Best Marina in the Ionian?

Visit site
Glad you made it, not that I doubted you would. We left it another day or two after we last saw you before we ventured back down - but what would you expect from someone who stores their boat in Preveza?

What-ho, Cynthia!

Glad to see that you are still around here. Is it really 2001 that we both joined?

We have stayed put here in Gouvia for the last week since commissioning due to dust storms and thunderstorms. Much nicer to have the "comforts of home" if weatherbound than be holed up in some windblown spot hanging on to one's anchor, I believe.

cynthia

Visit site
Still making waves!

What-ho, Cynthia!

Glad to see that you are still around here. Is it really 2001 that we both joined?

We have stayed put here in Gouvia for the last week since commissioning due to dust storms and thunderstorms. Much nicer to have the "comforts of home" if weatherbound than be holed up in some windblown spot hanging on to one's anchor, I believe.
Yes still around and enjoying the sunshine. Bobbing around the islands until mid July, definitely a fair weather sailor these days!

alexsailor

Visit site
After another summer in Greece I am seriously thinking to berth my SY in Greece.
At the moment (and for last six years) I keep my boat in Croatia.
Prices are mad and I also have to sail down to Greece and back every year.
So after checking out the marinas (I have visited Gouvia, Lefkada, Preveza (all three of them), Kalamata, Messolongi) I have decided that Ionion (Preveza) marina is my favorite.
And now I would like to hear some opinions from you, Greek lovers and sailors:)
First of all I have a 12.8m sailing yacht and my intention is to sail it for two months (July, August) and a week in May and a week in October. So that would be three hauling and launching.
1.) Is Ionian marina safe? I mean safe on a cradle in winter time (storms) and safe from thefts?
2.) I heard that (when on cradle) sails should be removed. But what about the tender (I have 2.6m RIB). Could it be on the deck (tied, of course)?
3.) Is there electricity and water available to all berths?
4.) Can I do all the work (antifouling etc..) by myself?
5.) When working on a boat, can I park my car next to the boat? And when in the water, is there a parking in the marina? Is it free or included in the price of the berth?
6.) Are there any discounts or any other ways that are more "wallet friendly". Like if there is some discount after several months, years in the marina etc.?
7.) Any other things or "small print" issues that I should look for?

I know that I can ask all of that marina, but your experiences are "the law" for me.
Thank you.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
1. I have never heard of a problem. We stored our boat ashore for three winters, perfectly OK
2. I know at least one owner who left his tender under the boat without any trouble. Many other items of kit are left likewise and I see no reason why a tender should be any different.
3. Not sure what you mean by 'berths' here. Ashore yes, water and electricity everywhere. I don't know of any afloat berths in Ionian, is this a new development?
4. Yes, no restrictions that I know of. When we were last there a man next to us was doing extensive welding on his boat. There is a small workshop for owner use.
5. Yes you can park next to the boat although sometimes you need to move it when the hoist is moving another boat. There is a smallish car park between Ionian and Aktio where your car can be left when sailing.
6. Small discount for CA members.
7. One nice bonus is that you can pay in pounds sterling, by cheque and maybe by debit card. No exchange rates or commission. No issues that we found. All in all a really pleasant place to winter.

Visit site
GOUVIA by many a mile. It is just too windy at Levkas, especially if you're allocated a berth on the outer end of a pontoon, the adjacent rubbish tip takes your breath away in southerlies, the berths and turns into them are too tight, the water is hard and of doubtful quality, you cannot get there easily in winter, it is more expensive....... Shall I go on?

Last edited:

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
2013 information . . .

Ionian Marine is a shore hard only, and did not have afloat berths. They allowed people to do most types of work on their boats

Cleopatra was the best organised shore hard, and also had afloat berths. They did not allow certain types of work on boats ashore. Their afloat berths are exposed to westerly/south westerly winds. There is shelter from big SW swell given by the offlying shallows. I don't know how much shelter the pontoons give from any remaining waves in strong SW winds. Until I have seen those conditions, I would not leave a boat untended in that marina for any period of time. Someone else may give better advice.

Suitable berths for leaving a berth afloat in Preveza are just opposite the town. These were managed by Cleopatra yard for a period. I don't know if that's still the case.

For this winter, you'll have to ask each yard what types of work are permitted, since they change their policies from time to time.

More at http://www.jimbsail.info/mediterranean/greece/north-ionian, including links to the marina web sites.

Levkas marina is being re-arranged to accommodate Sunsail's fleet next year, and has only limited space ashore.

Last edited:

alexsailor

Visit site
Thank you all for the answers.
I expressed myself wrong. I am looking for a marina to keep my boat ashore and several months in the water.
So I guess Ionion marina would be perfect.

Bertramdriver

www.williamsandsmithells.com
We just made the same decision after a similar exercise. We are leaving Aegina and heading for Ionian Preveza.
What sold us was reasonable price (13m), allowed to work on and live on boat, good facilities and an efficient attitude.
By comparison Cleopatra came across as a shower of incompetent idiots. Aktion don't have a travel hoist which ruled them out for us.
Will be there at end of September (god willing) so a drink for anyone around on the old Bertram.

jordanbasset

Visit site
We just made the same decision after a similar exercise. We are leaving Aegina and heading for Ionian Preveza.
What sold us was reasonable price (13m), allowed to work on and live on boat, good facilities and an efficient attitude.
By comparison Cleopatra came across as a shower of incompetent idiots. Aktion don't have a travel hoist which ruled them out for us.
Will be there at end of September (god willing) so a drink for anyone around on the old Bertram.

Out of interest is is the type of boat you have that rules out Aktion. Only ask as I was sceptical about their system of lift out but found it the least stressful of all the lift outs I have had.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Out of interest is is the type of boat you have that rules out Aktion. Only ask as I was sceptical about their system of lift out but found it the least stressful of all the lift outs I have had.

Chris Robb is the best person to answer this but he doesn't seem to be around. His boat was damaged at Messolonghi because the tractor sledge supports were too short and did not span the bulkheads in his boat. I know that he researched extensively before using Aktio and was happy with their lifting out.

jordanbasset

Visit site
Chris Robb is the best person to answer this but he doesn't seem to be around. His boat was damaged at Messolonghi because the tractor sledge supports were too short and did not span the bulkheads in his boat. I know that he researched extensively before using Aktio and was happy with their lifting out.

Yes I certainly was happy with it, very professional.

Bertramdriver

www.williamsandsmithells.com

Semi displacement TSDY with a long keel. Problem with sledges is that unless the rear pads are perfectly placed you get pressure on the props and rudders. Planaco use them on Aegina and all I hear from the pro captains is how much damage they've suffered being sledges ashore.

tedgorton

Visit site
Ha ha! I was reading and thought I was replying to an old comment insulting anyone who would stoop to using the "shabby, nasty" boatyards at Preveza... you must have thought you were being targeted by a Green Grease Fetishist!