Best Marina in the Ionian?

alexsailor

Visit site
I am on the Preveza quay and do I see it right, Aktio marina has a travel lift? Since when?

Btw are there any differences between Aktio and Ionian marina (price, service)?

charles_reed

Visit site
As far as I know, there are only 3 "marinas" in the Ionian (the one @ Cleopatra, Preveza is neither big or safe enough to be considered a true marina).

For ease of access from the UK Gouvia has to be the best with regular Flights from Stansted or Gatwick.
Next easiest to access is Messologgi - flight to Athens and a 2-3 hour coach trip.
Longest access is to Levkas, either from Athens via coach and ferry (about 10-12 hours). The alternative of a flight to Corfu, always results in a 24-hr trip with an hotel room being essential.
In cost terms Messologgi is easily the cheapest - but haul out by crane is a black mark in many opinions.

I am amazed by how many praise Preveza - my experience, expensive to use, difficult and expensive to access from the UK and no facilities as the town is a car or dinghy ride away. I will confess to being biassed against Preveza, because I caught an H2N infection there which landed me with double pneumonia in Levkas hospital. But to base an holiday boat there is, IMHO, a non-starter.

Recent ownership changes and new policies @ G&J since their buyout by the Turks, may well rule out Gouvia and Levkas for any private boat berthing - the new policy is for superyachts and charter companies, rather than "difficult" private owners of small boats with shallow pockets.

Personally, having returned for two unconnected reasons to the Ionian after a couple of seasons in the Aegean, I'd not rate the Ionian as half as pleasant as the Aegean for sailing and neither compare with Western Approaches sailing.
Ironically I'm over to Cleopatra for the end of the month - purely for a one-day lift for Insurance Survey - of the 3 yards that side, I'd rate them the most professional, if rather overgenerous with "additional charges".

Last edited:

alexsailor

Visit site
Hi Charles!

I do not praise Preveza but I checked many of the yards (as you would prefer to call them) and marinas (Gouvia, Lefkas).
I do not live the UK so actually my preferences how to reach Preveza are slightly different because I will always take the ferry from Italy and go with a car or motorcycle.

For me it is essential that a yard or marina has a travel lift. So Messolonghi is out then.

From what I have experienced in the Ionian and South Peloponese, Preveza has everything I need (all sort of service , etc.)
If I would be a live-aboard for the full time then Lefkas or Gouvia (since Corfu town is more charming than Lefkas) would be my choice.
But when the boat is left on a hard for more than six months, my decision is as it is.

I was just wondering when did Aktio marina got the travel lift. And they have it.
So my choices are Aktio and Ionian.
And I believe they are more or less the same but I think when you choose a marina, you are not likely to choose another one if service and price are as been told when signing the contract. So as I am a potential client for at least two or three years, I hope I'll get a good deal. Not to mention that I have a nice boat that will more than fit in the yard between a lot of old and some of them abandoned ones:)

charles_reed

Visit site
Hi Charles!

I do not praise Preveza but I checked many of the yards (as you would prefer to call them) and marinas (Gouvia, Lefkas).
I do not live the UK so actually my preferences how to reach Preveza are slightly different because I will always take the ferry from Italy and go with a car or motorcycle.

For me it is essential that a yard or marina has a travel lift. So Messolonghi is out then.

From what I have experienced in the Ionian and South Peloponese, Preveza has everything I need (all sort of service , etc.)
If I would be a live-aboard for the full time then Lefkas or Gouvia (since Corfu town is more charming than Lefkas) would be my choice.
But when the boat is left on a hard for more than six months, my decision is as it is.

I was just wondering when did Aktio marina got the travel lift. And they have it.
So my choices are Aktio and Ionian.
And I believe they are more or less the same but I think when you choose a marina, you are not likely to choose another one if service and price are as been told when signing the contract. So as I am a potential client for at least two or three years, I hope I'll get a good deal. Not to mention that I have a nice boat that will more than fit in the yard between a lot of old and some of them abandoned ones:)

Horses for courses - as it's nearly as easy to get to Thessaloniki from London as it is to get to Athens - I'd eschew any yard in the Ionian and concentrate on the Aegean. 65% of Ionian prices and better sailing.
However I note you live in Italy - why use Preveza rather than Gorizia? Super sailing in the Adriatic and even if a dearth of decent anchorages/ports on the Italian shore, plenty on the other side.

For someone, living in the UK, who wants to enjoy the odd week of sailing in the sun, rather than shivering, at vast expense, on the S Coast. Preveza is too far from flight to boat, even if cost are lower than UK, they're higher than most places in the Aegean. (Excepting the Athens zone marinas).

Tranona

Visit site
Longest access is to Levkas, either from Athens via coach and ferry (about 10-12 hours). The alternative of a flight to Corfu, always results in a 24-hr trip with an hotel room being essential.
Bit misleading, Charles. The bus to Levkas only takes 4 1/2 hours and no ferry. Via Corfu can also be done in a day without an overnight with a ferry to mainland and one way car hire - good for bigger groups. Marina is very high standard compared with others in the area being fairly new and professionally run by the same group as Gouvia, and priced accordingly.

nickf

Visit site
Bit misleading, Charles. The bus to Levkas only takes 4 1/2 hours and no ferry. Via Corfu can also be done in a day without an overnight with a ferry to mainland and one way car hire - good for bigger groups. Marina is very high standard compared with others in the area being fairly new and professionally run by the same group as Gouvia, and priced accordingly.
Also Sky Express ( prop air craft from Corfu to Preveza) timings match up with some uk flights - cost aprox 60 euros.

charles_reed

Visit site

Quite correct about Levkas - I'm using that coach on 14th October to go to a wedding, using the Vasiliki ferry to get to Fiskardo - I'd confused Corfu with Levkas.

However, no one can dispute the changes that are taking place in G Marin's marketing policy - whether they'll be offering any private berths in the future remains to be seen.

Incidentally - air-fare Kavala - Athens €27 - just reinforces my impression of the cost and inconvenience of the Ionian.

Davy_S

Visit site
Quite correct about Levkas - I'm using that coach on 14th October to go to a wedding, using the Vasiliki ferry to get to Fiskardo - I'd confused Corfu with Levkas.
Charles, not trying to tell you how to suck eggs, the Vasiliki to Fiskardo ferry can be iffy if it blows, it can stop running at an hours notice . The Astakos to Sami is more reliable and the Patra to Sami has now started, just a thought if things go wrong.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Bit misleading Tranona :) :) bus from levkas to athens bus station takes almost 5 hours then you have another hour bus ride to the airport .