Best Marina in the Ionian?

Halcyon Yachts

www.halcyonyachts.com
Hi All,

I have a client that we are helping to relocate to the Ionian. I was wondering if anyone could advise on the best/most preferred marina in this area? They're not looking to liveaboard, so presumably want somewhere safe and secure with good facilities and good access to a lovely sailing area.

I know Lefkas Marina and Corfu quite well but haven't been out that way for a few years now. Preveza also seems to be a popular place...

I look forward to hearing your advice!

Many thanks,

Pete

Bertramdriver

www.williamsandsmithells.com
Hi All,

I have a client that we are helping to relocate to the Ionian. I was wondering if anyone could advise on the best/most preferred marina in this area? They're not looking to liveaboard, so presumably want somewhere safe and secure with good facilities and good access to a lovely sailing area.

I know Lefkas Marina and Corfu quite well but haven't been out that way for a few years now. Preveza also seems to be a popular place...

Many thanks,

Pete

Hi we're in the Aegean and heading for the Ionian this autumn
All our local guys say Preveza. Good facilities, nice town and close to the airport at Lefkas.

NornaBiron

www.flickr.com
Hi All,

Many thanks,

Pete

Hi Pete,

I wouldn't recommend Preveza unless they want the boat kept on the hard. There are two 'marinas' in Preveza, the one at Cleopatra yard and the one on the Preveza town side. Neither of these are suitable for leaving a boat unattended for long periods.

I'd recommend Lefkada, very close to a great cruising area, good facilities and nice town. I have no experience of Gouvia but I'm sure others will comment soon.

jordanbasset

Visit site
Depends what they want, if they are looking for a place where they will come for a week or two a few times a year in the summer I would suggest Gouvia. Expensive but easy access with cheap flights. Alternatively Lefkas, flights can be more expensive and less frequent, assume flying from Preveza. again not a cheap marina. But it is in a very good location to go North or South. The town is also very good.
Cleopatra Marina in Preveza has same issue with flights but obviously a lot closer to the airport. The marina is cheaper but not easy access to the town itself, but there is a daily shuttle. Although as others have said there are a two restaurants, one in the marina itself and one a short distance away.
There is also a marina in Preveza town but not been there since it became one proper.
Messalonghi is probably the cheapest of all, I like the marina but it is 5 hours from Athens or a longish hike from Preveza. It is also a day's sail from the Ionian hot spots, that said it is no real hardship and you also have easy access to the Gulf of Patras/Corinth. Messalonghi town is a 15 minute walk away but very pleasant and a real feel of Greece about it.

Last edited:

macd

Visit site
There aren't all that many options. I'd echo NornaBiron that Preveza (town harbour) is no place to leave a boat unattended for long periods, largely due to surge (there was a lengthy thread on this a few months back), although this is less of an issue in the summer months. I'd imagine that security isn't the best.

Cleopatra Marina (adjacent to Cleopatra yard and opposite Preveza town) may be OK during the summer months. Preveza (not Levkas) airport is about 3km away; UK flights are April-Oct only, and last year were very expensive during high season.

I've only had passing acquaintance with Gouvia, but it certainly has the reputation of being sound. Obviously convenient for Corfu airport.

From a cruising point of view Levkas surely has the best location, with both the northern and southern Ionian islands readily accessible. Shelter and facilities are good. The town's attractive and just a short walk away. There's a varied and non-too-motley (self notwithstanding) liveaboard community, although that may not be a factor for the OP's client.

Messalonghi, as stated, isn't quite so convenient for the Ionian, although it's only a longish day-sail to the southern Ionian islands. Handy for the Gulfs of Patras/Corinth, too. I haven't been in there for 2 1/2 years, a long time for such a new marina, so couldn't usefully comment further.

I'm in Levkas at the moment and would happily try to address any specific queries the OP might have if he cares to PM me.

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
Levkas and Gouvia essentially cost the same owned by same people. Corfu better for access with daily flights for more of the year Levkas smaller and quieter, both marina and town. Good cruising area from either. If thinking long term possible to buy a lease on a berth in either of them.

jaba

Visit site
my 2c of personal experience north2south

Gouvia: excellent location, rather expensive, very safe generally and weatherwise. Good services, atmosphere ok. flights and in case ferries very frequent.
Preveza. I like the place but it's suitable only on the hard. wouldn't let y boat in town "marina" unattended. as for Cleopatra marina has lots of tide and is in the middle of nowhere. Yards have some reputation but I would like to be present in case of works on my boat.
lefkas: see gouvia less the swimming pool and the plane connections (you have aktio airport near but it's mainly for charters), plusu a better sailing location and and a less touristy island.
Never been to messolongi. hearsay: fairly safe, less expensive, bad or not so good transportation, farther away from sailing areas.
that's all folks
(you have got other possible location ie platarias sivota and a couple marinas on the mainland near mitika, in front of lefkas) another in Meganiipsi, but personally I would favour gouvia or lefkas

macd

Visit site
Just in case anyone's losing the plot, the airport variously referred to as Aktio, Preveza and Levkas above is
Aktion National Airport (PVK), most commonly known as Preveza. It's essentially a military airfield but receives both charter and scheduled flights in the summer months. Of particular interest to UK travellers will be flights by Thomas Cook, Thomson and Olympic, both from Gatwick. Condor also fly charters from Gatwick and Manchester. Sky Express run reasonably-priced shuttles to Corfu on most days.

This Wiki page has more info and useful links to all the carriers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aktion_National_Airport

Last edited:

tri39

www.sailblogs.com
Just checked Sky Express web site and flights Corfu/Preveza run on Thurs/Fri/Sat/Sun.
However have failed to make a booking in April online.
Anyone else managed it yet. I suppose they are one plane down!!

dslittle

Visit site
Gouvia: excellent location, rather expensive, very safe generally and weatherwise. Good services, atmosphere ok. flights and in case ferries very frequent.

(you have got other possible location ie platarias sivota and a couple marinas on the mainland near mitika, in front of lefkas) another in Meganiipsi, but personally I would favour gouvia or lefkas

For your client's requirements, I would suggest Gouvia for the comments above. We kept our boat there for seven years, flying out quite frequently and always found the trip very doable. Bizarrely, arriving in the small wee hours gave us 4/5 hours sleep and then straight into the holiday was a good option (and we are NOT early morning people!!!). The facilities at Gouvia are very good and the cruising ground is great for a week locally or a longer stay will easily get you into the Southern Ionian. Obviously Lefkas opens up the Southern Ionian quicker but with the 'hassle' of getting there/back.
Platerias is a great place to stay and you can get local guardianage (sp) but it is not a marina. There used to be quite a few boats left there permanently though. Sivota (Mourtos) is also a nice place to spend some time in but I wouldn't want to leave my boat there. Another place where a number of boats were 'left' is Benitses which was being developed into quite a nice 'marina' but work there kind of stopped...
At the end of the day I guess that it comes down to money. My boat was worth enough to me to pay the costs associated with the peace of mind of staying in a conventional marina but I could have easily left her elsewhere knowing that someone would 'look after' her but without the security of a marina.

Just Cruising

Visit site
Have spent time in both but Lefkas is my favourite. You can get htere by comforatable bus from Athens and BA fly daily to there as do Olymipic. Lefkas is much more personal and if visiting in the winter there is a always a much better and communicative liveaboard community there. Shops are withing walking distance and the LIDL/Aldi is close. The benefit fr us was that there are a plethora of tradesmen in the locale and good hardware shops within a few hundred metres. There is a real community spirit here that we have not found elsewhere. If it wer me recommending to friends and I have done so several times, Lefkas wins every time for sheer functionality, sheer friendliness and the fact that when the weather is ****ty in the winter the marinero's are out doing their job. The marina manager and his deputy are both sound men and they work hard to pleaee, Gouvia just seems more ecommercial and the only thing it has over Lefkas is a swimming pool.

If they dont try Lefkas for a year they will regret t and as a cruising ground it has everything, wind on the outside and plenty of islands to visit.

Visit site
Hi we're in the Aegean and heading for the Ionian this autumn
All our local guys say Preveza. Good facilities, nice town and close to the airport at Lefkas.
There is NO airport at Levkas. Only Aktion near to those shabby, nasty little so called "marinas" at Preveza where poor people keep their tatty little cruising boats because they are scared to do any open water sailing. Ugh! Is there worse in the locality? WELL YES It's called Vlikho but that is for the seriously badly off!