Applying barnacle food, suitable rollers.

johnphilip

Visit site
I prefer to apply antifouling in two thin coats using foam rollers to get a reasonable finish. The problem is almost always the rollers soon disintegrate, needing perhaps three to complete each coat.. Has anyone found 4-6 inch foam roller sleeves that last a bit better in antifouling?

Mudisox

Visit site
Harris Trade

HARRIS TRADE MEDIUM PILE JUMBO MINI ROLLER SLEEVES EMULSION 4" X 40MM 5 PACK (6261X)​

Jumbo mini emulsion sleeves designed for smooth, easy coverage on smaller areas such as panel doors and around fixtures and fittings. Enhanced micropoly mix fabric gives optimal paint absorption, great lay-off and minimal spatter. Suitable for use with water-based paints for fast, even coverage and a fine finish. Fabric is heat-fused to the core to prevent unwinding, even when soaked in water or solvent.
  • Suitable for Water-Based Paints
  • Fine Finish & Minimal Spatter
More Info

Screwfix sell them. really good, and able to give a greater length of time between refilling with paint.

johnalison

Visit site
I use 'rough wall' rollers on a light extension pole on my 34' boat. The use of two hands on the pole makes it far less tiring than the roller by itself, as well as saving my back. Two hands makes it quicker and easier to spread the paint evenly over larger areas and therefore with less wastage from irregular overlaps.

And I get less AF on my face. 😆

sawduster

Visit site
These Rota ones are sold by SMG for 2 pot paints and claim to be suitable for solvent paints. Also sold by Toolstation. I have only used the small ones and found them very good. I don't know where you can source large ones.
Rota
We use the 12" rota solvent resistant rollers from Toolstation and they're great, don't fall apart at all. Probably a rougher finish than a foam roller but not too bothered by that.

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
These Rota ones are sold by SMG for 2 pot paints and claim to be suitable for solvent paints. Also sold by Toolstation. I have only used the small ones and found them very good. I don't know where you can source large ones.
Rota
I use the Rota ones from toolstation now, they don’t fall apart in minutes like the ones I used to get.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
And one of these for cats and twin keelers

61kqFCWnfyL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

As long as you're on concrete. Not much good on sand though...
Not for cats, having painted them for 35 years. And how on earth would they roll on gravel anyway?

You use a roller on a short extension, about 3'. Very fast.

They are not that much lower, because you have them block it so that the waterline is head level. It's easier that way.

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
Not for cats, having painted them for 35 years. And how on earth would they roll on gravel anyway?

They are not that much lower, because you have them block it so that the waterline is head level. It's easier that way.
I like the idea of having the boat higher up on more blocks to get between the keels. I don’t think the boatyard manager would be that accommodating, but I will try my luck next time

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
I prefer to apply antifouling in two thin coats using foam rollers to get a reasonable finish. The problem is almost always the rollers soon disintegrate, needing perhaps three to complete each coat.. Has anyone found 4-6 inch foam roller sleeves that last a bit better in antifouling?
You will probably need one more coat with a foam roller. They put the paint on thin. A solvent compatible roller should be fine.

I use mohair or 3/16-inch. Just one coat; who wants to start the 2nd coat with a lumpy roller? Also, the paint is expensive and it is counter productive to apply it unevenly with a worn or inexpensive roller of any type. Peanuts.

wrr

Visit site
Prodec Ice Fusion rollers are the best that I have used. Unlike others, they do not shed bits of roller onto the wet surface of the antifoul.

Stemar

Visit site

That's the easy, expensive version. Mine, as an impoverished pensioner, is sitting on a concrete scrubbing grid between tides or, as now, in the club compound on just enough blocks to be roughly level and a few inches off the ground.

johnphilip

Visit site
Harris Trade

HARRIS TRADE MEDIUM PILE JUMBO MINI ROLLER SLEEVES EMULSION 4" X 40MM 5 PACK (6261X)​

Jumbo mini emulsion sleeves designed for smooth, easy coverage on smaller areas such as panel doors and around fixtures and fittings. Enhanced micropoly mix fabric gives optimal paint absorption, great lay-off and minimal spatter. Suitable for use with water-based paints for fast, even coverage and a fine finish. Fabric is heat-fused to the core to prevent unwinding, even when soaked in water or solvent.
  • Suitable for Water-Based Paints
  • Fine Finish & Minimal Spatter
More Info

Screwfix sell them. really good, and able to give a greater length of time between refilling with paint.
I am afraid you have missed my criteria, I am looking for foam rollers not medium pile.

johnphilip

Visit site
Rota
Thank you, these sound good and certainly worth a try. The concave shaping does sound a liitle odd I hope it does not leave a tramline at the edges when in the middle of a panel, but I will get some.

MikeBz

Visit site
It’s the end that’s concave, not the roller surface - I think that makes it less prone to leaving tramlines as there is a lot of give in it. I’ve used these for several years - they do fall apart after while (I think I used about 3 rollers per coat on a 32 footer) but last a lot longer than the cheap foam ones. Solvent Resistant Foam Roller | Top Quality Topcoat Roller

[edit] that link is to SML Paints but they are somewhat cheaper at Toolstation.

Last edited:

johnphilip

Visit site
Thanks everyone for responses, most seem to be recommending felt or mohair rollers, I would still prefer to stick with foam if possible (I find two of the thin coats they apply cost quite enough without the cost and build up I get with hairy roller sleeves.) The Rota foam ones sound a good place to start and easy to obtain.

Pye_End

Visit site
It’s the end that’s concave, not the roller surface - I think that makes it less prone to leaving tramlines as there is a lot of give in it. I’ve used these for several years - they do fall apart after while (I think I used about 3 rollers per coat on a 32 footer) but last a lot longer than the cheap foam ones. Solvent Resistant Foam Roller | Top Quality Topcoat Roller

[edit] that link is to SML Paints but they are somewhat cheaper at Toolstation.
Toolstation link: they are on clearance, with no local stock.