Are Drones the new Jetskis?

Caraway

Visit site
Propensity to noise nuisance, privacy invaders and bird/ wildlife scarers!
Bloody things. We had someone arrive at the holiday cottage next door. We were in the garden talking to a neighbour and suddenly this bleeding grey thing started buzzing about. We are not used to this.

I looked up on t'internet and it appears that if they are A1 or toys (less than 250gm) there are no proximity rules (except over crowds. Over that weight they cannot approach within 30 metres of uninvolved people.

So the sort that teenagers fly about are probably without restriction. Booo.

typhoonNige

Visit site
I fish from the boat a lot. An accidental high cast could potentially bring one down and if well tangled I could even return it to the owner!

prv

Visit site
I have heard the charge is endangering an aircraft which I think is a slightly more serious charge.

Possibly; but returning to the airgun, allowing pellets to cross the boundary of your property is also an offence under the firearms act. Firing upwards at a drone isn’t going to involve any kind of proper backstop, so unless you’re on a farm or something you’re committing an offence with every miss, while giving someone else a very strong motive to report you.

Pete

greeny

Visit site
Possibly; but returning to the airgun, allowing pellets to cross the boundary of your property is also an offence under the firearms act. Firing upwards at a drone isn’t going to involve any kind of proper backstop, so unless you’re on a farm or something you’re committing an offence with every miss, while giving someone else a very strong motive to report you.

Pete
Only if they know it was you. :) ;)

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
I rather enjoy drone footage so it would be churlish to complain about them out of hand

All I'd ask of drone operators is that they don't fly them *too* close to my boat nor for too long

Too close was the (commercial) operator who hovered his drone a few metres from my cockpit with the camera clearly pointing in my direction ... I don't suppose the rude gestures towards the thing made for commercially usable footage :)

Too long was the amateur drone that was buzzing around our moorings for ages. Oh how happy we were when the battery obviously ran flat. Oh how unhappy we were when the owner swapped batteries and sent it up again. Best part of an hour of the thing well within earshot was a bit much!

dancrane

Visit site
I think we all know (because it's such basic manners) that we can't assume we're welcome in the immediate space of strangers. If you're in a quiet place alone and a stranger joins you, they cannot expect to be welcome. That gross presumption is the problem.

Anything which puts an 'eye in the sky' close to other people, requires the controller to accept that it may be no more welcome in people's vicinity, than the controller would be in person, if he stood by and stared at them; or less welcome, because it's so anonymous.

If the controller thinks that his not being physically where the drone is, reduces the preference for not being stared at, he's a moron.

I believe there is costly training and guidance controlling responsible use of drones by infrastructure surveyors, etc.

Anyone using a toy to approach people without the sensitivity they'd show in person, is a damned fool not to foresee a hostile reaction.

:unsure: I haven't played tennis for years. I had a great serve, but I lost a lot of balls, so I carried plenty. Still got a racket somewhere. ?