Are Drones the new Jetskis?

dancrane

Visit site
"Are drones the new jetskis?"

It might be fun to use a drone (or a whole flock of drones) to "buzz" jetskiers who plague quiet mooring areas.

Newspaper headline (with or without misprint): "Jetskier droned". :)

Last edited:

JumbleDuck

Visit site
... but just flying a drone in a public place, following the rules and where there are no flight restrictions in place is no reason to destroy someone else's property, endanger other members of the public, or verbally/physically abuse the pilot.
That's reasonable, but I think it shows that different people have different ideas of what constitutes a public space. Is "ten feet above my back garden" a public space? Is "ten feet to one side of my cockpit" a public space?

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
That's reasonable, but I think it shows that different people have different ideas of what constitutes a public space. Is "ten feet above my back garden" a public space? Is "ten feet to one side of my cockpit" a public space?

IMO ten feet from anyone is too close unless you have their express permission to film them - there is advice on what you can and can't do with your drone, and from a privacy perspective in the UK, if a drone pilot was getting too close to me I'd point them to this advice ...

Drones

Additionally, this is currently how the law stands as prescribed by the CAA ...

1628511506035.png

Only drones under 250g are legally allowed to intentionally fly over uninvolved people (but not crowds).

in addition, all drones must have 3rd party insurance.

My advice is that if a drone is buzzing your garden or boat then film it so you can identify what type of drone it is (to ascertain its weight), and also to provide proof that the flight in your vicinity was intentional - eg the thing hovers near you and pans around. Then find the pilot. If you fail to find the pilot, then keep the footage and repeat the process next time it appears - you'll find a persistent offender eventually.

There aren't that many sub-250g drones and if it is over that weight, and your footage proves intentional flight near uninvolved people or failure to maintain the prescribed minimum distance from uninvolved people then you have a case against the pilot and should get the police involved if you feel it is necessary. If you are lucky then the pilot has no insurance and/or no certificate of competence, in which case they will be fined and have their drone confiscated.

The important thing is to find the pilot and politely discuss your concerns ... the more evidence of anti-social behaviour you have, the better.

lustyd

Visit site
Indeed, though when someone admits that he regularly gets complaints about his hobby one does wonder whether he is pushing other people's tolerance to an unreasonable degree.

No point starting an arms race, just limit the right of use to professional purposes requiring such laborious, thorough and costly training that the amateur would have to be a loony to pay for it...and if he was a loony, he wouldn't be allowed one.

Failing that, I bet one could make a barrage-screen with helium party-balloons and dental floss. :unsure:

Perhaps we could do the same with yacht and dinghy racing. They annoy me by filling the channel and wider solent with boats that get in the way of everyone else, after all...

You do talk some absolute drivel.
If that were the case you'd be able to come up with more useful words than this. As it stands I've reported the post since it adds nothing to the thread but unpleasantness.

Caraway

Visit site
As it stands I've reported the post since it adds nothing to the thread but unpleasantness.
You have ahead start on all of us there. Whenever you post.

Would you like to stand still whilst we throw 1/2 lb plastic toys at your head, complete with spinning propellors? You may redefine toys as being unable to injure anyone. What you said was drivel.

Mister E

Visit site
"Are drones the new jetskis?"

It might be fun to use a drone (or a whole flock of drones) to "buzz" jetskiers who plague quiet mooring areas.

Newspaper headline (with or without misprint): "Jetskier droned". :)

At last a decent use of a Drone.;)

Habebty

Visit site
Here is some really nice drone footage. I can remember seeing a drone as I was coming back up river one day, and searched on YouTube on the off chance it might be there, and it was! That’s me at 2m30s.
I see no problem with sensibly used drones. I guess some people just like a whinge?

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
I'm finding it difficult to see the pleasure in flying a drone. A bit like jet skis. Real fun for a bout 10 minutes after that boredom, which often then leads to mischief.

Flying real model planes on the other hand looks demanding and a lot of satisfaction in possibly constructing one. The flying also seems to mostly take place in a club atmosphere generally well away from suburbia . I can't say that I have ever been bothered by them.

I can certainly understand commercial applications for drones but fail to see a satisfactory level of pleasure in flying them on an amateur basis. Google earth satisfies most peoples needs for various applications for both business and pleasure use. It then just comes down to the photography aspect or perhaps the fun of racing them.

By all means fly them but it surely has to be done in controlled areas. Whatever the rights or wrongs, you have to be able to carry the majority people with you . I just don't see that happening with drones.

ashtead

Visit site
I agree but I have no objection if people want to fly drones over their own land or say open sea etc miles away from others. It certainly seems intrusive to fly them over naturist beaches or indeed clothed sun worshipers enjoying fun with others who wish to engage in private pleasures without the spy in the air. I get annoyed by police helicopters or suchlike overflying and at least they serve a purpose in catching miscreants or policing the M25 etc but I do feel the buzzing of a boat in the marina is really something that we could do without and likewise if I’m enjoying a national park etc. Clearly what are needed are drone flying areas where they can exercise the drones but away from others so we have drone free spaces or they can fly just between October and April over beaches,parks etc . maybe no flying within 3 miles of land is a simple solution.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I agree but I have no objection if people want to fly drones over their own land or say open sea etc miles away from others.
It's well known that people find the noise of light aircraft engines exceptionally annoying - even though they can be quite quiet there is something about the changing pitch and volume which really irritates. As a result, aerobatic pilots are advised to move around when practising and glider tug pilots try to vary their flight paths as much as they can. I suspect that the propeller noise of a drone has the same psychological effect, quite apart from the distasteful invasion of privacy.

ashtead

Visit site
Worse place I have seen recently for aircraft noise is PORTLAND MARINA -Makes Portsmouth or even being near the M25 and Headley court with its Chinooks seem peaceful.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
I could understand just flying them but magic eye.taking pictures etc not on by me. What are the rules for paparazzi. How do know who is flying them if you have a complaint ? Are there markings on the drone to identify ? Is it all worth it ?

Poignard

Visit site
I thought there were drone owners who offered to take footage of your property for money...
In the course of a dispute with a roofing contractor who had done shoddy work I had a survey of my roof carried out by a drone operated by a professional. Before the survey I spoke to all my neighbours about it and none objected. I offered to let them see the footage if they wanted.

The survey cost less than £200 and was crucial in resolving the dispute with the roofing contractor.