B&G Network WIND 496 Masthead Unit

dje67

Visit site
I'm looking for a working masthead unit type 496-10-002. I specifically need a fully-working PCB that fits into the MHU body, as I've got the spar which is in good condition.

Thanks.

dje67

Visit site
Thanks Jaldi and apologies for not spotting the reply earlier!

Had Tinley do a couple of repairs for me, but the repairs have not been successful for me.

If anyone is planning to remove a B&G Network Wind system this winter, could you drop me a wee message. I need to decide if I'm taking the mast down this winter to fit an alternative MHU or whether I can source a replacement to fit the existing hardware.

Thanks.

shortjohnsilver

Visit site
DJE67

A couple of years ago, the MHU on my B&G network packed up and I wanted to replace the PCB and managed to purchase a replacement from cactus around the £90 mark if I recall. Rebuilt and replaced and still going strong.

I had originally spoken with TILNEY who wanted me to send the unit to them and to examine the unit they were asking £160 and that was before they started any necessary repair work! Replacing the entire MHU was extortionate!

Anyway cactus worth a look

dje67

Visit site
Checked ebay, but didn't see it last night, but will keep looking.

Tried Cactus, but no joy for components for older stuff like the Network Wind.

Heckler

Visit site
Checked ebay, but didn't see it last night, but will keep looking.

Tried Cactus, but no joy for components for older stuff like the Network Wind.

This is the guy to deal with, https://www.myleselectronics.com/ send the part to him, he fixes and sends back. Was $200, mate in Gibraltar sent theirs last year, perfect. I understand he does work for Tynley. I am a bit irritated by them. phone them for help and data and I was told, send your stuff in and we will charge you yaddy yaddy yaddy.

NickRoe

Visit site
Hi. Just wondering if you got sorted or decided to do something different as I am looking for a 496 spar because I have broken the plastic thread off where the wind speed bearing attaches. Thanks Nick

dje67

Visit site
Hi. Just wondering if you got sorted or decided to do something different as I am looking for a 496 spar because I have broken the plastic thread off where the wind speed bearing attaches. Thanks Nick
I did manage to get my masthead unit working - there is a new replacement PCB that I bought. Not cheap (£250ish) but it saved me replacing the whole Network Wind system, which integrates nicely with the Network Pilot.

Last edited:

NickRoe

Visit site
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Glad you got sorted. As you say, to have to change the whole system for one bit is a problem. I’m still looking if anyone has anything.

shortjohnsilver

Visit site
dje67 I have a B&G networked system, old but generally fine other than the MHU 496 that has decided to pack up.
Last year the analogue readout stopped giving wind direction, but, I still had wind speed. This year, wind speed has also stopped.
Can you tell me, in your case, had you also lost direction and speed at the readout, this being my situation, although the MHU is happily operating at the mast head? And once replacing with the new pcb all was well?
As you say they’re expensive.
Thanks. Si.

dje67

Visit site
dje67 I have a B&G networked system, old but generally fine other than the MHU 496 that has decided to pack up.
Last year the analogue readout stopped giving wind direction, but, I still had wind speed. This year, wind speed has also stopped.
Can you tell me, in your case, had you also lost direction and speed at the readout, this being my situation, although the MHU is happily operating at the mast head? And once replacing with the new pcb all was well?
As you say they’re expensive.
Thanks. Si.
In my system it was the wind direction that became hopelessly inaccurate. Suspect one of the three direction signals started failing which caused the wind angle display to be useless. Speed was fine. I bought a new PCB and it has been running now for a year and a half with no issues at all. It was very expensive for what it was, but I wanted to retain the full B&G Network system with the ability to use autohelm on wind mode. It was also an eye opener how much I relied on accurate wind direction when manoeuvring the boat in the marina! So, so far no regrets about extending the life of my B&G wind display and keeping the depth/speed/wind/auohelm trio working a bit longer. Replacing it all was a factor of 10 dearer...!

shortjohnsilver

Visit site
Hmm, its rather disconcerting that the wind speed has just stopped now, as it had been showing only last week. I’m hoping that changing the pcb will sort things.
First things first, up the mast to retrieve the MHU and make sure we have connection up there, maybe there is some corrosion at the pins - they are somewhat delicate. If that doesn’t help then I’ll take the MHU apart, extract the pcb and replace with a new one (£320 or thereabouts) reassemble and then it’s fingers crossed!

gregcope

Visit site
Is the anemometer spinning? If not it could be bearings, which are cheaply available (though i cannot find the links...)

shortjohnsilver

Visit site
Gregcope thanks. Yes all spinning and pointing normally. I changed the bearings on it a couple of years ago as it happens and all has been well, until last year when the wind direction gave up. Still had wind speed until a couple of weeks ago and that too has now failed showing zero constantly.
It looks as if the next step is swap out the pcb and hope for the best. Replacement of the MHU is not possible really as they are now unavailable and second hand like hens teeth. Upgrading the system from the B&G network system is not really an option as this would cost a fortune and I'm sailing on a retirement income.
Tinleys basically laughed when I spoke with them.
No, I'll purchase a pcb and hope like crazy.

Mainsail 1000

Visit site
Gregcope thanks. Yes all spinning and pointing normally. I changed the bearings on it a couple of years ago as it happens and all has been well, until last year when the wind direction gave up. Still had wind speed until a couple of weeks ago and that too has now failed showing zero constantly.
It looks as if the next step is swap out the pcb and hope for the best. Replacement of the MHU is not possible really as they are now unavailable and second hand like hens teeth. Upgrading the system from the B&G network system is not really an option as this would cost a fortune and I'm sailing on a retirement income.
Tinleys basically laughed when I spoke with them.
No, I'll purchase a pcb and hope like crazy.
Hi. I think I'm in the same situation as you now as my MHU has packed up also. The PCB board had got water on it when the O ring went in the housing. I had a few joints soldered again on the board that had gone bad and the rest got a general overhaul. This got the wind speed working again but the direction just does its own thing now. Mostly points to starboard around 80 to 100 degrees. Did you ever find somewhere that could supply a new PCB for the masthead unit as I have had no luck in finding one ?

gregcope

Visit site

shortjohnsilver

Visit site
Mainsail 1000, as gregscope indicates the 213 PCB is compatible. They’re not cheap - around the £330 mark if I recall, but, it’s all working now, so happy with that. ?