over 2 y .
I wanted cash to move on .

Your probably right we are looking for top money. Having done £40k electronics upgrade, coppercoat £10k, ALL the 5 and 10 year jobs £25k, upgraded thrusters £5k, new hood, auto trim tabs, new windlass/anchor, custom mattress, bedding, plus a million other upgrades and put 3 year warranty on it £7k, total is just over £101k this year, i think its the best t47 in the world. Just dont think a broker would be able to position it like that....

Low t47 is around £225k uk and high £350k. Im looking at pricing it £250k, with a £25k premium for all that seeming reasonable....just worked it out at that price i take a £75k hit for the money spent :( not £50k brain was tired ....

Weve settled on the t50, were going to wait until next season but having two bedrooms is prooving impossible to make work so have decided to now just get on with it.

TrAdein would probably mean me writing off the entire £100k ive spent amd then taking a hit on he boat putting me negative and just dont think i can...

I do it every boat just get it how i want it then want a bigger one :)

Whitelighter

Visit site
Is make your own website up.
See if targa47 fairlinetarga47 targa47forsale targa-47 .com/.co.uk are available.

Very easy to make a very good websites. Get some pictures taken with the boat dressed - at night/dusk always makes interior shots look good. Basically replicate the manufacturer brochure shorts with your own boat. Use a decent camera - don't use a phone.

theyachtmarket and boatshop24 are available to private sellers. Link in your advert to your website, but use the same nice pictures. Show all areas of the boat - at least 10 pictures.

This will help your website get up the Google search lists as well.

Price doesn't seem unreasonable but you need to emphasise the upgrades etc and imho a website is the best way.

admillington

Visit site
Just sold our Trader 44 through Essex Boatyards or Boats.co.uk as they are now

We paid a lump of commission to them but were more than happy with the deal we received

Can't praise them highly enough

May
xx

+1

This is the same discussion we have at work about recruitment agents - we could advertise all over the web and have tried this approach but do you want to waste time dealing with all the fender kickers and most likely the purchasers could already have a boat, so you won't want to do a part-ex. You have a great boat, both in terms of the model and all the work you have done to it - boats.co.uk will sell it and handle all the paperwork, finance if required etc. And if they have a stock T50 or have one coming, they will make a part-ex deal work for you so you are happy with what you get out of T47.

I have done this 7 times with them and it works for me and I am as tight as they come as the money took some blood, sweat and tears to earn.

Steve Clayton

www.aloeland.co.uk
dealers/brokers have access to a worldwide database of boats for sale/sold - boatwizard is one of them.
Boat type, year, state of boat, month it was listed/price, month it was sold/price. location. pictures. etc

My yacht,- and similar; only 8 were sold in the last two years of about 45 on the world market. Gave me all the info I needed to identify the right price to pitch the yacht to sell:D

Last edited:

henryf

www.911virgin.com
I think there are 2 very different types of broker out there.

For the most part I have no time for boat brokers. Their stock is over priced & they add nothing to the process. In many instances they haven't even seen the bloody boat. They are an ancient breed that try to survive on the back of ancient maritime law and tradition.

There are however a small handful of people who genuinely bring something to the table, particularly for people not able to or comfortable with selling such a high ticket item. They provide sound advice, present the boat well and help steer the nuts & bolts of the sale. They will also work for a sensible figure particularly as boat values increase.

Your boat sounds a great buy for someone from your comments on here and you sound a sensible enough chap. Give it a whirl yourself to see if there's a quick sale otherwise speak to Essex / Boats who do have a little experience in the used Fairline market.

Henry :)

benjenbav

Visit site
+1

This is the same discussion we have at work about recruitment agents - we could advertise all over the web and have tried this approach but do you want to waste time dealing with all the fender kickers and most likely the purchasers could already have a boat, so you won't want to do a part-ex. You have a great boat, both in terms of the model and all the work you have done to it - boats.co.uk will sell it and handle all the paperwork, finance if required etc. And if they have a stock T50 or have one coming, they will make a part-ex deal work for you so you are happy with what you get out of T47.

I have done this 7 times with them and it works for me and I am as tight as they come as the money took some blood, sweat and tears to earn.

Admillington: you know these things...is the stock T50GT that boats.co.uk have for sale in Cala d'Or the one the Barkes were running themselves? If so, in the OP's shoes I might just be on a plane to have a good look. Rat up a drainpipe wouldn't come into it. :cool:

Tranona

Visit site
As you have decided on what boat you want to buy, then what you notionally get for your boat, or what you pay a broker is irrelevant.

The only thing that matters is the cost to change - that is how much cash you have to pay out to get the boat you want. This is exactly the model that Boats UK work to. If you can get a deal through them (or another similar dealer) it cuts out all the dealing with tyre kickers, sweating over whether the boat passes its survey or whether the buyer actually has the money etc. of course if you can sell your boat at a good price and have cash to buy you are in a good position. However achieving that on your own with a boat that value at this time of year is not easy - and not helped by having just spent 40% of the value of the boat on upgrades that will only pay off if you keep the boat long term.

I went the part exchange route recently with another very professional dealer. Relatively painless and achieved my objective of getting the boat I wanted for the money I was prepared to put in.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
I had my Phantom 43 on with a broker from September last year until May this year, only brought silly low offers from tyre kickers that thought there was no market for my type of boat yet they wanted to buy it at a very reduced rate. Eventually I sold it myself to a forum member , I based the sale on a no nonsense gentlemans agreement that suited us both and achieved what I expected out the sale price and made a friend as well, and I agreed to look after the boats engines for the foreseeable future.
The want to sell the boat was funnily enough brought on by liking the Targa 47, I still haven't replaced my boat yet as there are no suitably priced condition boats available in the UK so you may be lucky with a private advert based on the condition and all the extras, I'd prefer one with the later light wood and the later radar arch.
With the Euro as it is buying abroad is out the question for us Brits so you may be Jonny foreigner over to look at it.

Or a said take an easy route through a dealer for your Targa 50 hunt.

Omegaelite

Visit site
Why would you spend £100k then sell does not add up

We went from a 30 footer, to the 47 very quickly...having used the 47 now for 6 months its way to small for us. We really need a 58 or a 62 but you cant berth them anywhere on the southcoast easily , So a 50 it is , as it has three bedrooms.
Its a bit of a habit of mine I tend to buy thengs get them exactly as I want them and then want something else....:)

Seastoke

Visit site
Ok good points ,sounds ire some one have a good buy ,as you have advertised it on here , well done

Illusion

Visit site
You could also try Derek at Solent Motoryachts, he sold a boat for us a few years back and we were very impressed with his service and attitude to get a deal done for us. In fact his boatshow is coming up soon as he's been trying to get our T47 on the market with him, but we don't want to sell at the moment.
He does currently have another T47 on brokerage and also interestingly a T50 that I believe is based in Swanwick Marina. Maybe worth a chat?

Good luck.

Phil

Omegaelite

Visit site
Is make your own website up.
See if targa47 fairlinetarga47 targa47forsale targa-47 .com/.co.uk are available.

Very easy to make a very good websites. Get some pictures taken with the boat dressed - at night/dusk always makes interior shots look good. Basically replicate the manufacturer brochure shorts with your own boat. Use a decent camera - don't use a phone.

theyachtmarket and boatshop24 are available to private sellers. Link in your advert to your website, but use the same nice pictures. Show all areas of the boat - at least 10 pictures.

This will help your website get up the Google search lists as well.

Price doesn't seem unreasonable but you need to emphasise the upgrades etc and imho a website is the best way.

Thankyou - hadn't thought of this! Not very good , made in Word ! www.live2play.co.uk - Forgot my warranty was in the £100k and Ive lost a few invoices but not bad for a first attempt ever at a website :)

Omegaelite

Visit site
Want to say thank you for the help. Spoke to a number of brokers today - Who are coming up with options for "cost to change" and options to broker the boat if I don't sell it. And now looks like well buy a Fairline Targa 50 over the weekend :)

www.live2play.co.uk

Omegaelite

Visit site
Also forgot Id included my warranty in that which it turns out is moveable to the new boat @ £10k and Ive lost £3k of invoices , Still nearly a £90k spend .....Big ugg :(