Laser dinghy cruising.

m25roundabout

Visit site
I could discourse at length on why I think the ideal boats for for dinghy cruising at sea are Wayfarers and similar craft, yet along come two forumites (Mark-1 and PeterV) who have actually sailed Lasers at sea, so I will defer to them.
From the photos in post no. 4, it looks like our intrepid Laser cruiser had the boat well under control as he sailed back. The lifeboat was no doubt providing a bit of a lee, but he was still handling a decent bit of wind and waves. Me, I'd have had two reefs in the main!
Fortunately I had the smallest sail available on my laser, the 4.7m. As for reefing it-not really possible, although I have seen some natty adaptions that make it vaguely possible-but not very safe or efficient.

Mark-1

Visit site
Fortunately I had the smallest sail available on my laser, the 4.7m. As for reefing it-not really possible, although I have seen some natty adaptions that make it vaguely possible-but not very safe or efficient.

Agree. Picking the smallest sail from the range available seems preferable to reefing. I never had any luck reefing a Laser. Seemed to me I always ended up with a smaller sail but couldn't fully flatten it. Better off flattening the sail with everything bar tight than a smaller sail effectively rigged for maximum power.

I'm sure you realized but when people say reef a Laser they typically mean wrap it around the mast, removing battens as required.

Easy to experiment and make your own mind up.

m25roundabout

Visit site
Agree. Picking the smallest sail from the range available seems preferable to reefing. I never had any luck reefing a Laser. Seemed to me I always ended up with a smaller sail but couldn't fully flatten it. Better off flattening the sail with everything bar tight than a smaller sail effectively rigged for maximum power.

I'm sure you realized but when people say reef a Laser they typically mean wrap it around the mast, removing battens as required.

Easy to experiment and make your own mind up.
I see what you mean, wraping it around the sail. My thinking is, if I had even thought it was necessary to reef, I shouldn't have been going out anyway!