Being late

Plomong

Visit site
Why is it that some people...a lot of people... think that it is ok to let you know that they are going to be late at the time when they should have arrived?
For example. My other half has just phoned me at the time I was expecting her home. Shes working on a bit, then they're going for a meal and a production meeting. So why not phone me when that was decided? I could have gone fishing, but decided to stay home and cook something nice for dinner.
Ferk it, double helpings for me and that includes the wine!
Rant almost over.
But it does seem to be a recurrent theme (NOT from her) these days. Surely if you need to leave at, say, 4.30 to get somewhere for 6, you don't leave it til 6 to let someone know you're going to be late? Surely, at 4.45 you KNOW you're going to be late. Give people some notice.
Deep breath.
Rant over.

Once, working on a large project with a German main contractor, I received a call from Germany asking me to be at an urgent meeting the following morning at 10:00 in their offices in the Ruhr area, along with a representative of our consortium partner. I was away on site in Spain at that moment, 17:30 in the afternoon --away from our Bilbao offices, that is, and explained the difficulties to the German bloke, but promised I'd do the best I could.

Having travelled through Bilbao, Barcelona and Frankfurt airports, followed by a train journey and taxi ride to their offices, I arrived at the meeting about 10:04:30 plus or minus a few seconds. The meeting convener said to me: "Mr Plomong, you are late". The other participants in the meeting had already left as I had not arrived.

He being the "customer", or at least the visible representative of our direct customer, I chose to keep quiet. Later that day, over a beer, I had the oppurtunity to describe to his bosses boss the journey I had made, and the fact I had been a few minutes late, and had been reminded of it. I hope the little tw*t received his own reprimand from the boss once I had left. Probably did, as when next we met he was all sweetness, but you never know.

Plomong

ricky_s

Visit site
Once at a briefing by a very senior person (VSP) a group of new people wandered in just a tad late (5 mins).

The VSP, looked over their glasses and pointedly stated that nobody was ever late for her briefings and that the new boys would not be coming out to play today; they had a very unpleasant visit to the office once we went out to play.

I take great delight in using the same technique, people never ever miss my briefings and I am not a VSP.

I went to a meeting in the US many years ago, when a few people turned up late the chair made them sing a song in front of us all!

Robin

Visit site
I went to a meeting in the US many years ago, when a few people turned up late the chair made them sing a song in front of us all!

I must try that out on our local home and boat fixers! They NEVER arrive on time. Yesterday we were to meet the refrigerator man at the marina to re-gas the boat fridge at 9am, HIS choice of time to avoid the humidity and high temps later. He finally arrived at 9.45 with no reason for being tardy, whilst we sat around waiting in the mounting heat. There is another guy we could use but he has an even worse reputation for reliability.:disgust:

David2452

Visit site
I have on three occasions arrived at customer's boats to find nobody there, each time I walked after a five minute wait (no contact from customer) and refused to return and would expect to lose the job if I were late without contact, it's simply self centred and rude.

Birdseye

Visit site
Why is it that some people...a lot of people... think that it is ok to let you know that they are going to be late at the time when they should have arrived?
For example. My other half has just phoned me at the time I was expecting her home. Shes working on a bit, then they're going for a meal and a production meeting. So why not phone me when that was decided? I could have gone fishing, but decided to stay home and cook something nice for dinner.
Ferk it, double helpings for me and that includes the wine!
Rant almost over.
But it does seem to be a recurrent theme (NOT from her) these days. Surely if you need to leave at, say, 4.30 to get somewhere for 6, you don't leave it til 6 to let someone know you're going to be late? Surely, at 4.45 you KNOW you're going to be late. Give people some notice.
Deep breath.
Rant over.

Couldnt agree more. My son is infuriating - he is never ever on time for anything however much I rant at him. SWMBO's definition of on time means 15 secs at most before due time. Me? Well my all time record is 2 hours early just to make sure I wasnt late. Even I thought that was a bit daft. An hour would have done.