Are Drones the new Jetskis?

PilotWolf

Visit site
Interesting all the technical comments on here given that one or more shut down Gatwick for a couple of day a few years back.

They apparently couldn’t jam them nor trace the operator(s).

W.

Momac

Visit site
A typical drone has the equivalent of a 24mm lens, which is way wider than what you experience as a human - approx 50mm - 24mm is a landscape lens, not a portrait lens - and it's useless for picking out details of people when more than 30m in the air.

... basically, unless it is hovering very close (metres away) the pilot is not going to get much footage that is of any use for "spying" on people. Try shooting some portraits with a 24mm lens at 40 metres.

They are flown lower /closer than 30metres and people don't like it

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
They are flown lower /closer than 30metres and people don't like it

Of course they are, it's legal, and they have to in order to take-off and land.

Those who don't like it need to have a polite conversation with the pilot. Perhaps a compromise can be reached? I have had many people complain about my drone - most calm down when they see the footage and the photos I've taken, some are happy with me staying away from them, but there are always the odd few for which there is no solution other than grounding the drone. These people are best ignored IMO. I calmly explain that they are welcome to call the police because by the time the police arrive, the drone battery needs recharging anyway - and the police will do nothing as long as the pilot isn't breaking the rules.

The world is full of Victor Meldrew characters - not worth getting wound up about IMO.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
The pilot will also be able to pursue a claim for criminal damage, but that will be peanuts compared to what the CAA will be looking for if the damage/injury is substantial.
All very dramatic and worrying, but are the CAA really going to be interested if someone claims his toy drone was interfered with?

ashtead

Visit site
As we were anchored west of Dartmouth back in July when summer was here and paddle boards were inflated etc with stern and ladder down and sun umbrella rigged as I lounged sipping a chilling beer and enjoyed lack of other anchored vessels and little role I did wonder as I checked our position by reference to shore marks what the few but somewhat naked sun worshipers on the beach might make of a drone flight recording the peaceful scenery. Based on what is said above the drone would probably not have picked up that much detail though. I know in The Thai islands drones are banded from many areas ,I suspect where part of natural parks so perhaps the same applies in our national parks?

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Interesting all the technical comments on here given that one or more shut down Gatwick for a couple of day a few years back.

They apparently couldn’t jam them nor trace the operator(s).

W.

Those drones were almost certainly flying a pre-programmed flight plan with the normal systems that return the drone to "base" if control comms are lost overridden

Whilst obviously not revealing much detail about the technology available to the spooks, army, police etc it was in the public domain that technical support had been called in and still they couldn't track or block the things. So logically it's highly likely that the drones had been adapted to require no radio comms neither transmission nor reception

(And I know a little about the radio jamming and tracking capabilities that were available more than a couple of decades ago and there's surely been significant advances since then)

Baggywrinkle

Visit site
All very dramatic and worrying, but are the CAA really going to be interested if someone claims his toy drone was interfered with?

Depends how much damage was done by the interference. Kids toys don't have the in-flight telemetry of something like a DJI drone, it's the first thing that gets looked at when something serious happens.... but interfering with an unmanned aircraft is a bit like pouring diesel on a sharp bend because you don't like loud motorbikes.

How a drone reacts when it is 'interfered with'' is unpredictable, as is the chain of events that interference will set in motion - including the damage/injury it might cause. Drone usage (apart from kids toys) is regulated by the CAA and as such it is their responsibility to investigate accidents resulting in serious injury or loss of life. A small drone hitting a child in the face, or a motor-cyclist, can cause nasty injuries... I almost sliced the tip off my finger with a DJI Mini 2 - I would not want one in the face - and I would certainly not want some idiot to interfere with it and cause danger to 3rd parties.

Baggywrinkle

Visit site
Then you should have more consideration for others. eg you should have the conversation - seek permission first

I do not refer to a take off/landing situation.
You can't have a conversation when the operators position cannot be identified.

I have about 20 mins of flight time, I wait (sometimes days) for the right lighting and atmospheric conditions for a photo and I am not going to ask every Tom, Dick and Harry in the vicinity for 'permission' at the point of take-off - especially when I am legally allowed to fly.

As for identifying the operator, that's the guy holding the controls - just watch the drone for a bit .... it will usually always fly within line-of- sight of the operator ... I can place an operator with just a few mins observation, drones are not easy to position from just the screen video - wrong perspective and too risky unless really high and away from obstacles - unless it's an FPV drone in which case it's the person with ridiculous goggles on.

dancrane

Visit site
Not really about boating though is it.

Can't it be? :ROFLMAO:

I would watch a Youtube clip of one plonker's radio-controlled flying toy being downed by its floating equivalent, again and again.

51364775302_f10db301a3_c.jpg

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Same as UFOs, then. It's amazing what people can see when they want to.

It's obviously a possibility but the authorities took it extremely seriously, rightly, and there were, as I say, credible witnesses who were adamant they'd seen one or more drones e.g pilots

I don't doubt that much subsequent panic was caused by people *thinking* they'd seen one (indeed istr reports that whilst the initial sightings on the first day were probably reliable, the reports from the general public etc on subsequent days were dubious)

But it's a moot discussion now and not really relevant to this thread