Being late

simon barefoot

Visit site
Why is it that some people...a lot of people... think that it is ok to let you know that they are going to be late at the time when they should have arrived?
For example. My other half has just phoned me at the time I was expecting her home. Shes working on a bit, then they're going for a meal and a production meeting. So why not phone me when that was decided? I could have gone fishing, but decided to stay home and cook something nice for dinner.
Ferk it, double helpings for me and that includes the wine!
Rant almost over.
But it does seem to be a recurrent theme (NOT from her) these days. Surely if you need to leave at, say, 4.30 to get somewhere for 6, you don't leave it til 6 to let someone know you're going to be late? Surely, at 4.45 you KNOW you're going to be late. Give people some notice.
Deep breath.
Rant over.

Lakesailor

Visit site
It is a symptom of today's society. It also informs you of the offender's priorities.
I tend to disregard any future arrangements until they actually manage to keep to them.

MoodySabre

Visit site
We have a friend who is habitually late. She does not work and her husband is retired. We read an article about lateness and one reason was attention seeking. That was the issue here.

The OPs issue is other people being busy and not really concentrate on the getting home bit of the day. Yes it would have been nice. When my wife goes to visit her daughter and I'm cooking then I tell her to ring when she is leaving.

jamie N

Visit site
My late(sic) Father was generally fairly tardy throughout his life. The very last time that I saw him, he was giving me a lift to Gatwick for a flight that I had to catch to Aberdeen. It was rush hour, traffic to Crawley was dreadfully snarled up and the clock was ticking loudly in the silence of the car.
My Father the ex test pilot, trying to mollify me I think, mentioned that "you're not 'actually' late until the undercarriage is up"!
That's always stuck with me.....! :)

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
And the kids ask me "How did you manage to meet anybody before you had mobile phones?"

Simple, we agreed a place and time and we kept to it!

Robert Wilson

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay
Visit site
A long story cut short for the sake of the readers.

Going from Newcastle to New York. Fog-delayed at Newcastle.
I arrived at Heathrow to catch 'copter shuttle to Gatwick - only 'copter was not flying and I had half an hour 'til Virgin check-in closed. So mad dash to taxi rank with two VERY heavy suitcases. Taxi driver aka Stirling Moss, belted round M25 speaking to Gatwick/Virgin desk advising Mr Wilson will be with you at x, y, then z time etc etc. Traffic got worse and worse.
Got to Gatwick with 5 minutes to gate-close, met by Virgin staff, raced with trolley, priority through check-in, security, passport etc (couldn't be done nowadays!). Everybody really helpful and encouraging.
Belted to Gate, of course the furthest away possible with seconds to spare. Pant, pant, pant, pant,

"We regret to announce Virgin Atlantic Flight number ABC delayed for two hours due to Hurricane Gloria; which had been raging along USA East Coast all day.

WHY couldn't they have told me that sooner???? At the main door, in the taxi, at Heathrow or even at Newcastle. Grrrrrr.

Babylon

Visit site
KEEPING THIS THREAD BOATY:

When I rowed at uni there was one guy (Bow) who was consistently 15 minutes late getting down to the boathouse for training - five days a week!

Although he'd always eventually arrive with a cheery "Sorry guys!" the fact was that he had kept the crew as a whole (a racing eight) waiting a cumulative total of two hours.

One very cold morning, as he arrived with his usual meaningless "Sorry guys!", we all chorused back "Sorry Simon!" as we cheerily picked him up and swung him into the middle of the freezing Thames.

He was never late again.

Robin

Visit site
Years ago I was in Purchasing and one of my then larger suppliers thought it Ok to always be late for appointments, often arriving as I was about to leave for the day. It seemed I was on his way home and therefore booked seeing me as a 'fit in after all the rest' type job. When it came time to discuss annual contracts due for renewal, he pulled the same trick, but was told by the security guards at our gate ( on my instructions) that his appointment was for 2pm and that now at 4pm I was currently in a meeting with XYZ & co, his biggest competitor. Stupid idiot rang next day and blustered about it being no big deal to be a bit late sometimes.. He blustered even more when he lost a big account (mine) for his company permanently and soon after was 'retired early'.

In later years I moved from purchasing to 'sales,' as a self employed manufacturer's agent and I made it a strict rule NEVER to be late for a meeting, even if that meant I arrived early and had to wait outside. Sadly there were customers who didn't operate the same way and I found a few who would happily leave me sat in reception for seemingly hours after the previously and mutually agreed appointment time.

This seems to be a modern trend. SWMBO calls them the '30-somethings' who think they are God's gift and everyone else should fit in with them.[/Rant]

Last edited:

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Once at a briefing by a very senior person (VSP) a group of new people wandered in just a tad late (5 mins).

The VSP, looked over their glasses and pointedly stated that nobody was ever late for her briefings and that the new boys would not be coming out to play today; they had a very unpleasant visit to the office once we went out to play.

I take great delight in using the same technique, people never ever miss my briefings and I am not a VSP.