Audible

Euphonyx

Visit site
The actual book recommendations I've got here have kept me busy but happy! I also have a subscription to Audible. I listen to it in the car and have just finished a marathon run of Patrick O'Brian and John Le Carre. I've built up quite a few credits and am looking for recommendations to spend my credits on please? Also if anyone wants to try Audible I think I can share the books I've bought (is that correct???). If it's correct would it be a good idea to share and swap audible books here? Anyone on for that?

Cardinal

Visit site
Happy to mention some books I have recently listened to on Audible.
Days Without End. By Sebastian Barry
All of Robert Harris’s novels.
All of David Mitchel’s novels- especially The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet.
Martin Walker’s series of Bruno chef de police.
I have enjoyed all of these which while away the time when driving very enjoyably.

Cardinal

Visit site
I should also say that The Riddle of the Sands which is recommended elsewhere proved a remarkably good listen on Audible but I was surprised to find how funny it was, as well as having the intended tension. Highly recommended.

pskudlarski

Visit site
I would highly reccomend: Islands, Oceans, and Dreams
The True Story of a Sailor's Seven Year Solo Voyage Around the World
By: Michael Salvaneschi
Well writtten accunt of a solo circumnaviagation

Poignard

Visit site
The actual book recommendations I've got here have kept me busy but happy! I also have a subscription to Audible. I listen to it in the car and have just finished a marathon run of Patrick O'Brian and John Le Carre. I've built up quite a few credits and am looking for recommendations to spend my credits on please? Also if anyone wants to try Audible I think I can share the books I've bought (is that correct???). If it's correct would it be a good idea to share and swap audible books here? Anyone on for that?

I recently signed up with Audible and am taking advantage of the free books and the deals of the day.

Currently I have Roy Jenkins' biography of Churchill on the go and, for lighter listening, Le Carre's "Legacy of Spies".

I didn't know you could swap books but I would be interested in doing so.

Euphonyx

Visit site
I recently signed up with Audible and am taking advantage of the free books and the deals of the day.

Currently I have Roy Jenkins' biography of Churchill on the go and, for lighter listening, Le Carre's "Legacy of Spies".

I didn't know you could swap books but I would be interested in doing so.

Sorry for the delay.. Havent looked here for a while. You can but I think you'd have to use an email that isnt registered with Audible. Last year I went through all the John le Carre George Smiley series starting with the really excellent radio plays that they made of the series that you can download as a podcast and finishing up with a legacy of spies. Ive been listening to the night manager and single single etc recently. big time investment but worth it if you enjoy his stuff

Visit site
'Sailing a Serious Ocean' by John Kretchmer,
'The Philosophy of Sailing' by Christian Williams,
Tom Cunliffe's 'Sailing Yarns',
'Moby Dick',
are all on Audible, the first on the list is a must-listen really.
'Robinson Crusoe' ,unabridged, is astonishingly brilliant to hear again after 50 years (having been read a childrens' version as an infant), it's one of those books like Moby Dick which works on many levels.

steve yates

Visit site
Ktretchner's book as mentioned above is an absolute cert, fantastic.
James baldwins cruises in atom are on audible,
Cruising in serraffyn by the pardeys is good, as is taliesins tales.
Telling our way to the sea by Aaron hirsch is fascinating.
Sandra Clayton books are on audible but her voice gets on my nerves too much.

Euphonyx

Visit site
West Cork. this is a podcst series by young English journalist couple about the murder of a beautiful french woman in the west of Ireland on Christmas eve 96. The wife of a famous french film director and a cast of suspects from around Europe but mainly the UK who had moved to this remote place to escape their pasts.

Visit site
Sailing the Ogre, by Mabel Stock.
On Kindle Unlimited, ie free to read. and also on Audible (but narrated by a man. Why?)

Blue water cruising tales, on a large, dubious gaff cutter, in 1919-20. Historically fascinating as well crazy cruising dits, and a funny read. I only found it recently..there is a b+w clip of them on Youtube somewhere.
(I wondered if she was related to Charlie Stock RIP, of Shoal Waters, anybody know? )